Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Are the axle-back exhausts for the SC400 a piece of garbage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 07:15 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are the axle-back exhausts for the SC400 a piece of garbage?

The first thing that I would like to do to my newly bought SC400, after I do regular maintenance repairs as well as some repairs for things that are going faulty, is the exhaust.

It's a 1996 SC400 with about 130K miles.

I know that they don't make many exhausts for this car, if at all, but I was wondering if you guys could answer a question pertaining to these axle-back exhausts that I see being sold on certain sites.

These are the systems I'm talking about.

Are they worth it, do they provide any sort of performance enhancement? I don't give a damn about looks, really.

That 5zigen looks like a full system, though.

Ok, so how do I go about judging and buying the different components of the exhaust?
Old 09-05-09, 11:18 PM
Lexscme
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its up to you weather if you wanna run a custom catback? or just axlebacks? axleback dont make much noise if you have everything stock. So i would do a custom catback system.
Old 09-06-09, 10:37 AM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

I don't care too much about sound just as long as it doesn't sound like a rice rocket.

My idea is to free up some horsepower, which I heard the SC400 has a very restrictive exhaust. Could I replace the 3 cats with those high-flows from magnaflow?
Old 09-06-09, 05:17 PM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless someone has dynoed their comparisons ( stock exhaust system V.S. different aftermarket piping/ highflow cats) I'd say don't mess with the exhaust too much... The best would probably replace the mufflers with a more straight through canister..
People that say the stock exhaust is too restrictive act like its a boosted car where the exhaust NEEDS to escape rapidly... its a NA car, so I'm guessing your down low power (lower rpms) will be feeling like crap.. Unless youre going to be doing a lot of highway racing, leave your exhaust piping as close to stock as possible.. More free-flowing exhaust is only needed if you go screaming down the highway,,, around town, itll feel like crap.
(If someone has dyno tested a more freeflowing exhaust and added substantial gain, then go with it, thats all I'm saying)

And yeah, I'm guessing if you just replace the cats and leave the piping alone, you'll feel some improvement!
(BTW, I didnt know SC400s had 3 exhausts, so you might want to research it more and make sure you have you have enough to pass emission testing)
Old 09-06-09, 09:08 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

I live in Florida so I don't give a damn about emissions. The SC400 does have 3 cats, true, I may replace all three?
Old 09-07-09, 09:15 AM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Anyone have any experience with those systems?
Old 09-07-09, 11:29 AM
Ryeno
Banned

not worth the money.

Headers are the biggest problem with the stock sc400 exhaust. s&s headers cost about 600-700, after that its the y-pipe/post o2 sensor car and only after that would it be the resonators and mufflers or pre o2 sensor cats.

If you care about performance upgrade the whole exhaust at once it'll gain you about 15-30hp. (i'd keep the 2 pre o2 sensor cats and 02 sensors , the hp gain would me minimal and you might regret chopping them off later)

Last edited by Ryeno; 09-10-09 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-07-09, 03:52 PM
Lexscme
Pole Position

what i was gonna do on mine is remove the 2 resonators but still be able to bolt them back on when it comes to time to emission it.
Old 09-10-09, 08:08 AM
MuGGzyx
Driver

I have some of those on mine but they were on it when I bought it. I don't know what performance diff they might give me but I like the looks and sound of them, both aspects you already said you dont care about so, enjoy. :-P
Old 09-10-09, 08:20 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
not worth the money.

Headers are the biggest problem with the stock sc400 exhaust. s&s headers cost about 600-700, after that its the y-pipe/post o2 sensor car and only after that would it be the resonators and mufflers or pre o2 sensor cats.

If you care about performance upgrade the whole exhaust at once it'll gain you about 20-30hp. (i'd keep the 2 pre o2 sensor cats and 02 sensors , the hp gain would me minimal and you might regret chopping them off later)
The only thing I can add is the full exhaust system is from the Headers all the way back. If you were to boost it later (Super charger) you will be in good shape.