Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How do I remove the alternator on my 98 SC400 without removing power steering pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-09, 06:03 PM
98supra6sp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How do I remove the alternator on my 98 SC400 without removing power steering pulley?

Hey guys, I have searched several old threads regarding removal of my father's alternator from his 98 SC400. I came to visit him here in Nashville and his alternator was dead. I have been trying to remove this stupid thing with my extremely limited selection of Chinese tools. Anyways, I have the serpentine belt removed, the rear plug and ground connections as well as the top nut and lower bolt of this alternator. Every single time that I have tried to rotate this alternator and slide it forward it gets stuck behind the power steering pulley. I do not see a single way of getting this alternator off without somehow removing the power steering pulley. I tried putting a pry bar through the cut outs in the pulley but no matter how hard I tried to remove the nut on the front of the pulley --No budging it. I was fearful that I might bend, warp or damage this power steering pulley. A few of the threads that I downloaded made absolutely no mention of the removal of the pulley. I of course have no impact gun. I have very limited knowledge of how to remove this pulley. I fly back to MI tomorrow afternoon and I really do not want to leave my Dad's car completely taken apart and he does not know a single mechanic--Let alone one that I would trust to put every single bolt back. If anyone has attempted this job successfully on a 98-00 SC400 without removing the powersteering pulley PLEASE let me know how to do it!!
Old 12-30-09, 02:21 PM
royaltyrsp
Driver

is there any method to do this? I am in the process now and am having alot of trouble with the pulley remover i rented from autozone
Old 01-01-10, 01:08 PM
edinlexv8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I upgraded my alternator 2 weeks ago and I can tell you from experience, to replace the alternator you dont have to take the power steering pump (but my car was on the ramp, so I could access from underneath the car).
Old 01-01-10, 07:36 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest just trying to remove the power steering pump itself insted of the pulley. Remove your serpentine belt, then go thru the pulley holes and remove the pump, dont remove any lines, just tweak it off to the side or out of the way and remove your alternator.

You shouldnt have to remove the PS pulley to get the alternator off. Take a new approach.
Old 01-02-10, 07:09 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

Originally Posted by 98supra6sp
I tried putting a pry bar through the cut outs in the pulley but no matter how hard I tried to remove the nut on the front of the pulley --No budging it. I was fearful that I might bend, warp or damage this power steering pulley.
The nut is reverse threaded. Turn as if you're tightening

Edit: nope I was wrong. it's threaded in the normal direction.

Last edited by Da Coupe; 01-09-13 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-02-10, 10:30 PM
98supra6sp
Driver

Default Powersteering Pulley has to be removed!!

I had everyone and their grandmother tell me that the power steering pulley was pressed on and that I needed to rent a power steering pulley puller. I had very limited time and tools when I tried replacing my father's alternator during the Thanksgiving weekend. The comment before this one is 100% correct. The power steering pulley is held on with a threaded nut. I jammed a large pry bar through the pulley holes, to prevent it from rotating. Once held in place properly by the pry bar--I was able to finally remove the nut holding the pulley on. There is absolutely no way to get that ALTERNATOR OFF WITHOUT removing this pulley. I tried, believe me. It was also not fun trying to pull that alternator out through the bottom, I had to unbolt several brackets that held the power steering lines in place. It was a very tight fit going in and out. Needless to say I finished the job. I just wish I would have had the correct tools to do the job.
Old 01-17-11, 10:19 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 98supra6sp
The power steering pulley is held on with a threaded nut. I jammed a large pry bar through the pulley holes, to prevent it from rotating. Once held in place properly by the pry bar--I was able to finally remove the nut holding the pulley on. There is absolutely no way to get that ALTERNATOR OFF WITHOUT removing this pulley.
So can you tell me if it's true you have to turn the PS pulley nut counter-clockwise to remove it? Also, did you need a pulley puller?
Old 01-18-11, 05:10 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless the vvti 1uz's are different... which I dont think so, the alternator clears the ps pump and comes out... If not and you realy are having a hard time, remove the ps pump, its only a few bolts.
Old 01-18-11, 12:39 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Unless the vvti 1uz's are different... which I dont think so, the alternator clears the ps pump and comes out... If not and you realy are having a hard time, remove the ps pump, its only a few bolts.
Yea mine always comes out alone.
Old 01-27-11, 05:24 PM
scfou
Pole Position

The PS pulley must come out if you have a 98+ vvti sc400. No other options. Pre 98's are the models that clear the alternator. Sucks! Can someone tell me is it counter-clockwise the way to remove the PS pulley nut?
Old 10-01-12, 08:07 PM
kponti
Driver

No the power steering pulley nut is lefty loosie, righty tightie just like any normal nut
Old 01-09-13, 08:08 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

Just pulled off the pulley again today and yes it's threaded in the normal direction and not reversed like i said earlier. I remember trying like hell to take it off and must've gotten confused on which direction it came off... whoops