Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need help troubleshooting overheating problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 10:54 AM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation need help troubleshooting overheating problem!!

So whats going on is after driving or idling for a decent amount of time just about 15 minutes or longer, i start to overheat slightly, and both upper and lower radiator hoses are plump and pretty hard to the touch, both my waterpump (GMB) and thermostat (genuine Toyota) are new, it doesnt boil over or ever go to the red but its enough to cause concern, could this be air in the system, or thermo or something eles, any help is greatly appreciated
Old 12-10-09, 11:18 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

What is your current coolant mix, (i.e. 50/50, 25/75, etc) and what kind of coolant and/or water did you use when you filled your radiator?

What steps did you take when you flushed your radiator fluid?

How far up does the temperature needle rise above the middle dial point?

Temperature rising over a little due to AC or high heat is normal. Is there a correlation between the AC and the temperature when you observed it?
Old 12-10-09, 11:36 AM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by SUPRMSC
What is your current coolant mix, (i.e. 50/50, 25/75, etc) and what kind of coolant and/or water did you use when you filled your radiator?

What steps did you take when you flushed your radiator fluid?

How far up does the temperature needle rise above the middle dial point?

Temperature rising over a little due to AC or high heat is normal. Is there a correlation between the AC and the temperature when you observed it?
thanx for the reply, but i believe the mixture is 50/50 because i bought the premixed coolant and a little water wetter that i added at the time, but its been fine for a few months now and only recently it started to have this problem, it happens with or without the ac on but 95% of the time i dont use the ac, the needle starts to rise more than normal fluctuation and i shut the car off, im not gonna sit there and wait for it to go in the red, but im sure with enough time of sitting itll get there just fine, the water pump was done at tps here in florida and the thermo was done by me, along with bypassing the heater core due to the upper heater core hose splitting, but after all that was done a few months ago it was fine, im a little stumped
Old 12-10-09, 11:39 AM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

It could be a faulty temp sending unit. I had a similar issue in my dd and the temp gauge would rise and then drop back down. Good luck!
Old 12-10-09, 12:04 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by o6spdracer
It could be a faulty temp sending unit. I had a similar issue in my dd and the temp gauge would rise and then drop back down. Good luck!
i wish it were that simple, but its really getting hot not just the needle moving on its own, but i also just noticed a hair line crack somewhere at the bottom of the radiator, that drips every few minutes, its nothing major but im gonna buy a new radiator anyway before its gets bigger, besides that im gonna try remove the thermo and run it without one just to see if it changes anything, if anyone thinks of something that i can try just holla