Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ticking noise from the engine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 11:45 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Ticking noise from the engine.

Lately my engine started to have this ticking noise, it happens after long drive, you can hear it mostly at idle. Seems like the sound is coming from the valvetrain. I just took the video, what do you guy think it might be? Btw I'm in CA and always use 91 octane gas, car has 106k miles, oil was changed 3k miles ago.

Here's the link (switch to HQ to hear good audio):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcuzsSxu34s
Old 12-18-09, 11:52 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like valve tick to me
Old 12-18-09, 11:56 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

It started like a month ago but the car drives normal.
Old 12-19-09, 12:09 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think my '95 400 has the same issue, except it only ticks when it's sitting warming up.
Old 12-19-09, 12:19 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Sticking valve or what?
Old 12-19-09, 01:23 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

May be time for a valve adjustment. One of them may be out of factory specs.
Old 12-19-09, 06:59 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

valve tick.
Old 12-19-09, 08:27 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a noise like that a few months back.and like you the car ran fine i had a total tune up done before the noise showed up.anyway check your cam gear bolts they may need tightening.take the cover of- with two wrenches tighten the bolts, no more noise check it again after you tightened it.shop almost got me said i may need new engine.good luck.pm me if you need to and let me know how it turns out before you spend money.
Old 12-19-09, 10:26 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by matrixgts
i had a noise like that a few months back.and like you the car ran fine i had a total tune up done before the noise showed up.anyway check your cam gear bolts they may need tightening.take the cover of- with two wrenches tighten the bolts, no more noise check it again after you tightened it.shop almost got me said i may need new engine.good luck.pm me if you need to and let me know how it turns out before you spend money.
Thanks, I'll check the cam gears today.
Old 12-19-09, 12:30 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have heard somewhere, I believe on Lextreme, that the ticking is normal. Mine ticks also, but it drives normal. I aint going to worry about it, unless its starts eating up and spitting out oil. Lets us know what you find out.
Old 12-20-09, 12:20 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Checked the cam gears today, they were tight, engine is still ticking. I guess I'll just leave it as is...
Old 12-20-09, 08:37 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
Checked the cam gears today, they were tight, engine is still ticking. I guess I'll just leave it as is...
hope you find out what it is.
Old 12-20-09, 09:56 AM
enslaved87
Driver School Candidate

Default interesting.

I have a couple theories about this noise. I have yet to see somebody pin point it exactly or discover any negative repercussions.

Both the 1jzgte's in my Supra and my SC300 make this noise. It CAN be a valve shim clearance issue. BUT--I have BC 272 cams in my Supra and stock cams in my SC and those both make the noise when cold starting. And of course I have checked the shims in both engines multiple times at varrying temperatures. Yet the noise persists. Therefore I rule out a tappet clearance issue.

Oiling system. A couple things about this. I noticed when I ran standard dino oil (valvoline 1030) the noise was subtle and didn't persist as long. I then changed it to mobil 1 and HOLY HELL did the noise ever get louder. Drained that crap and put in royal purple 1030 - the noise almost went away completely but this oil also wiped out the aft bearing and labrynth seal on my turbo because it coaks up like a son of a ***** in harsh conditions (even more than crappy walmart oil). Before I put the Supra away for the winter I was running castrol full syn and the noise is subtle and all seems well. I've only had my 1jz SC up and running for about a month and I'm using castrol syn as well in that. The noise is EXACTLY as your video and goes away once warmed up. That is to say, theres just a little valvetrain noise once it's warmed up like any other JZ engine. I think the oiling system might be incapable of providing adequate volume to the valvetrain during cold conditions. This hurts nothing providing you dont start your car do neutral drops.

My last theory is piston slap. Cast pistons are less prone to it than forged which is why the OE uses them (aside from obvious cost differences). Essentially the piston skirt smacks the cylinder wall(bore) after the combustion process. This is caused by the increased tolerance between the piston and the cylinder wall due to the coefficient of expansion differences between cast aluminum and cast iron. Once the pistons swell to their intended operating temperature they take up the extra tolerance and the noise goes away. This is what I think it is in conclusion. Sorry for the rambling...too much coffee today.

PS - don't worrie about your bottom end - it's fine.
Old 01-30-10, 10:41 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enslaved87
I have a couple theories about this noise. I have yet to see somebody pin point it exactly or discover any negative repercussions.

Both the 1jzgte's in my Supra and my SC300 make this noise. It CAN be a valve shim clearance issue. BUT--I have BC 272 cams in my Supra and stock cams in my SC and those both make the noise when cold starting. And of course I have checked the shims in both engines multiple times at varrying temperatures. Yet the noise persists. Therefore I rule out a tappet clearance issue.

Oiling system. A couple things about this. I noticed when I ran standard dino oil (valvoline 1030) the noise was subtle and didn't persist as long. I then changed it to mobil 1 and HOLY HELL did the noise ever get louder. Drained that crap and put in royal purple 1030 - the noise almost went away completely but this oil also wiped out the aft bearing and labrynth seal on my turbo because it coaks up like a son of a ***** in harsh conditions (even more than crappy walmart oil). Before I put the Supra away for the winter I was running castrol full syn and the noise is subtle and all seems well. I've only had my 1jz SC up and running for about a month and I'm using castrol syn as well in that. The noise is EXACTLY as your video and goes away once warmed up. That is to say, theres just a little valvetrain noise once it's warmed up like any other JZ engine. I think the oiling system might be incapable of providing adequate volume to the valvetrain during cold conditions. This hurts nothing providing you dont start your car do neutral drops.

My last theory is piston slap. Cast pistons are less prone to it than forged which is why the OE uses them (aside from obvious cost differences). Essentially the piston skirt smacks the cylinder wall(bore) after the combustion process. This is caused by the increased tolerance between the piston and the cylinder wall due to the coefficient of expansion differences between cast aluminum and cast iron. Once the pistons swell to their intended operating temperature they take up the extra tolerance and the noise goes away. This is what I think it is in conclusion. Sorry for the rambling...too much coffee today.

PS - don't worrie about your bottom end - it's fine.
Well, the thing is, noise comes only when car is completely warmed up, there's absolutely no noise when the engine is cold.
Old 01-31-10, 07:03 PM
93sc3005sp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my sc300 has a similar noise but not as bad but only when engine is cold, just recently starting doing that, it has 185k now and it is probly due for a valve adjustment and ive been running mobil1 10w30, i might switch to a 0w40 weight. THe head is coming off soon for NA-T though

Quick Reply: Ticking noise from the engine.