Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need help starting car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 02:19 PM
Rawtunes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help starting car.

To keep this short and simple. my car ran fine before this problem started happening. No check light or anything. It had gone through a full tune up a month prior, including a new alternator.

When turning the key, there is no single or multiple clicks, just a humming sound coming from the rear driver side.

Any help with a solution to this will be gladly appreciated.
Old 12-08-09, 02:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

humming sounds is probably your fuel pump. its a good thing.
First try a new battery (or use another car to jump it).
See if you can get it to start clicking.

if you still have no clicking and all your electronics are working in the car then check the starter..
grab yourself a small wrench or metal bar, locate your starter, and give it a few love taps on the side of it (don't hit it hard enough to dent it).
now try giving it another start. if that works then your starter is on its way out and probably needs to be replaced or serviced soon.

I had one SC that I had to do that once every like 10 starts so I kept a small breaker bar in the car until one day i took the starter apart and tons of dirt fell out of it. worked great after that.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-08-09 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 03:01 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No click = no stater signal, Check your fuses.
Old 12-08-09, 09:48 PM
Rawtunes
Rookie

The fuses are fine. I took the battery to autozone, they said it was very low. I'm leaving it there over night to charge. I'm not so sure if the battery was low to begin with or got that way after multiple failed attempts to start the car.

the starter has been replace about 4-5 years ago. they're not suppose to go out that fast are they?

Last edited by Rawtunes; 12-08-09 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 10:48 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

I've seen rebuilt starters fail after a week...I'd say your par for the course on a 4-5 year old starter though if its a reman unit, and it turns out to be bad...Keep us posted.
Old 12-09-09, 08:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

im sorry but no click does not equal no stater signal.
Give the starter a whack on the side and see if it works, then youll know you have a bad starter. they usually don't completely fail all at once.
whacking it moves the brushes around inside which can wear out for a lot of reasons. even the slightest realignment of these brushes will let it start your car up again

although since your battery was bad replace that first. if it doesnt start then try above.
Old 12-09-09, 06:20 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

99 times out of 100 when a starter fails the solenoid will still push the pinion gear out to the flywheel, but the starter motor itself will fail to spin (the sticking brushes you've already mentioned)...hence the clicking. No stater signal is a great and time saving "assumption" to make when no clicking is present (assuming the battery is charged...lol) My colleagues and I usually save beating on things for a last resort.
Old 12-09-09, 08:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

you dont have to beat on it. a tap is all it takes. I had this exact same problem and I read about it for hours and hours. I started checking all the things hoping it would not be a bad starter. after that day was over my buddy came over and tapped the starter with a regular wrench, took 5 minutes after i spent the entire day hunting for the problem. car started right up. starters have a rough life, they die often.

clicking is usually a sign that the battery is too low.
If it doesnt click and all the electronics reset when you turn the key, the batter could be dead. if all the electonics are nice and happy I would start looking at the starter.
Old 12-09-09, 08:19 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

^You win.....but only because my boss would fire me if it took me more than 30 minutes to diagnose a no-start problem.
Old 12-09-09, 09:37 PM
Rawtunes
Rookie

I got the battery back today. The guy said batteries are normally 13? at full charge. Mines read 12 point something.
I hooked it back up to the car, it click once the first 3 tries then starts right up after.
I leave it running for about 5 mins, i shut it off, came back after 20 mins, now the same problem is happening again.

anyone know where the starter is located? lol

this problem has occur before but only during the cold seasons.
Old 12-09-09, 10:54 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

You could have a short causing your battery to drain. Or the battery is old. Battery's should produce 12 volts. A newer battery will produce more, but as long as you are around 12 you should be good. Turn your headlights on and see if they are dull. If they are then it's a battery thing.
Old 12-10-09, 03:59 PM
Rawtunes
Rookie

here's what i done so far:
-had the battery charged over night at autozone
-jump start
-check fuses
-check starter relay

I've tried hotwiring starter also with success
I didnt have enough room to give the starter a little tap with removing everything
I've also found out that the starter was a reman
Old 12-10-09, 04:22 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a volt meter, it's your battery most likely... If you are able to jump start it.
Old 12-10-09, 07:41 PM
Rawtunes
Rookie

Sorry I meant I jump starting didn't do anything. Still no sound
Old 12-28-09, 08:04 AM
v12klr
Driver School Candidate

Rawtunes, I've a 92 sc3 with what seems to be the same issue. Were you able to get your car working again? Was it your starter? Can anyone tell me where to locate the fuses for the starter and alternator and the best way to take the starter off an sc3? Thanks.

Quick Reply: need help starting car.