Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC - 1JZ swap - ?JZX90 1JZ or Supra/Soarer 1jz?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 07:43 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC - 1JZ swap - ?JZX90 1JZ or Supra/Soarer 1jz?

Ok damn - I just about pulled the trigger and bought a 1jz for my SC400 and found out its from a JZX90
Started Looking at a Few JZX90's.
*Engine IS diff as far as the Hot Pipe/Turbo piping Goes.

"Y" Splitter from turbos has more of a Downward "Y" (for soarer/supra) and the JZX90 has a hard 90degree Elbow heading towards the (US side) Pass fender.

JZX90:

Supra/Soarer:

QUESTION Is, if Both Engines I've found have 5speed trans - Will Either fit in the Soarer/SC chassis and shifter located in correct location?? - intercooler Piping will be diff,or is it as easy as the 1 top 'Y" pipe swap from correct motor??
Old 12-09-09, 06:05 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

soarer. I wouldn't touch that bottom one tho. oil coming out of the intake manifold = bad news on those turbos.
Old 12-09-09, 10:26 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The top one is a Chaser 1JZ that's what i have in my car ,the body plugs are not going to be PNP with your SC , if you are thinking about doing your own harness!!!
It will cost you around 700 to get the harness done.And it's a front sump so you will need and SC3 upper and lower oil pan , strainer, and oil pick up those will run you about $150 to 200. You will need the Y flange from a Supra TT for the oil return it's bolt right to the oil pan but u have to drill and tap it.
The motor mount bracket are different from a front sump to a rear sump.
The one on the botton it look like a soarer if you get that you will only need to extend the body plug harness.If you are not worry about the stock twins just get the soarer 1JZ and go Single.
Make sure you pull the Valve covers off please and check for sludge!!!
Oh yeah the ECU make sure you open them to see if the cap are not leaking.. GL
Old 12-09-09, 04:25 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

Thanks for the Reply's - Thoese are not the Engines In Question....just what I found To show the Diff in the Turbo Piping.
*Wiring I'm pretty Sure I can Do myself as this is not my 1st Rodeo,...I work at LEXUS and have a few FSM elec and body Books to get me through.
So Rear/Mid Sump is what I need for Soarer - Think I figured that out.

TRANSMISSION WISE is My Next Issue of course.

Will SUPRA 1JZ 5speed trans fit SC300/400 w/o Modifications to Shifter, is my next Question?
the 2 motors in Question:

And the other which looks to have a Diff Trans as well as Clutch Fan
This Engine says its a Supra.

I would imagine what fits in the SUpra Works for the Soarer Fitment wise?
Plug wise..I'm sure I have some searching to do.
Old 12-09-09, 05:32 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supra = MK3 and you will need to mod it to fit properly on the SC
Soarer = No mod to the shifter.
Old 12-09-09, 05:43 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

Originally Posted by TLDriver
Supra = MK3 and you will need to mod it to fit properly on the SC
Soarer = No mod to the shifter.
Gotcha,..But No way to Tell if its an Actual Rare 5 speed soarer though correct?

Should I just Roll w/ 1 of those Pictured Above ($2000) and Mod the shifter and Be done..Or pay Extra and Get it all Seperate (Granted R154 Tranny is the Best bang):

1JZ Engine set (no Trans)=$1000+/-
R154 = $600-700
Bell Housing - $300+
all other Clutch,Fork,etc Components = $100-$200

BTW: Car is just another Little project I've started after Finishing a Nissan Build.
Daily Driver thats Goals are Only around 300whp+ if that.Nothing Crazy.

thanks again.Soon as I figure out this Tranny Delima I'm Pretty competent to Search and figure the other items out.
Old 12-09-09, 07:33 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

Actually, from what I understand is that the one with short pcv pipe was a recall due to oil sputter somewhere. So it was redesigned but I'm not to sure if it's true.
Old 12-09-09, 07:43 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

New Style has the Long Pipe like pictured.Short pipe was from an older year Motor.

----Trans wise-----
I guess any 1JZ with a 5speed trans has a R154 yes?and will need the Extension to fit my car.
i was making this harder than It should have been thinking there were 3 diff trans on a 1jz and in all actuallity Its The R154,W58 (swap) if you have a 5speed already or actually Find a Rare Soarer 5 speed tranny which Seem to be Unicorns.
Old 12-10-09, 07:58 PM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

apparently they are not, i put one up in the for sale and i got flammed for the price, the soarer R154 has the swan neck tripod style shifter extention, someone also posted that theirs a shop in the states with a few of them,
Old 12-10-09, 08:11 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

Now I'm on to weither or not get a MKIII w/ R154 w/ manual ECU and wire it to my SC400

Or Soarer AUTo Engine w/ AUTO ECU - R154 seperate,etc etc
Which is the Easiest To wire/configure! Damn these Engines - Waaay to many!
Old 12-10-09, 10:01 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrFairlady
Now I'm on to weither or not get a MKIII w/ R154 w/ manual ECU and wire it to my SC400

Or Soarer AUTo Engine w/ AUTO ECU - R154 seperate,etc etc
Which is the Easiest To wire/configure! Damn these Engines - Waaay to many!
i did the chaser/auto into my orignal w58 sc300 and honestly it was less than 10 wires that i had to find and splice into the sc body harness to make the thing run most of the wiring for the engine is only between the engine and ecm and most of the stuff that did connect to the body were for things that aren't needed to make the engine run. ie a/c, speedo, things like that. however there was a large brown power wire which powered a few of things specifically the fuel injectors that i had to splice to ign power. i did not do an extension to my harness, i still ran the harness to the factory usdm location but it was not long enough to mount the ecm to the floorboard where the stock sc300 ecm was so it was just kinda laying there under the carpet. as far as wiring ecm pinout's i found the soarer pretty much identical to the jzx90. the supra wiring is diffrent. both wiring diagrams are available on the net. i used alldata's wiring diagrams to reference the wiring on my sc300 and they were spot on basically copies of the factory tsrm. everything on my car worked after the swap accept for the temp guage which i had a stand alone unit and the a/c which i didn't hook up as i don't need it here in washington.
if you go r154 you can either do the soarer to get an exact fit or use the supra one and chop the hole in the tunnel to fit the shifter through, but you might find your self hitting the bottom of the center console where the ashtray is, i believe i saw somewhere someone was able to order oem yota parts to convert the mk3 r154 shifter to make it have the longer soarer shifter. just search it up

p.s. oh and do your self a favor if you plan to stay twins for awhile, go ahead and do the upgraded y pipe with the engine out of the car its 10x easier to get the twins in and out.

p.s.s. keep forgetting stuff lol... you already know about the front sump rear sump deal? and the fact that you will need to swap dipsticks and such too when the pans get swapped. one last thing is i believe the chaser has an oil level sensor that the sc doesn't sc just has a low pressure light. you can leave the level sensor in the upper pan or swap the cover plate over if you do indeed swap oil pans.

Last edited by audi2nr; 12-10-09 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 03:38 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what ever became of this swap??
Old 07-31-11, 11:51 AM
MrFairlady
Driver

Originally Posted by megamax
what ever became of this swap??
Further research I found the multiple differences in the 3 motors and did the swap, drove the car for 4 mnths and sold it all. I see enough lexus' everyday and they are pigs just like my supra was so I got another Nissan. Thank you and close thread.