Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Weapon-R ECU/ColdAirbox/HyperFilter/RamAir

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 07:58 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weapon-R ECU/ColdAirbox/HyperFilter/RamAir

Just installed the WR ECU and just ordered the rest of the kit. I want to see exactly how much this kit will put HP to my wheels. Madmax has had his car done by WR and now mine will be taken there too. Leo will fine tune my ECU for my car as well. That means...dyno reports will be coming! It will be interesting to see the effects of the upgrade on another car. Since no two cars are the same it will provide even better estimates on how your vehicle would respond to the upgrade.

The ECU so far is worth the smoothness of the ride. It did round out some of the edges in the power curve. I have not seen a dyno yet but I can feel it smoother. Also I created a nice cloud of tire smoke the other day. This ECU at the first running may not seem to evident but as it adjusts to your driving style it starts to really change. The most marked change was at over 40MPH. There was also a change near 20MPH as well. The stock sluggishness of the throttle response is lessened and should be reduced even further once the car can breathe easier with the new air system.

After this is all tuned up I will go install the Precision TC.

Although I almost got supercharged by Swift Racing...again...and then they backed down I think I might try to max out my car NA. The stroker kit seems like a good idea and I might give it a try as well as even maybe a good port and polish. This will carry me through until the Supra replacement comes and empties my wallet. The 4500GT is supposed to be nice though. I still call Toyota and push the topic from time to time...

Back to the topic I am hoping to tune the SC below 6 seconds 0-60 with just the WR mods. Remember that my SC400 weighs 3600lbs only. Do you guys think this is possible?

Then with TC I am hoping ~5.6 0-60.

Then with the 5.0L stroker kit I am hoping for another 55 to the wheels and maybe ~5.2 0-60.
Old 04-16-02, 08:01 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Oops I forgot the custom exhaust from Weapon-R. The stroker kit would definitely require the car to breathe much freer.
Old 04-17-02, 06:36 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

The stroker kit will give you about a 10% increase in power, but going all the way out to 5 litres will probably end up giving you more than that ballpark, hopefully 40-50 more hp. Since the heads are the key to power in any NA motor, you could potentially see another 10% with knowledgeable port work done with an eye towards velocity, not volume, and perhaps an upgrade to slightly larger valves (would love to see some custom-ground cams in there). Combined with the ECU, intake, exhaust, and converter, maybe an upgraded valve body, i'll drink CAM2 if it doesn't turn low-mid 5's 0-60 on a DOT.
- Jon
Old 04-25-02, 08:21 AM
007lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Hermosa
Oops I forgot the custom exhaust from Weapon-R. The stroker kit would definitely require the car to breathe much freer.
Hey Hermosa,

what exactly is a 'stroker kit'? who, what, how???you know the rest. how do you upgrade/change a 4.0L to a 5.0L?

thks
Old 04-25-02, 10:31 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a stroker kit lengthens the stroke of the rod and piston movement inside an engine
makes for more displacement, and therefore more torque and horsepower

the 5.0L kit would be a stroker kit; and a bore job to increase the bore size of the cylinders

a 5.0L 32v motor would sound pretty nice
Old 05-07-02, 05:29 PM
aggies05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've heard on other forums, I've only heard bad things about WeaponR. I've heard basically that ever other brand is better than WeaponR, is this true?
Old 05-08-02, 08:26 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

I am curious to where you heard that. I am quite happy with my Weapon-R goods. My car pulls so much stronger in the entire power range now that I have the ECU and intake. I am in the process of having two of the WR ram air kits flow to the filter. Once I do this and the exhaust the car should pull even more. The restrictive exhaust is the main factor at this point. Headers would be nice but we would need to do a group buy to make them cost effective.

I was going to post dyno results but I have to wait until the dyno shop I use finishes moving.
Old 05-09-02, 01:57 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Weapon-R Intake

Last edited by Hermosa; 05-09-02 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 12:44 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Sounds bad ***!

Hermosa, does that WR box have a backing piece to it or is it a two-piece heat shield? How is the top piece being held down in the front? I only see one scew on it. Last question, how much did the full upgrade cost you?

Full intake, ECU, cat-back performance exhaust, stroker kit, and a torque converter should make for a very quick SC400. Try dropping some weight on the car too. Forged aluminum 18" wheels will be a marked improvement over those heavy *** cast wheels. I'd take out the spare tire too (-54 pounds).
Old 05-14-02, 09:44 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Sounds bad ***!

Originally posted by lex400sc
Hermosa, does that WR box have a backing piece to it or is it a two-piece heat shield? How is the top piece being held down in the front? I only see one scew on it. Last question, how much did the full upgrade cost you?
Three piece heat shield.

More screws on the side.

WR ECU $850
WR Intake/Airbox/Filter $365
WR RAM Air $65
ECU can be reprogrammed when going forced induction.

Originally posted by lex400sc
Full intake, ECU, cat-back performance exhaust, stroker kit, and a torque converter should make for a very quick SC400. Try dropping some weight on the car too. Forged aluminum 18" wheels will be a marked improvement over those heavy *** cast wheels. I'd take out the spare tire too (-54 pounds).
TC and Exhaust coming soon. Hoping to be 5.5 seconds 0-60.