Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Problem wont end, multiple codes HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 10:30 PM
moening25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem wont end, multiple codes HELP!

92 SC400 184,000 Miles, The problems have just been one after another....

Current Problem - When I start my car (if it doesn't stall / bog down and blow smoke) My RPM's stay constant around 1000, While in park, as soon as I press on the gas, the car IMMEDIATELY shuts down! (This problem began immediately after cleaning my TPS sensor) Also when I turn the key over, (Without starting it) there is a clicking noise that last about 10 seconds, however if I press down on the gas pedal, the noise stops, when i release the gas pedal, the noise starts back up. Only when I press the gas pedal does the clicking stop, when I release, it starts again.

Codes - Yesterday ... Code 13 RPM Signal and Code 24 IAT Sensor Signal.

Codes Today - Code 13 RPM Signal Code 24 IAT sensor AND Code 31. (Today I did clean my MAF sensor, using MAF cleaner, however code 31 may have been caused from the massive amount of smoke coming from my TB and engine after it "semi imploded" in the engine)

What I have done recently - Cleaned my TB (Which was already spotless)
Seafoamed
Added Techron to gas.
Replaced Spark Plugs.
Replaced Coils
Cleaned MAF sensor.
Cleaned TPS sensor TWICE, second time I used never sieze, (Possible cause of problem, the current problem occurred after second removal and cleaning)
Changed fuel filter.
Replaced multiple cracked or bent hoses.
New Battery
New Alternator (Currently grounded to the negative battery cable)

Lastly, my CAT's have been clogged for some time, I went to replace them myself, unfortunately was unable to remove two of top bolts So I lowered the tail pipe from the bottom and completely stripped everything out of my CATs ... Which was difficult due to everything inside looking similar to a molten rock. (A shop wanted $500 JUST to remove the remaining bolts and let me drive home, I passed on his offer!) Can completely hollow CATs lead to EGR problems? I am REALLY confused .. PLEASE HELP!!

-Stranded in Houston, trying to fix my car so I can go back home to Phoenix!
Old 08-31-09, 10:50 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

wooow. how competent of a mechanic are you? and can you explain what 'semi imploded' into your engine. and can i ask why you cleaned the MAF, TPS and TB all at once? can you get a compression check and ensure the internals arent all shot to hell? it sounds like you got in way over your head with 'maintenance' that didnt need to happen.
Old 08-31-09, 11:23 PM
moening25
Driver School Candidate

Not too competent. I drove out here to Houston from Phoenix, and I need to return, my options were getting the car running and driving back, or selling it to a salvage yard in a few days and fly back home, only I would end up leaving many things such as my plasma TV and many other things if my company flew my back ...

I have been doing one thing at a time, not all at once. I have been researching similar problems to the ones I have been having, and none of them have seemed to help. for more than a few days. I am only looking to getting it running to make it back to Phoenix. Absolutely any help or advice regarding my current situation would be much appreciated!!

Right now I am not looking to spend a lot of money by towing it lexus or toyota for a diagnosis. But I would DEFINETLY like to get it running just to get back to phoenix and then get another car. Thank you again!
Old 08-31-09, 11:27 PM
moening25
Driver School Candidate

What I meant by semi imploded, is due to the fact it has been running so rich. It appears to build up a lot of gas or pressure, then when it sparks, clouds of white smoke come out of my engine with a loud bang. I checked all my spark plugs and they are all sparking on time.
Old 08-31-09, 11:29 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

id say try to find a solid independent shop and have them do a diagnostic. and then you can go from there. i wouldnt be trying to limp it home for that much of a distance. like i said it sounds like youre in a little over your head with this. at this point id change the distributor caps and rotors. there are 2. and im sure youre TPS is out of adjustment too. but that is the least of your problems right now.
Old 08-31-09, 11:35 PM
moening25
Driver School Candidate

As you stated, it is a small issue, but I have already changed the caps and rotors. Also, I had new engine and transmission mounts installed about 1 year ago, but the engine is shaking like they broke again ... A few days ago it was running fine, except slight vibration while accelerating or while driving up hill.
Old 08-31-09, 11:37 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

your engine is misfiring. when you replaced the caps are all of the wires connected to the corresponding plugs on the caps? are the rotors all timed correctly?
Old 08-31-09, 11:43 PM
moening25
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I double checked the wire three times. As far as the rotors, the only thing I am aware of doing is double checking by turning them one at a time 180 degrees and checking to see if both rotors are positioned correctly, what else would I have to do to verify the timing?
Old 08-31-09, 11:47 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

number 1 cylinder is on the driver side bank. front of the engine. so when your number 1 cylinder is on top dead center the rotor should be facing the number 1 port on the distributor. which is the farthest right. so yeah it sounds like your engine trouble is misfiring. like i said, if this is all correct, then def do a compression test.

you still havent answered what imploded into the engine.
Old 08-31-09, 11:50 PM
moening25
Driver School Candidate

Okay, thank you VERY much, I will go to my car right now and re-check.
Old 08-31-09, 11:51 PM
moening25
Driver School Candidate

What I meant by semi imploded, is due to the fact it has been running so rich. It appears to build up a lot of gas or pressure, then when it sparks, clouds of white smoke come out of my engine with a loud bang. I checked all my spark plugs and they are all sparking on time.
Old 08-31-09, 11:55 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

how do you know that?
Old 09-01-09, 12:53 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

24 and 31 coincide with each other since the MAF (which it is not) was cleaned. you should have just left it alone, the older karman vortex AFM (air flow meter) dont respond well to cleaning. so that might also contribute to your hesitation. but like i said, youre misfiring too much to really relate that to the AFM.