Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-max over toyomoto

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-02, 10:04 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-max over toyomoto

I've decided to go with the f-max kit. It looks complete on the website and I can get it for 3750$, a little more for MSD with boost control and gakset. Will be running boost by the end of August at the latest.
Old 04-24-02, 10:24 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, $3750 does that include installation or is that just for the parts? How much hp does it bring? You'll definately want to get the "MSD with boost control and gakset" which will cost a little more.
Old 04-24-02, 11:05 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

That was quoted to me from a shop out of Cleveland OH. Ryan at F-max referred me there when I called. The price is for the parts - listed on the website - with a choice on either the gasket or the msd - I want both. I have the AFC already and they do recommend this also - not sure about a vpc though I have heard those are also recommended. I will be having a shop in Lexington KY install it, unless I decide that I can find a better deal elsewhere - but they gurantee their work and if I get more items like an exhaust and springs, I can have them do that at the same time and finance the deal. For strictly turbo install, I would estimate 40 hours at 60$ an hour. About 2400$ is the most I would pay to have this done. That should cover any MAJOR problems - I would even expect it to be a little cheaper. They like it when you buy more stuff - so they cut the installation rate. I'll post more info as I get it.
Old 04-24-02, 11:59 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

awj, what's the contact info for the place that sells the FMAX for $3750? Is that with the head gasket and without the BTM? I have a guy here that wants me to do a turbo install on his SC3, and the FMAX is right in his ballpark.
- Jon
Old 04-24-02, 02:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awj, i'm interested in the contact information too

do you know if they will sell the kit sans some other parts?

i don't want the turbo, the fmic, the piping, the BOV, or the additional injectors and controller; but i want everything else

and no if anyone asks; you didnot read this

Last edited by Bean; 04-24-02 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-24-02, 05:56 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Bean, Lex, Jac:

I read my notes wrong, 4750$.

My bad, I'm still gonna get it though. That contact number is 1-614-921-3278. Jason at Schneider Motorsports in Cleveland OH. Maybe if enough people inquire from clublexus, we can arrange a group buy or something. I'll ask.

Everything is on the site F-max.com - sc300 - I think you can order what you want, have to call to be sure. MSD or Gasket is the choice - or get both for a little more.

Last edited by awj; 04-24-02 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-24-02, 06:13 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

If you're going with the lower compression, I'd up the turbo a bit.
A T04e isn't going to cut it at 8.5:1. It will be a turd. If you want quick street response, don't lower the compression.

An upgraded turbo costs F-MAX a negligible amount of money, I'd try to get them to uprade it for a hundred bucks or so. I'd personally go with at least a T70 (or around that size) knowing what I know now, but would suggest at a minimum a T60-1 with the P trim and a pretty large A/R (I'd go bigger than .58). These things are like breast implants, once you get used to them, you think you could always go a little bigger. If you're staying at stock compression, a smaller turbo is ok, because it has to provide less boost to make the same amount of power.

Peak efficiency range on T04e 10-17psi at 36 ppm airflow.
Peak efficiency range on T60-1 12-20psi at 44ppm airflow.
Peak efficiency range on T70 20+psi at 68ppm airflow.

Also, If you're gonna pull the head and lower the compression, it only makes sense to upgrade the stock injectors instead of the one or two auxiliaries. The cost of the Air/Fuel ratio controller to run bigger injectors would offset the price of the aux injection controller needed for the two extra injectors that the kit would come with. You could be the first to run the new AEM plug-n-play ECU, that would save the VPC, AFR, AFC, whatever. It can also control boost for you.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-02, 04:24 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Thanks for the info. That is handy. So I could go with the T04-e and hold off on the head gasket - run 12-17 pounds on boost on stock compression w/ the two aux injectors. Get the MSD, and upgrade later when I'm used to the small turbo. I already have the Apexi AFC. If the AEM ecu is decent in price I could sell it off and go from there. Then get a bigger turbo, gasket, injectors and go with a AFR (if I don't get the AEM).

Hmmm, options.
Old 04-25-02, 06:13 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Even if you're at stock compression, I'd skip the T04e... Its just too small.

The 60-1 makes usable boost at 1800-2200rpm... Full boost by 2800-3000rpm.
Old 04-25-02, 07:45 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott are you readin my mind of something?

You have PM
Old 04-25-02, 08:48 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

T-60 it is. But does the introduction of boost pressure induce oil burning and blow by?
Old 04-25-02, 09:37 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

awj, if ya wanna save a couple bucks, Intense Motorsports has the FMAX kit for $4595. With the FMAX kit, a T70, BTM, AFC, injectors, and the 8.5:1 head gasket, with the FMIC, you'll be making gobs of hp. The only question is whether an AFC can handle a large enough injector, i've only seen them work with 440's, so i'm totally unsure, but like Scott said, at the very worst, you could take the plunge and go with the AEM, PF told me the base maps have now been released.
Old 04-25-02, 09:45 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Also, awj, if ya wanna take the drive from KY to NY, PF has a great deal on their Stage 1 package, tubular stainless steel equal-length header with Indy-style merge collector, T60-1, Turbonetics Racegate, choice of BOV, Spearco sidemount IC with alum end tanks, Aeromotive FPR, and 3" catless dp, for $6500 installed. This is probably the route i'll take when I manage to pick up another SC, plus it's based on a manifold with practically unlimited capabilities. Scott, how's the project goin'? What's the story with the head?
- Jon
Attached Thumbnails F-max over toyomoto-osofast240-perf-factory-turbo-kit-turbonetics-turbo-and-wastegate.jpg  
Old 04-25-02, 10:21 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

All I can say is have good fire suppression equipment ready. Of the 4 f-max kits I've heard of, 3 caught on fire.

SR
Old 04-25-02, 02:51 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

It may be me, but I've heard of people hearing of people seeing bad things from F-MAX.

Has anyone actually seen a bucha F-MAX units go Kabbooom and catch fire ? I mean, AWJ, if your shop is gonna insure the thing for a year, and if you can get F-MAX to back their product up, geeze what concerns should you have? What about the guy who got his F-MAX unit jet coated? He's been running around with it fine, no problems.

Ok, so toyomoto will support their products better. Their products also are a whole lot more expensive! Lance, from what everyone says is a great guy and stands by his "higher than OEM Toyota quality products" There's not a doubt in my mind that Toyomoto is the best. But what's up with all these F-MAX rumors?

But I'm just kinda tired of hearing people who heard of people who saw the F-MAX unit cause a supra catch on fire at a meet.

Can someone get primary source here? Does someone have a Vid? It seems to me like F-MAX has gotten a really bad rap.

John

Quick Reply: F-max over toyomoto