Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

95' SC300: What is the best route to turbo my car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 09:07 PM
zrs6v4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95' SC300: What is the best route to turbo my car?

I have a daily driver Integra and a 95 SC300. The SC gets horrible gas mileage so I thought Id set it aside for the project. I know there are a few options for going turbo such as NA-T, GTE, or 1jz swap. Anyway I was hoping to keep this together as some sort of a budget build so what would be the best route to go for my car to be turbo. By the way I have had turbo cars before and I understand all the ends and outs such as fuel management, injectors, pump, and so forth.

thanks
Old 09-29-09, 09:58 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you take your time and shop wisely, you can find good deals on things and in the end have a fairly high quality build.

I went na-t for just a tad over $1600 and that included 440c injectors, SAFC-2, Walbro pump(new), Turbonetics 60-1 turbo(new), and all the nuts and bolts, gaskets and gauges..including an AEM UEGO(again new).

but thats just my opinion..and I'm sure someone will say the best route will be a GTE swap either 1j or 2j..others like myself will say na-t...everyone is going to have an opinion..I say shop around and see what deals you can find.
Old 09-29-09, 10:07 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would ask what it is you're expecting out of the car and how much you're willing to sacrifice for it cash wise.

If I was in your spot, and had enough cash, I would go for the GTE swap and do preventative maintenance. You know, the norm crap that goes out.

Fun, and especially reliable. And if you ever want more power you're ready!
Old 09-29-09, 10:49 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

NA-T. Hands down, money to power ratio, you cannot beat it. People will argue this and that, but when it comes right down to it, a properly put together NA-T is downright ridiculous for what it is. I'm talking even with the dizzy, not converting to COP or anything. The best mods you can do are H/G, FFIM and FMIC, stand alone, Ignition upgrade, and fuel. Get yourself something to hold the power and boost away.
Old 09-30-09, 01:09 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

go na-t, im still gathering parts for my 1jz swap and its taxing my pockets.... do u have a 5speed or a auto
Old 09-30-09, 04:17 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

na-t here , well into the 500's been boosting 22+psi on pump for well over a year now

gte great option if your pockets are deep and you are patient

na-t with aem is lethal , ffim you can always do do the road, cop also down the road
Old 09-30-09, 04:29 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I would say NA-T, I went from NA to 1jz to 2jzgte and if I had to do it all over again I would have built a stout NA-T setup and be at the same power levels for less money but you live you learn.
Old 09-30-09, 08:15 AM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bit off topic, but can folks go NA-T if they have a VVTI?
Old 09-30-09, 08:15 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

na-t as i'm biased.
Old 09-30-09, 08:43 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by howat
A bit off topic, but can folks go NA-T if they have a VVTI?

Look at the GS300's (2nd gen) and IS300's
Old 09-30-09, 09:16 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
I would say NA-T, I went from NA to 1jz to 2jzgte and if I had to do it all over again I would have built a stout NA-T setup and be at the same power levels for less money but you live you learn.
+1 same here
Old 09-30-09, 10:09 AM
BattleVer
Pole Position

I went 2jzgte cause I like the valve covers.
Old 09-30-09, 11:37 AM
zrs6v4
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeisLegend
I would ask what it is you're expecting out of the car and how much you're willing to sacrifice for it cash wise.

If I was in your spot, and had enough cash, I would go for the GTE swap and do preventative maintenance. You know, the norm crap that goes out.

Fun, and especially reliable. And if you ever want more power you're ready!

Id love to get at least 325hp to the wheels and of course the more power the better. I do have a great local shop who can make custom stainless and aluminum piping along with turbo manifolds.

as far as the swap I was going to go that route because it is only $2k for the swap, but the problem is that the wiring is a bear and the JDM turbos and cams are weak compared to usdm. It was going to run me a lot for what it is so Im really not sure. I think I agree with NA-T because Ill already be singled and capable of good power. Although the GTE motor is pretty awesome.

As for cash I really dont want to spend $10k but maybe $5 at the most but of course the least is better. I have a nice shop and between my friends and I (minus fabrication and tuning) we can do most of the work.
Old 09-30-09, 11:40 AM
zrs6v4
Rookie

Thanks for all other replies
Old 09-30-09, 12:46 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zrs6v4
Id love to get at least 325hp to the wheels and of course the more power the better. I do have a great local shop who can make custom stainless and aluminum piping along with turbo manifolds.

as far as the swap I was going to go that route because it is only $2k for the swap, but the problem is that the wiring is a bear and the JDM turbos and cams are weak compared to usdm. It was going to run me a lot for what it is so Im really not sure. I think I agree with NA-T because Ill already be singled and capable of good power. Although the GTE motor is pretty awesome.

As for cash I really dont want to spend $10k but maybe $5 at the most but of course the least is better. I have a nice shop and between my friends and I (minus fabrication and tuning) we can do most of the work.
With 5k budget you can build your up your engine and have enough fro NA-t setup. Assuming you and your buddies do the labor.
Rods,pistons = from 800.00-1500.00
Gaskets and so on = depends how big I would say max of 400.00
That would leave you in a good spot for boost. Then you will still have the 3k+ for boost and boost accessories.
Playing it right and smart buying you can/will have more power and most likely stronger built then any stock GTE.

Quick Reply: 95' SC300: What is the best route to turbo my car?