Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best way to launch an auto SC300

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-02, 11:02 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to launch an auto SC300

Honestly i am getting sick of getting beat in 1st gear by like every car i race. I was wondering what the best way to launch on the street is. I have heard somewhere on this fourm that shifting into neutral, rev to about 1700, and then shift to drive and GO! But a few of my friends that have auto tranny's are like NOOO, and they say i will kill my tranny. But i thought i would ask the helpful and always faithful lexus community. Also, how do you all run?........ECT PWR & overdrive off????? both, one or the other or neither???? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-08-02, 11:16 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i don't know, but i can never get my wheels to spin.

and yeah, don't put it in neutral and rev...i think the best bet is to stomp on the brakes and rev a little and floor it when you let up on the brakes...

at least that's how i did in on my accord...

Last edited by howiedoit; 05-08-02 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-09-02, 07:56 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, that's called a neutral drop, don't do it. The stall on the stock converter is about 2100rpm, hold the brakes firmly and bring the revs up as close to stall speed as you can without breaking the tyres loose, trans in drive, ECT on pwr, and do your thing. Also, it helps if you jump these guys a little from the start, if they complain, ask them 'if I went early then why did you go?'
Old 05-09-02, 08:14 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't have an SC300 but on my SC400 i put the ECT on Pwr and click off the O/D button take off my traction control and when the light turns green I STOMP on my accelerator (imagine a karate side kick to the acc pedal) and the thing takes off. When I hit about 65-70mph I click the O/D back on. Sometimes I am surprised. I look back and say "hey I was just over there.... how the FFFFF did I get here so quick?" Make sure you keep the car in the high RPM's
Old 05-09-02, 09:04 AM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

Alright guys thanks. I will have to try braking while pressing the accelerator sometime this weekend to perfect it. Thanks again.
Old 05-09-02, 02:50 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

I used to neutral drop my 400 all the time (sometimes I would even put it in reverse, get going around 10, put it in neutral, then get the rpms all the way up, then put it in drive.) Needless to say, I dont know what the hell I was thinking (all the smoke sure was cool though )

Anyways, Ive done it ONCE in my 300 and Ill never do it again. Made a slight grinding sound and the engine started wailing. It was no good.

Jason
Old 05-09-02, 05:13 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I was under the impression that nuetral drops are alright... as long as you don't like your transmission, or are trading the car in. Seriously... I thought that was like taking the car out of drive, while going 40 mph, and putting it into reverse... I thought it was about that bad... maybe not quite, but close to it.

John
Old 05-09-02, 07:59 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

rhino, what's the matter with you?
Old 05-10-02, 03:04 PM
krazyazzlexus
Driver School Candidate

Default HOLD DA BRAKE

HOLD DOWN DA BRAKE AND PRESS ON DA GAS...MAKE SURE TRAC IS OFF AND O/D OFF AND POWER ON.....BUT THE RPM LIMITER WILL ON LET U GO TO 2000 RPM....BUT IF U GET A TORQUE CONVERTER THAN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SMOKE THE TIRES OFF THE LINE EASILY WITH OUT HAVING TO DO ALL THE ABOVE....THE CAR IS MADE SO THAT U DONT SLIDE THE CAR SIDE WAYS WHEN YOU FLOOR IT ON BAD ROAD CONDITIONS....ITS A GOOD THING...BUT IT'S ALSO A BAD THING..BECUSE IT MAKES IT VERY HARD TO SMOKE THE TIRES.....I RECOMMEND THE TC...YOU WILL LOVE THE LAUNCH YOU GET....I DO.....I LOVE TO PEEL OUT OF A PARKING SPACE....
Old 04-01-12, 11:52 PM
whooper20
Driver

i used to
- put in "N" rev it high
- switch to "L" and slam on accel.
- let go of brake
-let go of gas at 4000 rpm and switch to "2" and slam on gas (itll grab 2nd at 6000 rpm)
-once in second gear ill release gas at 5000 rpm and switch to "D" and just hold gas till its over
all with o/d off and trac cont.
Old 04-02-12, 12:47 AM
Wicked SC
Lexus Champion

Easy solution to your problem is to add what we call a "Turbo" and I'm sure you're going to start beating majority of those cars!
Old 04-02-12, 01:19 AM
DJ XO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whooper20
i used to
- put in "N" rev it high
- let go of brake
-let go of gas at 4000 rpm and switch to "2" and slam on gas (itll grab 2nd at 6000 rpm)
-once in second gear ill release gas at 5000 rpm and switch to "D" and just hold gas till its over
Lol! Auto trannys just LOVE to be shocked. Lmao. Stall anyone? Perhaps boost?
Old 04-02-12, 02:21 AM
davierogue
Rookie

holy ****ing thread bump, batman
Old 04-02-12, 02:23 AM
davierogue
Rookie

Originally Posted by whooper20
i used to
- put in "N" rev it high
- let go of brake
Also, dont do anything that this guy said. You'll destroy your auto box
Old 04-02-12, 03:37 AM
m1k3yg
Lead Lap

Yep, do a neutral drop at 5k rpms, and your tranny will take a poop on you for showing off your mean 2jz, I must admit I had some fun drifting around the projects showing all them dudes with civics who's beastier, at the price of having my tranny blow on me lolololol so please! Don't do it!

Quick Reply: Best way to launch an auto SC300