Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Future SC300 owner with questions, performance and some others

Old 11-20-09, 03:50 PM
thefiveoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Future SC300 owner with questions, performance and some others

Bare with me, I am trying to find out as much info as possible, and am very curious, lol. I have some long term goals for the car, mostly because I don't want to blow everything I have at once, and want it done right the first time.

First and foremost, maintanance. I just got out of the dsm game, and know that maintanance is key to keeping a car running strong. I have a few cars that I am eyeing and just wanted to see if there are any common problems that are easily overlooked, pretty much anything I should watch out for when looking at them.

My plans with the car aren't really crazy just r154 swap and forced induction. One thing that I would like to be sure of is to not spend money twice on mods. I don't know how much the sc3's have in common with the n/a supras, and would like to know if anyone has a list or at least the major things I could use.

Exhuast...probably the first thing I'll do, just because, lol. Are the dimensions/mounting brackets the same for the n/a supras and sc3's, and if so, where should I look to find something decent, (single side exit). I'd probably just end up getting a custom exhuast made somewhere (I have a few hookups) for cheap, but if there is another option that isn't gonna cost an arm and a leg, I'd be interested.

What else motor wise, if anything, would be worth doing before it gets turbo'd? I know it's best to use the bigger 1.3 mm headgasket to lower compression and what not, but before I go to turbo the 2j, is there anything that is worth the money?

Concerning what size turbo or what kit I should look into... I know a kit would be easier, but piecing together my own would be cheaper, I just don't know what size turbo I should look at for what I want to do. I know what's big/small for a 4g63, but when it comes to a 2j, I'm in a whole new territory. If nothing else, which kits should I look into for a ~450 horsepower setup?

I will most likely will have to settle for an auto since the 5 speeds go for a bit more and are harder to find, along with the w58's not being very strong anyways. I know that a r154 would have to be in the future sometime, but with the automatic trans, would I be able to go with a basic "beginner" turbo setup and not worry about it blowing up? I haven't found too much information on the sc300's automatics, and don't want to worry about making power if I won't be able to use it for long. I'd be happy with 300-350 horse after the turbo, and if the trans wouldn't like it, I wouldn't mind staying n/a and going r154 first until I save up enough money to do both. Along with the transmission, how much will rear end/axles take before blowing up?

Regarding the rear end...do all sc300s come with an open diff? If so, what should I look at to get rid of that, and what could I be looking at price wise?

Last, these cars are pigs, no doubt about it. I've never been inside an sc300 yet, but figured that there has to be quite a bit of areas that can be improved weight wise. I realize that this isn't an all out performance forum, and this won't be a stripped out "drag car" wanna be. I just want it to be able to lose a few so it's not a boat. I've seen a few threads, and most people just resort to c/f body panels, which is a bit out of budget for me to justify the gain. Has anyone else done much like this, and if so, what aproximate weight were you at?

Sorry for the novel and thanks for the help guys.

Edit: One last question... What is the point of a 1jz/2jzgte swap? These motors seem more than capable of good numbers, why not stick with what is already in the car?

Last edited by thefiveoh; 11-20-09 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-20-09, 08:21 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you serious? i aint reading all that lol...no offense in any way.
from the looks of it, you havent read or searching up too much on anything that your planning to do..i suggest you do just that..search and read. get the specs on all the cars that you find suitable and in close relation to your plans. thats all i got for ya..
Old 11-21-09, 05:15 AM
thefiveoh
Driver School Candidate

I have been searching a quite a little bit lol. Found a lot of vague answers scattered all the hell over. Seems to me that this is more of a looks and style forum then anything, which isn't bad, just kind of hard to get information from easily.
Old 11-21-09, 05:25 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.clubna-t.com
www.supraforums.com
Old 11-21-09, 06:41 AM
thefiveoh
Driver School Candidate

I have a similar thread on clubna-t with similar results (not to much help no offense), and when I searched sc300 in supraforums, I saw a bunch of people gettin' ripped and told to go to a lexus forum. I really didn't think that these questions would be insanely hard, I have searched quite a bit and like I said, I've found a few answers, but a lot of them have either contradicted themselves, or are scattered. I've gone through about as many forums as I possibly can, and most of them are either anti-anything that isn't a supra, all about looks, or doesn't have the answers I'm looking for.

Got the weight reduction part out of the way - not really a cost effective way of doing anything that would look decent.

Exhaust I guess I can just get a quick catback made for cheap.

Found the diff answer I was looking for.

Still have a bunch of questions that all I keep hearing is either go to another forum, search, which I have been trying to do, or just no response. Maybe it's just me, and I'm not trying to ***** on a forum I just joined, but I really thought I'd get a little more help...
Old 11-21-09, 06:54 AM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

some are cocky man and i got a v8 or i would answer you bud i know its frustrating when your new and they ask you to search because when you type your question in the search bar it comes up with 100 threads you arent looking for haha. I do know they are heavy and i think the bottom end is different in the gte compared to the ge. The swaps 1j/2jzgte i havent figured out yet either. Good luck!!
Old 11-21-09, 07:24 AM
thefiveoh
Driver School Candidate

I know the bottom end differences, bit higher compression from the pistons, and a diff head, I have been searching, it'd be nice to get specific answers from people who know, thanks though.
Old 11-21-09, 08:47 AM
sc1jz
Driver

na-t kit or peice one together, larger inj like680's or so, front mount, wideband, w58 or r154 can hold 450 im doing it right now i was on stock twins about 5 days ago and was at 383whp went single and im pretty sure im over 400 on a w58