Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-02, 03:11 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Problems

I have a 96 SC400 and am hearing a real slight grinding noise from under the center consol. You can only hear it when it is absolutely quiet in the car. The noise is audable from 35mph+ and you only hear it when you push the gas to the point of just maintaining a constant speed (Like if your going 45mph and let off the gas to decelerate you would hear it, and when you pushed it again to keep going 45mph you will hear it for a split second.) I have already had shops look at it, and we have even done a tranny swap and the noise is still there. I'm also hearing a clicking noise from the Passanger front wheel when I apply the brakes at low speeds. Any Suggestions??? I Need help...

Oh yeah, the car is out of warranty by miles, and the closest Lexus Dealer is 400 miles away.

Last edited by 2Lexus430s; 11-15-02 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-20-02, 02:47 PM
fire
Driver School Candidate

Default SC400 Problems

I've heard of center driveshaft bearings making noise. also driveshaft u joints seizing.
Old 04-20-02, 04:20 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where did you hear that? I've been on this forum 6 months... never ever heard that mentioned.
Old 04-20-02, 04:24 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

About your problem, if it's only between about 35 & 50 under light acceleration, it might be as simple as the torque converter. You may have burnt ATF. I had a vibration that felt like it was a stuck caliper in that speed range... it was burnt ATF.
Old 04-20-02, 11:33 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

I did a tranny swap and changed the converter as well. The noise was reduced but not eliminated.

BTW: The Tranny is brand new and the Converter is as well.
The car is out of warranty too because of me putting over 100,000 miles on it..

Last edited by 2Lexus430s; 04-20-02 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-21-02, 12:33 AM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Another Question, What do you guys think could be causing the clicking noise from the back wheel. Someone thinks it could be a loose break pad shifting. Any Suggestions?
Old 04-21-02, 08:33 AM
SCV8
Instructor

I had that problem with the trans whirring away,the tech at the dealer replaced the tranny mount and it fixed the problem.
I guess the weight of the tranny allows the very soft rubber to settle. With the rubber squished,the metal to metal portion of the mount collides,and the sound is then transmitted through into the floor.
I
Old 04-21-02, 02:48 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

I'll get that checked out.. sounds like you might have hit it.
Old 04-22-02, 03:33 PM
fire
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
where did you hear that? I've been on this forum 6 months... never ever heard that mentioned.
From some friends in Texas...at one of those HUGE dealerships in Houston or Dallas.
Old 04-22-02, 03:42 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

The Tranny shop that did the swap said that my mounts were in really good shape. The 2 noises that I'm hearing are: A slight grinding sound at around 45mph, and a Slight Flapping or Spinning (like a panel is flapping against something) but you only hear it at around 20-30MPH and only while the car is moving, no matter what gear it is in.

Last edited by 2Lexus430s; 04-22-02 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-22-02, 07:53 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by TealLexusSc400
The Tranny shop that did the swap said that my mounts were in really good shape. The 2 noises that I'm hearing are: A slight grinding sound at around 45mph, and a Slight Flapping or Spinning (like a panel is flapping against something) but you only hear it at around 20-30MPH and only while the car is moving, no matter what gear it is in.

Try taking it to the dealership & getting the tranny flushed. Drop the pan, clean the metal filter, all new fluids. The torque converter locks up around 45 MPH, and that's were I got my vibration. It only happend when I accelerated lightly, like a minor speed ajustment (following another car for example).

The transmission fluid needs to be changed every 15,000 miles. And getting it flushed isn't that expensive. Also, I'd make sure the tranny shop put in Toyota Type-IV fluids. Toyota doesn't release the formulas of it's ATF, so NO ONE copies it. You can't use the generic Dextron stuff.

The tranny flush isn't that expensive.

Fire -- Well, If you heard it from the dealership, then, I guess it hapens . I've just not heard of it... and a buncha people here got 100,000+ on their SCs. Hmmm.

John
Old 04-22-02, 11:14 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

From what you are saying, you had the same problem... But.. I had the tranny swap done by my local Toyota Dealership. They put new fluid in and a new converter. I aslo had the filter and seals changed. The flapping noise got much louder today. It sounds like something is spinning and flapping inside the tranny, but it might also be something else that is just filtering up through the center consol.
Old 04-23-02, 07:38 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as the clicking sound goes

check your pads/calipers/rotors to see if anything is loose (like the parking brake cable, etc)

if its clicking like with every revvolution or something similar to that; its something on the wheel itself or maybe in the differential

if it clicks once in a while; it COULD be suspension
Old 04-23-02, 04:01 PM
fire
Driver School Candidate

Default SC400 Problems

"Fire -- Well, If you heard it from the dealership, then, I guess it hapens . I've just not heard of it... and a buncha people here got 100,000+ on their SCs. Hmmm."

I've worked on lots more coupes than are represented in this forum. The dealership can kiss, well, you know. But when your talking amongst a bunch of friendly techs, they'll say, "Hey, you guys ever had driveshaft u-joints seize up in coupes?" Just thought I'd offer help in a forum I enjoy. Maybe you guys could suggest changing the transmission fluid or swapping the transmission a couple more times.

Did the noise change after the new transmission?
The rear trans mounts do sag with age. They're really easy to change.
At what throttle position does the noise occur? ie:Is the condition affected at on or off throttle? Is the driveline being driven by the engine or the road or somewhere in between when the noise occurs?
Old 04-23-02, 04:03 PM
fire
Driver School Candidate

Original post:"and you only hear it when you push the gas to the point of just maintaining a constant speed (Like if your going 45mph and let off the gas to decelerate you would hear it, and when you pushed it again to keep going 45mph you will hear it for a split second."

Driveline. You asked.

Quick Reply: SC400 Problems