Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A few problems/diagnosing help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-09, 10:21 PM
brinr24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A few problems/diagnosing help

Hey, first time poster, site seems like a great resource.

So I bought this Soarer just recently, was a pretty good price, and it seems like a great base to start with. Now I new that I had to spend some money on it to bring it back up to spec, but before I find a workshop to take it to this week I was thinking that I would get some peoples opinions on what might be going wrong.

Firstly it’s the UZZ31 Model, 4.0, Jap import so not too sure how much if at all it differs from the US versions, its also been in storage for the last few months, hasn’t been started till a few days before I picked it up I think.

So driving on the way home (4 hours from where I bought it), I made a little list of what’s going on

Firstly I had this flash up, on and off, Catalytic Converter Warning

Handbrake light never seems to go off.

On slow acceleration the car shudders, when on cruise its fine, and when pushed its fine also. This is the big one, really does shake the whole car, not a fun experience.

I’ve been researching about the shudder, and it seems that there could be any number of problems that might cause this, engine/trans mounts, fouled plugs/leads, water where it shouldn’t be, etc etc etc. One that I found interesting is that it may be the cat as if it’s blocked, it may be causing the power loss and stutter. Let’s hope it is.

Anyone have any ideas on the problems that I’m experiencing, like I said it’ll be going to the mechanic soon just want an idea on what I should be expecting.

Thanks Dan.