Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

battery dies while car is runnin

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 03:20 PM
UR2klose
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery dies while car is runnin

my lights radio ect won't stay on unless its being jumped by another car. Once I take off the cables with in a few seconds everythin turns off. I changed the alternator and still havin the same problem. This started happenin afta I went thru a car wash and my alternator got wet (at least that's what I think caused it) because right after I went to flash my high beams and my radio cut off but came right back on... can someone tell me what's wrong here
Old 12-28-09, 05:18 PM
bjf
Driver School Candidate

Check your battery terminals and make sure they are clean. Then check and make sure your battery ground is good to the body.
Old 12-28-09, 05:23 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

is the battery light on while the car is running? If so then check your alt. wiring to see if it could be compromised. Otherwise look into the battery and the terminal ends.
Old 12-28-09, 05:23 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Your hamsters have H1N1.

.............or you have a bad ground.
Old 12-28-09, 07:00 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the terminal make sure it's tight, if you don't have a battery tie down, get one... this happened to me.
Old 12-29-09, 12:47 PM
UR2klose
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StiCk3
is the battery light on while the car is running? If so then check your alt. wiring to see if it could be compromised. Otherwise look into the battery and the terminal ends.
Nah, battery light doesn't come on at all. Not even while the key is turn to the on position
Old 12-29-09, 12:58 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Check the grounds from the battery to the car frame. Then check the water in your water, if applicable. Then check to see if the volts from the alt. are good and at their normal output levels. You may have bought a bad alternator. JMO.
Old 12-30-09, 07:41 AM
bjf
Driver School Candidate

well have you tried any of these things.
Old 12-30-09, 03:34 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

its entirely possible you bought a bad alternator. did you get one new or refurbished? i got a malfunctioning MAF once and returned it for a perfectly good working one.
Old 12-30-09, 08:30 PM
Rawtunes
Rookie

it's probably a bad alternator. the battery is only needed for initial start up.
Old 12-30-09, 08:38 PM
bjf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rawtunes
it's probably a bad alternator. the battery is only needed for initial start up.
not entirely true. i had a battery in my supra that was so far gone that it would do the same thing. i would jumpstart the car and as soon as i pulled the cables it would want to die unless you held the rpm's up. the alt could be putting out enough volts but if the car is drawing more amps than being put out it could do that(with a bad battery).
Old 12-30-09, 08:56 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i had the same thing happen in my civic awhile back. put a new alternator in and it kept dieing. turned out it was the battery, it was so far gone that it couldnt charge. and one battery checker said it was full, the other said it was empty.

try replacing the battery, usually if its under 2 years you can get a new one. atleast at napa you can do that.
Old 02-13-10, 05:37 AM
UR2klose
Pole Position

ok im back almost 2 months later and still havent figured out whats wrong with this car. i had the car on craigslist and got a lot of offers for it but i dont really want to get rid of it because of this.

i put the car in 2 different shops and they were both NO help what so ever. i replaced the alternator about 4 times now (all refurbished). replaced the battery terminal ends. had the battery tested and was told it was good but will buy a brand new one today. i remove everythin electrical i had put in the car (radio, amps, tvs, alarm, and built in police radar) just to make sure nothing was shorting out. i used a test light to check all of the wires goin to the alternator and they were all good except one coming from a plug under the air filter that goes the fuse box. cut the wire at the plug and ran a new wire to the fuse box. tested it with a meter again and its still not fully chargin but is charging more after i replaced the wire. all of the other wires goin to the alternator are good so i have no clue what else to check..
Old 02-13-10, 06:21 AM
BBriBro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the idiot light, have you put a voltmeter on it? I would check it running, and shut off, check the voltage at various RPMs, check it with lights on, etc. As others have said, it sounds like the battery is shot, not just dead, but internally shorted...ZERO capacity. I agree some refurbished parts are no good, but 4 in a row? I'd get a new battery.

Edit: To elaborate, put a voltmeter on the battery, jump start the car, let it run for a bit, check the voltage immediately after you shut it off, I'm guessing it will instantly be way low, then watch the voltage while you crank it, I bet it goes to zero.

Last edited by BBriBro; 02-13-10 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-13-10, 11:12 AM
UR2klose
Pole Position

just put in a new battery & still didnt help. voltmeter is at 12volts with the car running..

Quick Reply: battery dies while car is runnin