Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone have a Greddy XM exhaust on their 97+ sc300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 12:29 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a Greddy XM exhaust on their 97+ sc300?

...if so, is the cost of installing this catback exhaust system worth the gains in performance (hp gain), sound, etc.? Please post your opinions...thanks guys.
Old 04-17-02, 06:43 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Is it worth it to you?

That is the question. Unless you plan on doing a lot of other things to your car - a plain cat back is maybe a 2hp gain in a certain rpm range. To truly know, you need to take your car stock and dyno it. Then take your car with only the exhaust modification and dyno it. This costs a lot more money than buying it and installing it.

I've had a couple of cars before with greddy - still got one and it has held up excellent for two years - except when my girlfriend bottoms the car out.

Sure they look good and sound good, but you could probably get more hp for the dollar elsewhere.

electric fans, n20, saving for the turbo (you will replace the exhaust at that time)

Good luck with your exhaust.

Last edited by awj; 04-17-02 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-17-02, 10:35 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Old 04-18-02, 10:01 AM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by awj
Is it worth it to you?

That is the question. Unless you plan on doing a lot of other things to your car - a plain cat back is maybe a 2hp gain in a certain rpm range. To truly know, you need to take your car stock and dyno it. Then take your car with only the exhaust modification and dyno it. This costs a lot more money than buying it and installing it.

I've had a couple of cars before with greddy - still got one and it has held up excellent for two years - except when my girlfriend bottoms the car out.

Sure they look good and sound good, but you could probably get more hp for the dollar elsewhere.

electric fans, n20, saving for the turbo (you will replace the exhaust at that time)

Good luck with your exhaust.

just curious what electric fans do? where is it installed?

More info needed?

I have sc400
Old 04-18-02, 12:44 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

The whole idea works off of parasitic drag. This is wasted energy lost by using the rotating crank to drive other mechanisms - i.e power steering, a/c, alternator - that kind of stuff.

On the SC300, the cooling fan is driven directly by the crank. It has a clutch that engages when a thermostat reaches a certain temperature - or something like that - either way it is parasitic drag and lost energy.

So remove this thing. You lose about 8lbs. or so - haven't weighed it. This is directly affecting your performance. Now that energy used to turn that fan and the dead weight of the fan are gone. It can be used elsewhere. But how do you cool your motor?

You should put the dual electric set-up in there because while the motor is at idle - the car is not moving - it is going to heat up. I forgot to turn the fans on after I had trouble getting the car started and left it to charge. Well about 10-15 minutes later the damn thing was shooting boiling coolant out the bypass. OOPS.

A moving car should have enough airflow around the motor to keep it cool unless you are running high boost or more than stock output.

Anywhere you can reduce parasitic drag results in more usable power - you haven't increased your power but you have redirected it to another place and if you are lucky - you'll get it to the ground!

Similar items - underdrive pulleys - reduce the diameter of your power steering pulley, alternator pulley, a/c pulley - or remove the a/c. There are drawbacks to doing these things - but for the sc300, the fan thing is a good idea. Similar principles can be applied to the SC400 - but I'm not familiar with the UZ.

I bought the SC with the fans already - so I don't know what kind of noticeable gain was acheived. The previous owner did comment on the increase in performance however and it does make sense. The car is a blast to drive w/ the 5spd, can't wait for the turbo. I still have the stock components and they do weigh a little bit -

Anyone want to buy a stock 93 2JZ GE cooling fan shroud and assy?
Old 04-18-02, 12:49 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

where is it installed?
Oh yea, sorry.

The new fans get mounted directly behind the radiator with convenient clips. It is really compact.