Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

top feed fuel rail install

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-09, 03:53 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top feed fuel rail install

So I have a few questions about installing this top feed rail I have from FIC.

Its setup for dual feed and I don't currently have a plug, but I do have a Y and plenty of AN fittings so I'll dual feed the rail from the stock hardline for now. My question is...how the hell do you remove the Fuel Pulse Dampner? I have the intake manifold off so its no big deal to get to it or the flare nut under neath the car...

My question is, with taken off, how do I attach -6 braided hose to that? What do you guys do? Do I have to run new line all the way from the filter in the rear?

Also which direction does the fuel flow? Does it flow from that flare INTO the dampner then to the rail and out the other hard line or is the dampner the last stop before it returns to the tank?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-09, 05:47 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The feed runs through the filter, through the pulsation damper, then into the rail, through the regulator, and out the other side for the return. If you think about it, why would the filter be in the return?

Pretty much every single aftermarket fuel rail has feeds on both sides, then a return out of the middle. The way you're thinking is just fine. You can run a line off of the stock hardline feed (right out of the filter) into one side of the rail. But you will also need an additional feed line out of the tank all the way up to the rail on the other side for the 2nd feed. You can T the one stock feed into both sides of the rail, but I don't reccommend that. Then just run the return out of the middle of the rail, to an aftermarket regulator, and then back to your stock return. These aren't the ideal ways to do it, but they'll be just fine.
Old 08-29-09, 08:08 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I know the filter...was just talking about up by the engine bay if the dampner was on the feed or return. Logic says feed, but wanted to be sure before cutting the braided lines.

The Y I'm using into the stock rail off the factory feed is only temporary. When I install the 2nd pump, I plan to run a -6 line from the tank to the rail with an inline filter.

A friend gave me a great idea about the dampener, since it has that stupid flare fitting on it, he just cut the rubber hose that leads to the bottom of the device and put a pushlock fitting on it. That is my plan for the the foreseeable future.