Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Vibration & Hesitation... driving me crazy!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 07:17 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration & Hesitation... driving me crazy!!

Hey everyone... I'm pretty new to CL and I own a 95 sc400 with 134k. I want to figure out how to do repairs myself because I think my mechanic has been taking me. Currently, my car has a really bad vibration, which is the worst at about 1200rpm. It goes away at high speeds. There is also a really annoying hesitation, usually when I'm taking off from a stop light. After the hesitation, I experience a pretty bad loss of power and rough shifting. The car doesn't get on it like it should and it takes me forever to get up to speed.
My mechanic first said the fuel injectors were clogged, so I paid to have them cleaned and it still didn't fix anything. He is now saying my EGR valve is stuck shut, which could be causing the hesitation and loss of power. He also says my motor and tranny mounts are busted, causing the vibration.
I had a friend who is a mechanic look at it and he said the motor mounts are fine, and that if my EGR valve was broken the check engine light should come on, which it isn't.
He thinks it is a timing problem... and I did just have the timing belt replaced. My mechanic claims he has checked and rechecked the belt and it is on properly.
Apologies for the long thread, but this is driving me crazy!! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-09-09, 07:38 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read up some forms in CL and some member had experience with the driveshaft isolator wearing or torn apart.
Old 12-10-09, 01:00 AM
RaphyV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmh95sc
Hey everyone... I'm pretty new to CL and I own a 95 sc400 with 134k. I want to figure out how to do repairs myself because I think my mechanic has been taking me. Currently, my car has a really bad vibration, which is the worst at about 1200rpm. It goes away at high speeds. There is also a really annoying hesitation, usually when I'm taking off from a stop light. After the hesitation, I experience a pretty bad loss of power and rough shifting. The car doesn't get on it like it should and it takes me forever to get up to speed.
My mechanic first said the fuel injectors were clogged, so I paid to have them cleaned and it still didn't fix anything. He is now saying my EGR valve is stuck shut, which could be causing the hesitation and loss of power. He also says my motor and tranny mounts are busted, causing the vibration.
I had a friend who is a mechanic look at it and he said the motor mounts are fine, and that if my EGR valve was broken the check engine light should come on, which it isn't.
He thinks it is a timing problem... and I did just have the timing belt replaced. My mechanic claims he has checked and rechecked the belt and it is on properly.
Apologies for the long thread, but this is driving me crazy!! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Does the vibration happen when slowing down? The reason why I ask is because it seems like I'm having the same problem as you and I'm trying to find out as well.
Old 12-10-09, 12:36 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

It only happens when I'm accelerating, around 1200-2000rpms
Old 12-10-09, 01:12 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Did you have a full tune up? Plugs,wires,dist?
It might be even a bad transmission.
Download a FSM and learn everything you can.
Old 12-10-09, 11:12 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

I did have a tune up... I know he put on knew plugs and wires... my friend who is showing me how to figure things out is a mechanic and said the wires and plugs may not be satisfactory though. what about changing the transmission fluid? i had a transmission service done when i bought the car but i now doubt that he used toyota fluid... my tranny doesn't slip or anything..