Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

'94 SC400 Hydro Pump Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 10:36 AM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '94 SC400 Hydro Pump Leak

Hey guys, I have a '94 SC400 and I have a small leak behind the pulley of the hydro pump used for the cooling fan. I don't want to convert to electric, as the stock cooling fan has always worked great (and still does). The shop manual shows an oil seal behind the pulley and I'm sure that's what I need to change. The manual shows step by step instructions and shows it as a non-reusable item (makes sense). But my Lexus parts catalog does not show that part and the guy at the Lexus parts department says it must come with the pulley. I can't believe that, as the seal is pressed into the housing behind the pulley. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm sure I could fix it if I could find the part ...

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-11-09, 08:48 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by SLEXC400
Hey guys, I have a '94 SC400 and I have a small leak behind the pulley of the hydro pump used for the cooling fan. I don't want to convert to electric, as the stock cooling fan has always worked great (and still does). The shop manual shows an oil seal behind the pulley and I'm sure that's what I need to change. The manual shows step by step instructions and shows it as a non-reusable item (makes sense). But my Lexus parts catalog does not show that part and the guy at the Lexus parts department says it must come with the pulley. I can't believe that, as the seal is pressed into the housing behind the pulley. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm sure I could fix it if I could find the part ...

Thanks in advance!
Man! Am I the only one that's ever tried replacing the oil seal in the hydro pump? I'm adding a pic here so you know what I'm talking about. I can find the O-rings but not the oil seal (circled in pic). Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks ...
Attached Thumbnails '94 SC400 Hydro Pump Leak-hydro-pump.jpg  
Old 05-29-11, 02:30 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

I figured I'd ask again to see if anyone has ever changed the seal in the hydropump, as mine is still leaking and has been getting worse over the past couple of years. Or --- does anyone know where I can find a pump? The hydro cooling fan has always worked perfectly and is very quiet, so I really don't want to do an electric fan conversion ...
Old 05-29-11, 05:35 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured I'd ask again to see if anyone has ever changed the seal in the hydropump, as mine is still leaking and has been getting worse over the past couple of years. Or --- does anyone know where I can find a pump? The hydro cooling fan has always worked perfectly and is very quiet, so I really don't want to do an electric fan conversion ...
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Pr...igPicture=True

It does look conspicuously absent in this pic ^^

Last edited by good2go; 05-29-11 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-29-11, 08:28 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by good2go
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Pr...igPicture=True

It does look conspicuously absent in this pic ^^

Thanks for the quick reply good2go! I wouldn't mind ordering the cover sub-assembly, but I'm not sure if the o-ring is part of that assembly. Like you said --- it is conspicuously absent in the pic --- which is what I found out before. Seems like it should be included, but then why is it shown separately in my pic? Hard tellin' not knowin'!!!
Old 05-30-11, 12:25 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the quick reply good2go! I wouldn't mind ordering the cover sub-assembly, but I'm not sure if the o-ring is part of that assembly. Like you said --- it is conspicuously absent in the pic --- which is what I found out before. Seems like it should be included, but then why is it shown separately in my pic? Hard tellin' not knowin'!!!
Yeah, I just plugged the part number for that cover sub assy (16932‑50061) into Pembroke Pines site and it listed at $99.66. That's too much on a guess. Maybe you could call a dealership, find out who has one (most likely a search), and then call them and have someone lay their eyes upon it before you decide. Then just go with whoever is cheapest once you know for sure.
Old 05-30-11, 03:03 AM
1UZAristo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably best to find a used unit at a wrecker, and get your original rebuilt, then put it back in the car.

These are quite easily over looked, running old fluid. I've seen quite a few leaking these days.
Old 05-29-16, 09:46 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

I know this is a really old thread, but I'm hoping that someone may have figured out where to get the shaft seal in the hydro pump that I first posed a question on nearly 7 years ago. I'm wondering if this is the same shaft seal that is used in the power steering pump, as my shop manual says to use the same tool for the removal of the seal and a 22 mm socket to seat the seal for both pumps. Of course, who knows if the thickness and shaft diameter would be the same. It might be worth a shot for less than 30 bucks though (and that kit is available). I don't drive the car much these days, but it is still leaking and I would love to get the thing fixed! Has anyone had any experience with this? I really don't want to replace the fan with an electric one, as the hydraulic fan has always performed flawlessly ...
Old 07-28-16, 09:21 PM
Kraft
Driver School Candidate

I think mine is leaking too, I am on the hunt for a solution as I am in the middle of a timing belt job. I will keep you posted if I find anything.
Old 07-28-16, 09:45 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kraft
I think mine is leaking too, I am on the hunt for a solution as I am in the middle of a timing belt job. I will keep you posted if I find anything.
Thanks Kraft. I appreciate it ...
Old 07-29-16, 07:43 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Thanks Kraft. I appreciate it ...
Take the pulley off and see if you can get the number off the seal. May be able to cross reference it aftermarket
Old 08-04-16, 08:02 PM
Kraft
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pogoism9
Take the pulley off and see if you can get the number off the seal. May be able to cross reference it aftermarket
Fantastic idea! Let it be noted that the nut is left hand thread!!! So the seal number I came up with is a BD4593E with NOK on the far side of the seal. The shaft seems to have play which maybe helping the leak. A quick search yielded me nothing for a replacement part. The other option is try and measure it but it would be best to pull the seal to do that from the looks of it.
Old 08-05-16, 12:47 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kraft
Fantastic idea! Let it be noted that the nut is left hand thread!!! So the seal number I came up with is a BD4593E with NOK on the far side of the seal. The shaft seems to have play which maybe helping the leak. A quick search yielded me nothing for a replacement part. The other option is try and measure it but it would be best to pull the seal to do that from the looks of it.
Thanks guys. I tried to get the pulley off a little while ago and it wouldn't budge. I tried a couple of different pullers. Will try again this weekend. Sure would be nice to get this years-old problem fixed!!!
Old 08-05-16, 06:45 PM
Kraft
Driver School Candidate

I called a bearings house today and had no luck with getting an interchange on the seal number. Sounds like that seal will have to come out to maybe find something compatible.
Old 08-09-16, 03:21 PM
zeus87gn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same problem with the hyd pump leaking
I would love to fix it if it can be
I'm going to start looking into what can be done, if anything
The dealer here wants $1700 for a replacement

Quick Reply: '94 SC400 Hydro Pump Leak