Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Heater problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 07:01 AM
sharp01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater problem

This is basically a test thread to see if I get posted. I have tried twice with pictures to show viewers where the problem is located. Each time I tried to post, my thread has been sent to a mysterious place awaiting approval from a moderator. I can understand this due to me trying to post pictures, but I really would like to get my thread posted to get viewers advice.

The vehicle: 99 SC300 with 114K miles

The issue:

My heater is blowing and my A/C works. The heater will not get hot or even warm. Other threads helped me locate where the problem is located, I just don't know the terminology to explain without pics.

Basically, there is a device located in the engine compartment next to the firewall on the passenger side. There is a coolant hose going into the device and one going out. There is a "bowl" on the device with a metal rod on the back side attached to a swing arm. When I push this metal rod into the bowl, the heater heats up. When I let go of the rod, it goes back out and the air becomes average temp. The Temp **** on the control panel is set to hot while I am doing this.

I assume that when I turn the temp **** to HOT, this swing arm is supposed to move the metal rod into the bowl to increase the heat. This obviously is not happening.

Any thoughts? I will post pics when and if I am allowed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-09, 07:02 AM
sharp01
Driver School Candidate

Old 10-11-09, 07:04 AM
sharp01
Driver School Candidate

Here is a close up pic of what I am talking about-circled in red:

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/t...99-99/pic3.jpg
Old 10-11-09, 07:07 AM
sharp01
Driver School Candidate

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/t...99-99/pic2.jpg

Here is the top pic. The bottom circle shows a location that looks like a hose should be attached. Is there supposed to be a hose attached?

The top circle show a location that has a click noise when the temp **** is moved to max A/C.
Old 10-11-09, 09:10 AM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is the heater control valve...keeps hot coolant from circulating through the heater core until you want it to do so. My car's at the shop or I'd look o see what missing from yours, or if yours appears to be broken....maybe one of these other guys can help you out.
Old 10-12-09, 07:59 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Make your heater work

Move the vacuum line from the engine directly to the actuator, bypassing the VSV. This will allow hot water to flow to the heater box. The a/c will still work, but air circulating will be slightly warmed. Many of us have done this and its beats h*** out of a new Vacuum Switching Valve. I bought a used one off ebay, but I'm satisfied and haven't installed it. In the spring, when it warms up, move the hose back to its original position.
Attached Thumbnails Heater problem-img_1937-1-.jpg  
Old 10-13-09, 07:38 AM
sharp01
Driver School Candidate

okbobbo: That is a great idea. I will definately try that. Is the vacuum line from the engine easy to find? Can you give me a general area to look? I am more familiar with motorcycles. I appreciate the response!
Old 10-13-09, 08:07 AM
ERXRX7
Rookie

simply hook up a vaccum hose to the diaphram, it will remain open at all times. in the summer unhook it to allow maximum A/C
Old 10-13-09, 04:07 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Look at the photo

Sharp 01

In the photo an arrow points out the vacuum line going to the VSV. Disconnect the short line from the VSV to the actuator and leave it attached to the VSV. Remove the vacuum line going to the VSV and put in on the actuator. Stay toasty! In the spring return the hoses to their original places.
Old 10-13-09, 04:17 PM
sharp01
Driver School Candidate

Maybe that is my overall problem. In the picture below, I do not have any line attached to the VSV where the bottom hose is located in your picture. Where does that hose come from that you have attached to the lower portion of the VSV?

Old 10-14-09, 09:41 AM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Missing vacuum line

You have definitely id'd a problem. When it stops raining (thank God for the rain), I'll look and try to take a photo for you.
Old 10-14-09, 12:37 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Here's a shot of the rear of the intake manifold. The vacuum line (red line) goes from the valve/actuator to the bottom of two fittings at the rear of the manifold (red box). Its hard to see in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails Heater problem-vacuum-line.jpg  
Old 10-14-09, 06:18 PM
sharp01
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! I believe I can find it now. I am hoping to find an obvious place on the manifold where a vacuum hose is supposed to be attached. I will post if I can get it figured out.
Old 10-15-09, 11:40 PM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

i did that trick today because my unit failed sometime this week, works great