Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

5 spd Swap with an OBDII Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 07:50 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 spd Swap with an OBDII Car

I was just thinking about it and was remembering I'd have to get a 5 spd ECU to do the swap. Thing is, my car is a 97 (OBDII) so I was wondering, am I limited to just OBDII 5 spd ECUs , or am I going to have to re-run an OBDI harness and run an OBDI ecu? Does anyone know a definite answer?

Sorry if there is a thread about this already. I just know there was some "end all" thread of manual swapping questions, but forgot what forum it was on.
Old 11-10-09, 04:01 AM
Wicked SC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CP_Ree
I was just thinking about it and was remembering I'd have to get a 5 spd ECU to do the swap. Thing is, my car is a 97 (OBDII) so I was wondering, am I limited to just OBDII 5 spd ECUs , or am I going to have to re-run an OBDI harness and run an OBDI ecu? Does anyone know a definite answer?

Sorry if there is a thread about this already. I just know there was some "end all" thread of manual swapping questions, but forgot what forum it was on.
Send a PM to Lexforlife, he did the Auto to Manual swap on his 97 and should be able to assist!
Old 11-10-09, 04:36 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

you can use your auto ecu with the 5sp swap although it is better to use the 5sp ecu.. timing maps on the auto are not quite ideal vs the timing map on the 5sp ecu

you cant use it the other way around though....

i have a obdI 5sp ecu if you want can sell to you for a reasonable price seeing i went aem standalone

the obdI 5sp ecu is the best one to use for going na-t
Old 11-10-09, 06:18 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
you can use your auto ecu with the 5sp swap although it is better to use the 5sp ecu.. timing maps on the auto are not quite ideal vs the timing map on the 5sp ecu

you cant use it the other way around though....

i have a obdI 5sp ecu if you want can sell to you for a reasonable price seeing i went aem standalone

the obdI 5sp ecu is the best one to use for going na-t
PM'd you but I'd like to keep the info on the boards for others also. So I'm going to assume that the OBDI and OBDII Ecus aren't different pinouts? The plan is to use an FIC on the ecu, so if anything, if the timing is totally different, I will get a manual ECU. I just don't want to buy it to realize that I'm going to rewire half of the car. It is also a deciding factor if I want to stay with an Auto or to go Manual....