Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any benefit with Magnaflow's x pipe vs the Summit store brand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 06:31 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any benefit with Magnaflow's x pipe vs the Summit store brand?

I'm having a local guy build me a 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust out of pipes and pre-bent pieces to pretty much emulate Redphoenix's exhaust. He uses a Magnaflow x pipe that has straight pipe entries and looks like it'd be easier to build with. The guy I'm going to use is just going to use the Summit piece which doesn't have straight entries, but their kit does come with pipes bent to the angle of the x pipe's entry/exit. I don't know much about exhausts or running the pipe under the car but it has an angled entry and don't know if that'll create uneccesary bends or angles in the exhaust vs the Magnaflow which is just straight in. Red's exhaust looks pretty simple and I'm sure the straight entry/exit of the x pipe has something to do with it.

I'll include pics of the exhaust and the pieces I have to choose from. Hope Red doesn't mind me posting the exhaust pic:

Let me know what you guys with experience in this think about the Summit kit vs Magnaflow's. I know a lot of it is name, but don't know if the Magnaflow actually helps with an extra pony or two for the extra money.
Old 09-28-09, 07:06 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you are going to run out of room if you need to angle it again off the X-pipe... there isnt much room. All an x pipe does it connect the 2 banks... hell you could cheaply do an H pipe instead of an X pipe... maybe not as "flow-ey" but it will work...
Old 09-28-09, 07:15 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

h-pipe has a deeper growl, x-pipe has a more higher pitch type sound.
h-pipe for more low end power/tq and x-pipe for high end power/tq
Old 09-28-09, 08:57 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm that looks my photo damn looks like it is being put to use lol.
Old 09-29-09, 04:22 PM
Lexscme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
^^good tip i may have to remember that when i do my exhaust.
Old 09-29-09, 05:14 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
How about getting the benefit of both? http://planetsoarer.com/pdf/xfactorcolour.pdf

I had this made when I had my exhaust done. On stock mufflers most said it sounded like a "v8 350z on steroids". The performance gain was very noticeable throughout the entire rpm range.

I highly recommend looking into this.
Old 09-30-09, 12:07 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

very good info sc-driver.
Old 10-10-09, 02:24 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sc-driver
How about getting the benefit of both? http://planetsoarer.com/pdf/xfactorcolour.pdf

I had this made when I had my exhaust done. On stock mufflers most said it sounded like a "v8 350z on steroids". The performance gain was very noticeable throughout the entire rpm range.

I ran into this a few years ago and planned on giving it a try whenever i decided to do exhaust. Have never got around to it as my exhaust is still in great shape. However from an engineering point of view it looks like a solid design. Nice to see someone with an SC has tried it out, im very interested now. Do you happen to have pics of your setup?
Maybe I will have to pick up some pieces of pipe and weld something together. I wish I knew what size pipes and procedure your exhaust guy used to make your setup.
Old 11-03-09, 04:04 PM
VIPFAMILY
Rookie

Originally Posted by sc-driver

Ok may be a dumb question I read the whole article but I am confused on one thing.

So the pics show they used a 5" pipe bent it to fit 2.5" pipes but do the 2.5" pipes continue through the "x factor" or is it a big chamber thats hollow?
Old 11-04-09, 10:15 AM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VIPFAMILY
Ok may be a dumb question I read the whole article but I am confused on one thing.

So the pics show they used a 5" pipe bent it to fit 2.5" pipes but do the 2.5" pipes continue through the "x factor" or is it a big chamber thats hollow?
the 2.5" pipes do not continue, there is space between the 2 sides of exhaust. the idea is simular to a venturi effect, where the gasses passing on one side create a low pressure zone on the other side, that low pressure zone would in theory help "pull" the exhaust gasses out of the combustion chamber, essentially increasing efficiency and increasing power output. This is similar to the idea of an H or X pipe. I think the simple theory and perhaps actual benefit to this type of setup is that exhaust has better flow thru this kind of pipe than X or H, but that's just my assumption, I have done no testing on this myself. It just make sense to me, from an engineer's point of view.