Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

All mufflers created equally?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-02, 09:41 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All mufflers created equally?

I really want to get rid of my stock mufflers and loosen up my SC's back-end sound and performance. My question is, obviously, are all aftermarket mufflers created equally? For instance between the Greddy MX or Blitz NurSpec and a generic or cheaper muffler, what's the difference? Am I paying an extra $400 for a name stamping on the side of the muffler?

All I'm after is a lighter muffler, non-offensive tips, some sort of performance gain, and a nice mean sound. I might do something like replace the mid-mufflers with a straight pipe and do some performance rear mufflers only. Will this make me fail smog?

I am going to investigate prices at a muffler shop tomorrow or the day after to see where I stand on my limited budget, but beforehand what are your guys' thoughts on the matter? Any advice?
Old 05-07-02, 10:19 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: All mufflers created equally?

Originally posted by lex400sc
I really want to get rid of my stock mufflers and loosen up my SC's back-end sound and performance. My question is, obviously, are all aftermarket mufflers created equally? For instance between the Greddy MX or Blitz NurSpec and a generic or cheaper muffler, what's the difference? Am I paying an extra $400 for a name stamping on the side of the muffler?

All I'm after is a lighter muffler, non-offensive tips, some sort of performance gain, and a nice mean sound. I might do something like replace the mid-mufflers with a straight pipe and do some performance rear mufflers only. Will this make me fail smog?

I am going to investigate prices at a muffler shop tomorrow or the day after to see where I stand on my limited budget, but beforehand what are your guys' thoughts on the matter? Any advice?
Do a search for madmax's "Exhaust Suprise" thread.. then let me hear some mufflers once you get them!
Old 05-07-02, 10:33 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the referral Mark! I was eying Magnaflows at first, but they are up there in price with Blitz and Greddy. MadMax, where did you buy your Magnaflows from and how much were they? What about install? The 14829s look sweet on your SC400. Mark and I are gonna have to pay you a visit and hear them for ourselves
Old 05-08-02, 05:40 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I went to Minute Muffler today, and the guy that runs the place said $150 each for Magnaflow and about $400 out the door with install. Isn't install a snap? Four bolts, and a hanger? I've taken them off, but is putting aftermarket one on the same? He also quoted me on some Borlas too, but I forget the price he gave me.
Old 05-08-02, 07:05 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default magna flow

im no expert, but i remember magnaflow mufflers being loud, lil too loud. could be wrong
Old 05-08-02, 09:50 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

magnaflows are loud. dont' they put those on PU trucks? But installing an exhaust system is easy lex400sc, just like you said, a couple of bolts and washers and you're set to go. The only thing that you have to worry about how to get the car jacked all the way up. I'd hate to pay someone 50+ bucks just so they can "bolt" on a new exhaust system.
Old 05-08-02, 10:20 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

The popular ones on PU trucks and SUVs are Flowmaster cat-backs. There's also a brand called Dynomax, which makes cheaper versions of Flowmaster. I can install them myself without a lift. I did a lot of underside work without ramps, lifts, or jacks. I now have rhinoramps to use, though I'm still not comfortable driving up those things

I think MadMaxSC400 has the Magnaflows and he affirmed they were tame sounding as did the shop mechanic I talked to. We were even discussing removing the mid-mufflers and running a straight pipe through it. According to Pete's Dynos that should reduce a lot of congestion in the rear section and hopefully give me a slight power gain.
Old 05-08-02, 10:30 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

gosh, i wouldn't dare ride up one of those things with my car. there's plenty of "what if's" that come to mind.

on my greddy, i removed the two resonators or mufflers and had it straight through to the mufflers. i experienced a slight increase in the lower rpm and a lot on the upper range. that's just me though... no dyno, just butt dyno. hehe
Old 05-08-02, 10:32 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a pic of MadMaxSC400's Magnaflow 14829 mufflers from a recent thread. I think they look the best out of all the SC mufflers I've seen. Not at all pretentious...

From Magnaflow's site...

MadMaxSC400...
Attached Thumbnails All mufflers created equally?-magnaflowsc.jpg  
Old 05-08-02, 10:37 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I was considering Greddy MX too, after everyone here that had them was raving about the sound output, but they are a little pricey. Not to mention I can't find a dealer around here that carries them. Well I haven't looked at through the rice shops in Milpitas yet, but still the price factor plays a big role since I'm unemployed and using a lot of savings money to pay monthly expenses . I could have wheels and a kit by now if I got my lazy *** up and got a job, but good paying part-time work is hard to find around here these days.
Old 05-08-02, 10:50 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

the Greddy is hard to find, but if you want, Greddy headquarters is in IRvine, which is nearby, i could always give them a call for ya!

i haven't been working in a while too, but i'm just busy with school now. i really really want the AC kit and some hid's and some 19's, but need Hid's first. I need to win the lottery....
Old 05-08-02, 10:58 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Tell me about it... school is the whole reason was laid-off from my job in the first place. Now it's hard to find a decent part-time gig that makes me around $20/hr other than construction. How much were your Greddy's anyway? I forget the exact price, but I remember they weren't cheap.
Old 05-08-02, 11:00 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

do-luck,
do i remember you saying that you got the greddy pretty cheap? can you tell now?
Old 05-09-02, 05:43 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default exhaust

to be honest alot of the price is the sound and look. any straight though muffler will flow about the same IMO, but the construction, sound and looks will vary.

the Dynomax turbo muffler might be a cheap muffler, but they flow well and are very quiet.
when i had my turbo AWD talon, the DYNOMAX turbo muffler was a good, cheap, stock looking, well flowing muffler. we liked keeping our DSM's looking and sounding stock, made it all the more fun when we would take out the new vettes.

the only thing with big names like Greddy is the're manderal bent, Extremely quiet, and are street legal (sound). I would love to buy one, but $800 for 10 hp just doesnt make sense to me.
Old 05-09-02, 06:03 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Chairmnofthbord, how much was your Dynomax muffler? Does the DSM have twin muflers or one? I think $300 for a pair of Magnaflows is a decent price. I'll probably be getting them before the end of the week unless someone here gives me a reason otherwise.

Do-luck, you said that for install I'll need washers? What, how who, when, where? Are these for the hangers? I can reuse my stock muffler bolts, no?

Quick Reply: All mufflers created equally?