Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Let's just clarify the w58 tranny and shifter issue right here in this thread.

Old 04-05-13, 11:57 AM   #31
1slowsc
Driver
Trader Score: (2)

I need to replace my 92 w58 goose neck. If I get a mk4 tripod w58, is it possable to swap the gooseneck on the tripod style transmission? Did mk4 come with goosenecks?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
1slowsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 02:14 PM   #32
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowsc View Post
I need to replace my 92 w58 goose neck. If I get a mk4 tripod w58, is it possable to swap the gooseneck on the tripod style transmission? Did mk4 come with goosenecks?
In short, No.

From what I have gathered the 92-94 SC's can use the MKIII's shifters. But I have not been able to find a short throw shifter.
SpooledSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 11:31 PM   #33
KahnBB6
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (3)

^^ 1slowsc's post is about a year old. I think he's moved on by now.

SpooledSC, the MKIII Supras and SC's both use "swan-neck" shifters but the SC version is slightly more pronounced. Even so, you can use an MKIII swan shifter in an SC. It doesn't sit *exactly* the same way but it will work just fine.

And there is, in fact, a short shifter available: SupraSport's "V3" short shifter for MKIII Supras. I can confirm it works perfectly in an SC as I daily drive with one in my car. It's basically a C's short shifter copy with some slight alteration. Very high quality part.
Old 04-23-14, 01:02 PM   #34
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
^^ 1slowsc's post is about a year old. I think he's moved on by now.

SpooledSC, the MKIII Supras and SC's both use "swan-neck" shifters but the SC version is slightly more pronounced. Even so, you can use an MKIII swan shifter in an SC. It doesn't sit *exactly* the same way but it will work just fine.

And there is, in fact, a short shifter available: SupraSport's "V3" short shifter for MKIII Supras. I can confirm it works perfectly in an SC as I daily drive with one in my car. It's basically a C's short shifter copy with some slight alteration. Very high quality part.
Made a noob mistake and didn't check the year.

I was looking all yesterday for one since I thought I was missing one for my 1993 SC (In middle of 5 speed swap with my 92-94 SC trans) and saw post as current on my phone. LOL!

I end up finding the stock one but I would like to have a short throw for sure. Thanks!
SpooledSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 11:41 PM   #35
KahnBB6
Lexus Champion

Old 06-05-14, 12:10 AM   #36
1slow240
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Hate to bring itt back from the dead again kinda having a hard time with my w58. Screwed up and bought the mk3 one by mistake and still haven't got it to work. Finally figured out the trans mount issue and now that it's bolted up to the block I realized that the hole where the shifter goes is about 2 inches more forward that it was on my 92 w58. Even with my stock 92 swan neck shifter, it hits the front of the trim that surrounds the shift boot.

Anybody know what I need to make this work?

Last edited by 1slow240; 06-05-14 at 11:26 AM..
1slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 12:30 AM   #37
KahnBB6
Lexus Champion

^^ There is actually a shifter extension housing for the W58 that is SC300 specific. You need one of those to make the MK3 W58 work in your car. In this case, it was a part that was offered in the USA and thus is not as big a deal as with the MKIII R154 transmissions. Whether or not it is still available for order I do not know, nor can I tell you what part number it carries. More than likely, unless you have that part number Toyota preferred to list the transmission as a whole item. You will otherwise have to find one of those used.

Note also that the MK3 W58 has an aluminum sandwich plate giving it a lower maximum horsepower threshold than the SC300 and MKIV versions.

You'll also need an SC300 electronic VSS unit (or the Marlin Crawler VSS adaptor to convert the mechanical speedo cable drive to an electronic signal) and a YellowBox V4 to intercept the VSS signal and correct the speedo inaccuracy.

Edit -- This thread details the visual differences between the MKIII Supra W58, SC300 W58 and MKIV Supra W58:

http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/sho...uit-the-soarer

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-05-14 at 02:27 AM..
KahnBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 11:25 AM   #38
1slow240
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
^^ There is actually a shifter extension housing for the W58 that is SC300 specific. You need one of those to make the MK3 W58 work in your car. In this case, it was a part that was offered in the USA and thus is not as big a deal as with the MKIII R154 transmissions. Whether or not it is still available for order I do not know, nor can I tell you what part number it carries. More than likely, unless you have that part number Toyota preferred to list the transmission as a whole item. You will otherwise have to find one of those used.

Note also that the MK3 W58 has an aluminum sandwich plate giving it a lower maximum horsepower threshold than the SC300 and MKIV versions.

You'll also need an SC300 electronic VSS unit (or the Marlin Crawler VSS adaptor to convert the mechanical speedo cable drive to an electronic signal) and a YellowBox V4 to intercept the VSS signal and correct the speedo inaccuracy.

Edit -- This thread details the visual differences between the MKIII Supra W58, SC300 W58 and MKIV Supra W58:

http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/sho...uit-the-soarer

Oh OK I see. Should have just kept the rear half of the tranny and switched all the parts over. But now that the transmission is mounted on the car and everything is put back together, is there any way I can just modify my current shifter to work with this transmission instead of taking everything off and apart all over again? Like maybe bending the swan neck another 1 1/2 inches back?
1slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 11:32 AM   #39
eblick99
Driver

im doing this swap now, thanks for the info. im using an even older W58 out of mkII supra with rebuilt internals and 2jz bellhousing. if anyone is interested i can post pics when i get it done.
14 Corolla Sport
eblick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 09:47 AM   #40
mrnova
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblick99 View Post
im doing this swap now, thanks for the info. im using an even older W58 out of mkII supra with rebuilt internals and 2jz bellhousing. if anyone is interested i can post pics when i get it done.
I have that same setup waiting to be done for my '94. Can we see those pics?
mrnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 09:58 AM   #41
eblick99
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnova View Post
I have that same setup waiting to be done for my '94. Can we see those pics?
here are pics of how it looked out of the MKII...pretty nasty and cracked bell housing. ill try and get pics later today of how it looks now. my car was an auto so im making my own cosole cover out of painted sheet metal, not sure about differences in length between late model SCs and supras vs early model supras (or other w58s for that matter) i just want manual trans

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/main...how-to-id.html

and technically i think this is a w57 as it has an aluminium sandwich plate. or maybe just really early model w58. interested to see how gearing is since the gear ratios of this trans are much closer compared to the later w58s.
14 Corolla Sport
eblick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 09:58 AM

Tags
assembly, diagram, drive, housing, make, mkiv, mt, remote, sc300, shaft, shifter, stock, supra, transmission, w58