Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TT coil fitment on a na-t (please advise)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 01:41 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts
Default TT coil fitment on a na-t (please advise)

I bought a set of TT coils and a TT igniter for my na-t because I was getting tired of the stock distributor. I have all the wiring figured out and everything, Im running an AEM EMS so no worries about engine management.

My question is that in my reading adventures, I found a couple people who stated several years back that TT coils will not fit under the intake manifold of a stock 2jz-ge. as in the part that wraps over, there is not enough clearance to fit the coils underneath it. Is there any truth to this statement?? can anyone confirm this first hand??

I would just test it myself but its like a 2 hour process to pull the throttle body off and I don't have a garage available to me at the moment. It seems to me like it should only be an issue with maybe 2-3 coils. I honestly didn't think they look tall enough to not fit under there, but I figured I would ask. better safe than sorry.

Pls don't tell me to just try it, its obvious I will get around to doing that.
I am looking for people who know information as to why it is yes or no, and what exactly is the issue. Thanks.

I added some pics to help show what and where im talking about.
Attached Thumbnails TT coil fitment on a na-t (please advise)-mvc-017s.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-09, 01:50 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looking up the same info onthis but it seams your gonna have to dump the intake mani for a side mount intake mani...

http://my.is/forums/f114/installing-...-packs-399787/
Old 10-28-09, 02:14 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a thread on this over on clubna-t, and in the end just like YeA said you have to go with an FFIM.
Old 10-28-09, 02:24 PM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We tried tt coils in a is300 at the shop I work at and 1,2,5,6 would clear but 3 and 4 would hit the throttle body.
Old 10-28-09, 02:59 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DryBlaze
We tried tt coils in a is300 at the shop I work at and 1,2,5,6 would clear but 3 and 4 would hit the throttle body.
darn, sounds like you were in there and trying. did you have the brackets on?

I really don't want to have to go buy IS everything now.. anyone wanna swap?
Old 10-28-09, 03:38 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

OK, I found this on the IS forum. It seems this particular member is very knowledgeable.
can be found here: http://my.is/forums/f114/supra-coils-368366/index5.html post #64

To those who are fitting the TT coils into their IS, you will notice that you have to trim the TT coil pack boots to get them to sit lower. Make sure the spring inside the coil pack is still there (and not missing), and also make sure the boots are properly snugged with no tears, gaps, etc.. the boot has to cover the entire spark plug just like OEM fitment to prevent spark from arcing. Besides that, check for the wiring polarity, and also make sure the coil pack connectors and pigtail are in good condition. The OEM Toyota coil pack connectors are really fragile and like to crack and break apart after several years of use. Do a resistance wire check between your coil pack negative wire by probing the pin at the coil connector and at the ignitor harness connector.

i noticed the spring is way up inside the boot. i dont think a little rubber missing is going to hurt anything if it works... or will it. either way boots are replaceable.
Old 10-28-09, 04:47 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

The guys over on my.is are pretty good on info when it comes to NA-T VVTi been doing alot of reading over there LoL
Old 10-29-09, 11:57 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice.
Old 10-29-09, 12:18 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, everyone using TT coils usually installs an HKS DLI to keep the ignition from breaking up above about 20lbs of boost.

In lieu of TT coils and a CDI, I suggest going to VVt-i coil packs. You can run VVt-i coils with the AEM, they'll fit under the "Y" pipe without modifications, and you'll never need a DLI or CDI. I run 33+lbs of boost on nothing but VVt-i coils, and they worked flawlessly in stock form (including the plug wires). Numbers are in my sig.

-scott
Old 10-29-09, 12:26 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
FWIW, everyone using TT coils usually installs an HKS DLI to keep the ignition from breaking up above about 20lbs of boost.

In lieu of TT coils and a CDI, I suggest going to VVt-i coil packs. You can run VVt-i coils with the AEM, they'll fit under the "Y" pipe without modifications, and you'll never need a DLI or CDI. I run 33+lbs of boost on nothing but VVt-i coils, and they worked flawlessly in stock form (including the plug wires). Numbers are in my sig.

-scott
Got any pics and info on ur set-up ur na-t right ?
Old 10-29-09, 12:47 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Got any pics and info on ur set-up ur na-t right ?
Yep... I run a built GE long block with Wiseco pistons, Eagle rods, HKS 272 cams, DaveH intake, T74GTS, etc.

Here are some pics back in May of '08: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3570999-post18.html

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 10-30-09 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-29-09, 08:29 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

i thought TT coils were an upgrade over vvti coils? it is hard to argue with 32 psi though.
Old 10-30-09, 07:33 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
i thought TT coils were an upgrade over vvti coils? it is hard to argue with 32 psi though.
Hehe... all you have to do is compare them side-by-side. The VVt-i coils are beasts, and they're designed for wasted spark ignition - a perfect combination with the AEM.

-scott
Old 10-30-09, 07:53 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

tight *** set-up Motorhead i didnt know DaveH made intake mani as well i thought he only did the turbo mani def gonna be lookin for some VVti coils
Old 10-30-09, 07:59 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
tight *** set-up Motorhead i didnt know DaveH made intake mani as well i thought he only did the turbo mani def gonna be lookin for some VVti coils
Thanks for the kind words... much appreciated. You might ask DaveH to shorten the plenum width. For some reason, the shock towers are closer on the SC than the Supra, and I can't get the intake off without pulling the motor. That was an unfortunate circumstance I learned after the fact. I also suggest routing the charge pipe through the battery tray. Then, you don't have to bend A/C lines out of the way.

-scott

Quick Reply: TT coil fitment on a na-t (please advise)