Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Newly purchased SC400

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 03:34 PM
93SC400Blk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly purchased SC400

I just picked up a 1 owner SC400 black w/ tan leather auto trans with pwr mode with 109,000 miles on it. I will get pictures up shortly. The car is in great shape and has some decent power. The only thing it really needs right now is a good cleaning of the engine as the previous owner did not keep the engine clean so it has alot of built up dirt and grease on it. Any suggestions or links to safe engine cleaning methods. I would take it to the local detail shop but I dont trust they wont mess something up while doing so, so I would rather do it myself.

My main goals with this car are I definitely want to go supercharger. First mod I will get will be an exhaust system. Anyone make a supercharger kit for the SC400 yet? If so who and do they have a website? I prefer the roots style blower. I have seen a SC400 that had a M90 supercharger setup. I would prefer this as I have access to several used M90 superchargers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also any recommendations on exhaust would help too. I like the ones that give it a deep rumble and would prefer something that isnt ricey as I want to keep the car classy and well setup.

-Matt
Old 10-19-09, 11:40 AM
93SC400Blk
Driver School Candidate

So far I have seen 2 other members here on the board that have supercharged sc400's. I just need links or e-mails to the places that make the kits or all the parts to install a supercharger minus the supercharger itself. I would prefer to use either the M90 or M112 roots style superchargers. I am not new to modding so I know what supporting mods I will need. I am just new to Lexus/Toyota. I had 2 highly modified Subaru's. I had a 300whp WRX and a 500whp Legacy GT. I dropped $15,000 into the Legacy GT so I have had my taste of cars that are money pits. That is why I want the simple setup of a supercharger in which I can run on a stock motor with minimal mods.

I also need help on the exhaust. Like best sounding for what I am looking for and a good place to purchase that has good reasonable pricing. Any ideas or links would be greatly appreciated. Help me out guys!!!

-Matt
Old 10-19-09, 08:38 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Eaton is a pretty popular blower for sc400, which you can get for pretty cheap on Ebay. But you'll have to gather plenty more parts for the entire kit. I just got a sc400 vvti 98 just a few months ago and thought about running a charger as well. However, people are saying the vvt-i's have weaker rods and can break easily under turbo. Is it true for a supercharger too?
Old 10-20-09, 05:33 AM
93SC400Blk
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I dont have a problem finding the superchargers I can get them local. I need the manifold, pulleys, brackets, ect. to put a complete kit together. I havent been able to find anyone who sells or makes those yet. I know they are out there I just havent found them or the people who know how or where to get them. I have been in contact with scottURnot about hooking me up with the right people.

I would say the supercharger such as a M90 would be fine for your car with the stock motor. But you put your engine at risk any time you add forced induction of any kind. But ideally with low boost and the proper supporting mods you should be fine.
Old 10-20-09, 11:05 AM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 93SC400Blk
I would say the supercharger such as a M90 would be fine for your car with the stock motor. But you put your engine at risk any time you add forced induction of any kind. But ideally with low boost and the proper supporting mods you should be fine.
Yep! Anytime you use force induction you will be taking a risk, especially turbo. Supercharger is better as long as you don't go too crazy like most turbo guys do. Supercharger is better on your 1uz non-vvt-i because it has stronger rods. For my vvti 1uz, I think I'm gonna pass and just spray with a 75 wet shot.
Old 10-20-09, 12:25 PM
Wicked SC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM Scotturnot, not sure if my spelling is correct but he has a couple threads on boosting the 400's..
Old 10-20-09, 01:30 PM
GRN MNSTR
Pole Position

Welcome aboard...why'd you get the 400 over the 300? I'm always curious as to why?
Old 10-20-09, 01:37 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Welcome to the Lexus family, when it comes to a supercharged 400, I can only think of one person; ScottURNot. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...cotturnot.html

He can probably provide you with much more information + he has a couple of threads with pics.

I'm also with GRN MNSTER in why you choose the 400 over the 300? I'm planning to go boost and all so the seems reasonable for me but I'm curious why you went the 400.

Good luck and can't wait till you get started.
Old 10-20-09, 02:12 PM
93SC400Blk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. As I said above I am in contact with ScottURNot now and he is working on getting me hooked up. I just know there are or were a few other members who are or were running a supercharger setup like I want or one using a twin screw which would be fine with me. I saw some for sale threads for a couple kits but they were already sold long ago. Hopefully Scott can come through and I still hope to hear from others who have ran this setup before.

I chose the 400 because it was the first one I could get my hands on locally from a used car lot that we do work for. I own an automotive repair shop fyi. Plus I did some research on it before buying it and it got great reviews and it drove and handled amazingly. I have always had my eye on either the sc300 or sc400 for quite some time but I never found such a great oportunity to purchase one. I was also looking for a V8 sports coupe and I got an insane deal on it and its in almost perfect condition inside and out. The car was actually bought here locally in Jacskonville so I know where it came from and where it has been. And it is perfect if I ever decide to go with a Supra motor such as the 2JZ-GTE.

Last edited by 93SC400Blk; 10-20-09 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 02:19 PM
93SC400Blk
Driver School Candidate

Oh and if there are no "kits" for supercharger I will definitely post up a list of parts, where to get them, and how much they are. That way other's who want to go this route will know where to look and how much the need to save up to buy. And if the parts I get are no longer made then I will see what I can do about getting more made locally and I will sell the parts myself to those who are interested. And I will definitely post up an install threads and will post up videos.

Any suggestions on the exhaust system?? I know there are plenty of guys out there running aftermarket exhaust systems. Hit me up guys and let me know please!!
Old 10-21-09, 09:47 AM
GRN MNSTR
Pole Position

The exhaust part is going to be all personal preferrence.

I have a single exit 3" resonator back with HKS hiper muffler. I love it personally...but to each their own...check out the exhaust thread for some ideas, pics, and videos
Old 10-21-09, 12:02 PM
93SC400Blk
Driver School Candidate

Alright well the wife found me a Supercharger through he brother-in-law who works for the local GM dealer. $250 minus the $160 he owes me from some tires I put on his T/A. So I got the charger for a steal of a deal. It is off a pontiac of some kind not sure on that yet. Ill know more later and I will snap some pics when I get it in my hands this week. So I have the main piece of the puzzle, now I just need the manifold, pulleys, belt, ect...
Old 10-22-09, 06:31 AM
93SC400Blk
Driver School Candidate

Well scratch that deal. He wanted $410 for it minus the $160 so it was going to cost me the $410 basically which is a rip off for a used supercharger and it was off a Buick Ultra which isnt the type I will need anyways. I will be checking Ebay and the local scrap yards for the one I need. Gotta love it when you help someone out and when they have a chance to make it up to you they try and **** you. I have come to hate my wife's entire side of the family. They are all a bunch of morons and she will agree with me on this.

I found one for $150 shipped off a GTP so that is the one I am going to get it.