Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust and Suspension questions

Old 08-29-09, 05:42 PM
AEMxRACER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust and Suspension questions

Ok, so Ive been trying to do some research on above-mentioned items for the SC- being the noob I am, I come across a problem frequently while doing research...there are so many different components to each system and prices can vary greatly, so I always wonder exactly which pieces are needed and whether or not they should be bought in a package, or individual components, etc- is a full exhaust system going to come with generally the same pieces, regardless of brand? What advantages are there to running straight pipes rather than with the cats?..... and then for the suspension, I just want to lower the car and inch or two once I put some wheels on it- would lowering springs suffice? or are additional components required to lower the car for daily driving?

If any would dain to kindly respond to a few of questions in a helpful and informative manner, it would be greatly appreciated- gracias

please dont hate, lol, imma noob
Old 08-29-09, 05:44 PM
AEMxRACER
Driver School Candidate

Default Exhaust

Ok, so Ive been trying to do some research on above-mentioned items for the SC- being the noob I am, I come across a problem frequently while doing research...there are so many different components to each system and prices can vary greatly, so I always wonder exactly which pieces are needed and whether or not they should be bought in a package, or individual components, etc- is a full exhaust system going to come with generally the same pieces, regardless of brand? What advantages are there to running straight pipes rather than with the cats?.....

If any would dain to kindly respond to a few of questions in a helpful and informative manner, it would be greatly appreciated- gracias

please dont hate, lol, imma noob
Old 08-29-09, 06:21 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ill help by telling you to try and post in the correct section.. like in the suspension & brakes section and also the performance & maintenance section... you will get more responses there. I am sure of it.
Old 08-29-09, 07:04 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

When dealing with exhaust, its almost always cheaper to take it to an exhaust shop and get one made. The only exception are the mufflers.

Here check this out: http://planetsoarer.com/pdf/xfactorcolour.pdf

For you're car, I say go for 2.25" piping with that crossover to some mufflers. Or go 2" MANDREL BENT piping to that crossover then some mufflers. That should maintain the low end power without taking any top end away.

Or if you want it to sound deep, you can go with 2.5" piping. But you will lose your low end power.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to hit me up. I did a lot of research when it came to exhaust work.
Old 08-30-09, 01:15 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Very few full exhaust systems are out for these. Mine was all custom, but a few make some cat-back systems. For a quick cheap suspension just get Supra TT springs and shocks for usually $200 and you will get an 1" to 1.5" drop, just right for 18's!
Old 09-05-09, 04:00 PM
AEMxRACER
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Captain SC, excellent advice- im hoping to throw some 18's on there sometime soon
Old 09-05-09, 04:09 PM
AEMxRACER
Driver School Candidate

What is the effect of different size in the piping? Like 2" vs. 2.5" and such? If the exhaust was custom built, you say it might be cheaper? Some of the full exhaust I was looking at on the internet, I only found like 2, were around 800-900$, seeing as how custom work would be different- what kind of prices should you expect to pay? and how do you determine that the mech is well-intentioned and not trying to screw you over? lol
Old 09-05-09, 04:23 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid less than $200 for 3'' mandrel bent pipes from the cat-back, and didnt feel any loss in low end power..then I cut it up, re welded and went to a single exit..

it really depends on how much you want to spend and what your end goals are. If you plan on boosting any time in the near future, go with a 3'' exhaust from the start. If you go and have a custom exhaust made, tell them you want as few bends as possible. If all else fails and you dont mind dishing out some cash, just order an exhaust for a 93 to 98 supra, add the 6'' extension and your done.