Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help from you 1JZ gurus please...

Old 11-10-09, 10:06 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help from you 1JZ gurus please...

So i'm almost done with the swap and i'm about to start her up. But before I did, I have a couple of things I wasn't too sure about and I was hoping that you guys could steer me in the right direction. BTW, the car is a 95 5 speed utilizing a 94 soarer Auto ECU.

First is this connector by the battery. One connector fit fine, while the other has two extra wires (motor side) vs the 2 wires on the body side. How do I go about this?

This is the connector:

And it has to go here:

Any Ideas?

Second is this vacuum line that comes out right next to the diagnostic port. I'm not sure where it's supposed to run to. Any ideas?

Then there's the alternator. The 4 pin connector from my car connected up fine to the alternator, but I read somewhere that some people cut it and attached it to some other connector so that they were using the body harness vs the engine harness. I didn't really understand that or see where I could swap those wires. I am also using the 1JZ alternator and not the 2J one.

Finally is the starter. Some people had to do a starter bypass. Im not sure if I have to do this or now. I have read about the mod and apparently it works for pre 95 cars, but not for 95+ cars. Since I am 95+ and 5spd, do I need to do anything?

ALL INPUT GREATLY APPRECIATED AS I WILL BE TACKLING THIS ALL TOMORROW AND HOPEFULLY SHE'LL START
Old 11-11-09, 12:56 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is a stock 5-speed w/auto ECU. My suggestion on the starter....run a lead directly to the ignition harness and the black wire which is the starter one. It will serve as a 12v jolt to get it to turn over. Also it is nice to not have to push in the clutch, just be sure that you have it in Neutral
Old 11-11-09, 03:37 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the alternator issue since you have a 95 model with the alternator connector coming out of the body harness near the stock airbox area.

You need to replace the stock body harness alternator connector with the 1JZ alternator connector. The wires aren't the same gauge but it doesn't matter. The wires color however are the same so just match them up..solder and heat shrink the connections.
Old 11-12-09, 01:08 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jefferino
My car is a stock 5-speed w/auto ECU. My suggestion on the starter....run a lead directly to the ignition harness and the black wire which is the starter one. It will serve as a 12v jolt to get it to turn over. Also it is nice to not have to push in the clutch, just be sure that you have it in Neutral
Thanks...I just did this mod...we'll see if it works tommorow.

Originally Posted by RyanV
For the alternator issue since you have a 95 model with the alternator connector coming out of the body harness near the stock airbox area.

You need to replace the stock body harness alternator connector with the 1JZ alternator connector. The wires aren't the same gauge but it doesn't matter. The wires color however are the same so just match them up..solder and heat shrink the connections.
Im still not understanding this. The 1J harness didn't have any connectors for the alternator as far as i remember. Actually, i think it did, but it was cut because i believe it went to the body harness as does mine. The connector I have that is stock plugs right into the 1J alternator. This is the same way it was run on my original motor. Could you please explain why i am supposed to reroute these wires to the 1J harness?

Also guys, i got all of my problems solved except for this. The 1J harness has a 4 pin connector that goes to the fuse box. The colors are one wire is just black, the other is black with a red stripe, and two black with blue striped wires. I have the black and the black with red stripe on my original fuse box, but I dont have anything for the black with blue striped wires..

If you guys could help me with these fer things, that would make it alot easier.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-09, 06:51 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

These are the two wires that im not sure where they go. Its the blue/blk wires. There are 2 of them.

Any ideas?

Old 11-12-09, 06:58 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how about on your regular 2JZ harness do you have the same color?
Let me call this guy tomorrow and i will let you know.

The vaccum line you can just cap it.
Your alternator harness on your car is on the body plug in the engine bay right?
IF so make sure you use that connector the one that came with the engine.
Old 11-15-09, 08:51 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle
\

Im still not understanding this. The 1J harness didn't have any connectors for the alternator as far as i remember. Actually, i think it did, but it was cut because i believe it went to the body harness as does mine. The connector I have that is stock plugs right into the 1J alternator. This is the same way it was run on my original motor. Could you please explain why i am supposed to reroute these wires to the 1J harness?
Do you know what year your 1JZ is from? The 92-94 have the big round plug for the alternator.

If your 1JZ is a 95 then you would plug your stock body harness alternator plug into the 1JZ alternator and you should be good....I think.
Old 11-16-09, 06:34 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes Ryan that's correct