Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Calling all auto to 5spd guys! Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 06:46 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all auto to 5spd guys! Need some advice.

I'm about to undergo an auto to manual swap on my 98 sc400 vvti. But just now I heard from another member who's done it on his 97 sc300 that he can't pass smog. He mentioned that everything passes except the smog computer shows a problem related to the tranny, which is preventing him from passing smog. Is this an issue happening to a few of you auto to manual guys? I know most who's done this swap is under obd1 but our vehicles are obd2, so can that be the reason? Can someone recommend some options available.
Old 12-09-09, 06:22 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

slip the smog guy a $50 lol... i dont see how a transmission relates to emissions though???
Old 12-09-09, 06:25 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
slip the smog guy a $50 lol... i dont see how a transmission relates to emissions though???
Smog guys are a bit greedy now a days and all because a few smog cert techs are hooking up people they don't even know, Lol.. Then comes an uncover smog official and they lose their licenses and pay heavy fines. Just what were they thinking? It happened in cali not so long ago.
Old 12-09-09, 08:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i think if you are odb2 they fail you for any reason the check light is on, even if its unrelated to emissions.
Old 12-09-09, 11:11 PM
scfou
Pole Position

That's gonna be a problem. Any suggestions besides don't do the swap?
Old 12-10-09, 08:25 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Turbo819" did a 5 speed swap on his 99SC , just PM or Just search his name an you will see his Threads they are very informative. GL
Old 12-10-09, 08:41 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread... I'd like to know myself. I know smog happens only every 2 years but its tough looking for a place where you can slip them in some $$$ for them to pass you. A lot of them don't do that anymore because of the fine and loosing their license so its not worth doing it on their end.
Old 12-10-09, 10:11 AM
TrackMonky
Driver

Originally Posted by masagsxr
Good thread... I'd like to know myself. I know smog happens only every 2 years but its tough looking for a place where you can slip them in some $$$ for them to pass you. A lot of them don't do that anymore because of the fine and loosing their license so its not worth doing it on their end.
well its all bout networks...u just need to know the rite ppl for smog/test check....

check engine light...just unplug the battery....and head over to the station ASAP....once the check engine light comes on you fail rite away!!!
Old 12-10-09, 12:56 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yUMMYgogo
well its all bout networks...u just need to know the rite ppl for smog/test check....

check engine light...just unplug the battery....and head over to the station ASAP....once the check engine light comes on you fail rite away!!!
I can understand about slipping the tech a 50 dollar bill if it's an obd1, but mine is an obd2 which techs are most strict on.
Old 12-10-09, 11:09 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

That is not going to work. You can't just unplug the battery to reset or clear the code. Been there done that and Smog tech failed us. I'm not exactly sure whats up but he says, his computer does not see any record on the ECU and cannot pass the car. He says drive it a few miles, come back and he'll smog it again. If no CEL, then he'll pass it. He says his smog machine needs to read some record on the ECU since it is clear or has been cleared/reset, he cannot pass it.

The reason I reset it in the first place was "YES" there was a CEL. Cam gear timing jumped one tooth. I knew this before hand before taking the car in for a smog check. Was lazy to adjust it so I thought I give it a shot by clearing it and immediately head to get it smogged. Well, at least its Smog or free retest so we just came back a week later....

yUMMY: I no longer know anyone. Everyone I know or used to know no longer do this because of the crackdown. Only time will tell. Good luck to your smog check staton buddies...
Old 12-11-09, 12:50 AM
TrackMonky
Driver

Originally Posted by masagsxr
That is not going to work. You can't just unplug the battery to reset or clear the code. Been there done that and Smog tech failed us. I'm not exactly sure whats up but he says, his computer does not see any record on the ECU and cannot pass the car. He says drive it a few miles, come back and he'll smog it again. If no CEL, then he'll pass it. He says his smog machine needs to read some record on the ECU since it is clear or has been cleared/reset, he cannot pass it.

The reason I reset it in the first place was "YES" there was a CEL. Cam gear timing jumped one tooth. I knew this before hand before taking the car in for a smog check. Was lazy to adjust it so I thought I give it a shot by clearing it and immediately head to get it smogged. Well, at least its Smog or free retest so we just came back a week later....

yUMMY: I no longer know anyone. Everyone I know or used to know no longer do this because of the crackdown. Only time will tell. Good luck to your smog check staton buddies...
actually i had my check light on...the guy told me to unplug my battery and bring it bak in a hr....i did that...and i passed!!!

but i guess it depends where u go...cause the guy i go to isnt even my friend...

and ya i kno they been cracking dwn on that smog stuff....but hey i dont want any trouble....so good luck to u ppl that are trying get passed!!!

Last edited by TrackMonky; 12-11-09 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-11-09, 02:36 AM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

actually i had my check light on...the guy told me to unplug my battery and bring it bak in a hr....i did that...and i passed!!!

but i guess it depends where u go...cause the guy i go to isnt even my friend...

and ya i kno they been cracking dwn on that smog stuff....but hey i dont want any trouble....so good luck to u ppl that are trying get passed!!!
you can do that and hope it dosnt trow a code on the way there (ecu re-learning), or find what the actual issue is and see if a simple resister will tell hte ECU that every thing is a-okay ;-)
Old 12-11-09, 07:28 AM
Lexsup09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scfou
I can understand about slipping the tech a 50 dollar bill if it's an obd1, but mine is an obd2 which techs are most strict on.
i would suggest starting a new network of friends. if you really want this done but its not going to pass a smog test then damn. i would try to make some new friends in that category so they can pass u on smog.....

otherwise i would say move lol
Old 12-11-09, 09:19 AM
TrackMonky
Driver

Originally Posted by $C300
you can do that and hope it dosnt trow a code on the way there (ecu re-learning), or find what the actual issue is and see if a simple resister will tell hte ECU that every thing is a-okay ;-)
its funny though i bought the car and i had no Check light on...but as soon as i started to smog it for ownership it came on....of course he failed me...but thats when he told me to come bak in a hr!!!

but ever since the smog i never had the check light come on ever since...i dont know what happened to trigger it to go off like that!!!

where are u located in so cal???
Old 12-11-09, 04:34 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Simulator

scfou. If you are going to do an Auto to Manual swap. I would give Dr.Tweak a call or shoot him an E-MAIL 0r PM. He made a Transmission Simulator for my 2jzgte & W58 Swap. The Transmission Simulator makes the ECU think that the Auto Transmission is still in place. With my 2jzgte & W58 Swap I am unable to say 100% that it works because I can't pull any CODES because of the JDM Engine Swap. I would need a special Scan Tool to pull any Codes. In theory the Transmission Simulator should work because it removes any open circuits which would throw the Check Engine light.
Dr.Tweak
404-474-4573
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...-dr-tweak.html
http://www.phoenixtuning.com/forum/m...ca30494cac649b

Quick Reply: Calling all auto to 5spd guys! Need some advice.