Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Few questions for a Newbie (engine swap questions)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 10:06 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions for a Newbie (engine swap questions)

I've just purchased an SC400 with no engine or trans and will be "converting it to an SC300". I want to put a 2jz into it and I guess I'm not too sure of the differences between the ge and gte. From what I've seen the gte is stock TT. I want to do a Single turbo build for some high HP numbers. Also I plan to make it a low 12 second or faster 1/4 mile car. I'm guessing the turbo would be pretty big for this type of setup. I'd really like to be able to drift in the car as well.

I guess I'm asking:
-What exactly is the difference in the GTE and GE?
-Should I just find a GE and turbo it, or is it more beneficial to single turbo a gte?
-Would a large single turbo setup have too much lag to drift with?
-How much am I looking to spend do to this build right?
-Suggestions?
-The term "na-t" means/implies converting a car from N/A to Turbo'd?
-Does the SC3-4 come with an LSD Stock?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 10-27-09, 01:06 PM
bubbalouie
Driver School Candidate

The gte engine has better lubrication through out the motor they both have a strong bottom end but it would a good idea either way to get a multi layer head gasket and stronger head studs. do not get a ge and just trow it together really plan it out and be precise with it make sure you do work on the top end of the engine
Old 10-27-09, 01:47 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bubbalouie
The gte engine has better lubrication through out the motor they both have a strong bottom end but it would a good idea either way to get a multi layer head gasket and stronger head studs. do not get a ge and just trow it together really plan it out and be precise with it make sure you do work on the top end of the engine
I plan to build the top end up. If I did purchases a ge, would I have to rebuild the low end too. would it be pretty good still till I'm pushing 600HP or more?
Old 10-27-09, 01:58 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1.What exactly is the difference in the GTE and GE?

GTE block has oil squirters, which most GTE owners remove anyway after a certain HP point. Intake manifolds are different, and compression..Then a few very minor things.

2.Should I just find a GE and turbo it, or is it more beneficial to single turbo a gte?

It all depends on how deep your pockets are. $2500+ for a GTE swap, plus items needed to go single, or a GE engine for a few hundred bucks plus rebuild and na-t kit.

3.Would a large single turbo setup have too much lag to drift with?

Depends on the turbo and a/r ratings. My turbonetics is a decent size (.68a/r hot) and spools very quickly.

4.How much am I looking to spend do to this build right?

depends on the route you take with the engine and trans. I could easily dump $30k+ into a build if I had that kind of cash laying around

5.Suggestions?

GTE BPU++ with r154 trans, or V160 provided you have the funds for the Getrag.

6.The term "na-t" means/implies converting a car from N/A to Turbo'd?

correct

7.Does the SC3-4 come with an LSD Stock?

Dont think so.

good luck, hope this helps out.
Old 10-27-09, 04:17 PM
MissyLexxx
Lead Lap

^^^ He knows!
Old 10-27-09, 07:22 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

Just a little touch up.

Don't forget about the lower compression on the GTE that allows you to boost higher than a GE. Stock TT can boost about 20+ psi. GTE and GE block is about the same, oil squirter is not needed for higher horse anyway. GTE has better head flow.

If you want LSD, you can use the auto or manual 5 speed from 93-98 supra. 6 speed (v160) will not work properly.

Go with GTE. In the long run, it will benefit you more.
Old 10-27-09, 11:24 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vangb2
Just a little touch up.

Don't forget about the lower compression on the GTE that allows you to boost higher than a GE. Stock TT can boost about 20+ psi. GTE and GE block is about the same, oil squirter is not needed for higher horse anyway. GTE has better head flow.

If you want LSD, you can use the auto or manual 5 speed from 93-98 supra. 6 speed (v160) will not work properly.

Go with GTE. In the long run, it will benefit you more.
yes the GTE does have lower compression, which is an easy fix with the GE using a 1.6mm or 2.0mm or 2.5mm GTE headgasket.

as for the LSD, why wouldnt a V160 work? I'm sure there are a few members here using an LSD with the V160..either way, unless your aiming for high HP/TQ numbers the V160 is going to pretty much overkill. An r154 will suffice for good streetable HP.

bottom line: how much do you want to spend?!
Old 10-28-09, 05:19 AM
vangb2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
yes the GTE does have lower compression, which is an easy fix with the GE using a 1.6mm or 2.0mm or 2.5mm GTE headgasket.

as for the LSD, why wouldnt a V160 work? I'm sure there are a few members here using an LSD with the V160..either way, unless your aiming for high HP/TQ numbers the V160 is going to pretty much overkill. An r154 will suffice for good streetable HP.

bottom line: how much do you want to spend?!
Why spend all that money on a thicker head gasket. Thicker head gasket does not come in a toyota kit. You would have to buy it aftermarket and spend about anoter $200, give or take a little. GTE has a different head, better flow. Besides, if a thicker gasket was used on a GE, it still wouldn't be as reliable as a gte. I would still go GTE.

My mistake on not clearifing differentials. Yes, your right. If he uses a V160, a LSD from the 6spd would be good. If he decided to go with the W58 or the R154, he would need to use the LSD from the 5 spd. That's obviouse. But I believe this guy is on a budget but I probably should not assume because I maybe wrong. A V160 tranny is still about $4,000 in ebay. If you buy a engine and tranny, it would cost about $5,500 in ebay. How do I know, because I was going to buy a V160 until I've seen the price....LOL.
Beside the price of the unit, he needs lots of modifications such and beating the heck out of his tranny tunnel, moding the shaft, fab a shift cover, and a tone of little itty bitty things that it's not coming to mind. Thats about another $2-4k for the minor stuff depending on what he does and if he does everything himself.

Those are just some of the reasonings for me. I understand that everyone has their own preferrence.

Last edited by vangb2; 10-28-09 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-28-09, 05:45 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

dont listen to half these guys. running a GTE headgasket on a Na-T is plenty reliable.
there are tons of people running the same amount of power as a gte on a na-t.
some of the fastest quarter mile times were put down by na-t blocks. as in at least 9's.

why spend all that money on a headgasket you ask? cause ge blocks are dirt cheap, and with spending 200 on a headgasket, you have alot more cash to buy that single turbo kit you want, instead of having to pay for a gte with twins, then paying again to ditch the twins. since you don't have a an n/a 2jz already in your car, it may be easier to go GTE right off the bat. its really your call, both are just as reliable though.
I run 10psi on my na-t on stock compression all day long. these motors are built strong.
Old 10-28-09, 07:07 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
dont listen to half these guys. running a GTE headgasket on a Na-T is plenty reliable.
there are tons of people running the same amount of power as a gte on a na-t.
some of the fastest quarter mile times were put down by na-t blocks. as in at least 9's.

why spend all that money on a headgasket you ask? cause ge blocks are dirt cheap, and with spending 200 on a headgasket, you have alot more cash to buy that single turbo kit you want, instead of having to pay for a gte with twins, then paying again to ditch the twins. since you don't have a an n/a 2jz already in your car, it may be easier to go GTE right off the bat. its really your call, both are just as reliable though.
I run 10psi on my na-t on stock compression all day long. these motors are built strong.

..the exact reason I went na-t, and am getting ready to swap the HG, up the boost, and take it to the next step. A 2JZ is a 2JZ, and if done properly, it wont matter much what the sub code is, weather its a GE or GTE.
Old 10-28-09, 10:49 AM
vangb2
Pole Position

I'm not here to argue. Both are reliable, but one has more potential than the other from stock. In the long run, which will eventually be cheaper? Every statement that each of us has made is base off of preferrences, opions, and experiences. If you like your set up, that's ok with me. The guy asked for some opions and that's what we all are doing. Thanks for understanding.

Let the man decide what he wants to do.
Old 10-28-09, 11:35 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the information. I enjoyed listening to everyone's different opinions. I do not know what route I will go with. My choice will probably be made by what I can find for a good price. One thing is, I don't like the design of the intake manifold that goes directly over the top of the engine. Do you know what I mean?
Old 10-28-09, 05:07 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shadowen
Thanks for all the information. I enjoyed listening to everyone's different opinions. I do not know what route I will go with. My choice will probably be made by what I can find for a good price. One thing is, I don't like the design of the intake manifold that goes directly over the top of the engine. Do you know what I mean?
The GE has the intake throttle over the engine vs. the GTE that has the intake throttle directly facing the front of car. Swapping the GTE intake to a GE can be done but why waste money on that unless if you are getting it for free.

How much do you have now? and how much will you have later?
Old 10-29-09, 09:13 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vangb2
The GE has the intake throttle over the engine vs. the GTE that has the intake throttle directly facing the front of car. Swapping the GTE intake to a GE can be done but why waste money on that unless if you are getting it for free.

How much do you have now? and how much will you have later?
Not sure how much I've got to dedicate to the car right now. I know It will probably sit in my garage as I do little things on it in my free time. I probably wont start any major modifications until next summer. I bought a shell more or less. It has no engine or trans. Since I've got another car to drive, I'm in no hurry to get this on the street. I'll take the time it takes to do this project right.

Last edited by Shadowen; 10-29-09 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling fail
Old 10-29-09, 09:53 AM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to go GE, PM me. I have a 1992 SC300 GE with 172,000 miles on it just sitting on a palette. Was never modified or turbo'd and original engine running great when I took it out for a GTE. Single owner car. Yes, I've had it for 17 years. Cheap.

Quick Reply: Few questions for a Newbie (engine swap questions)