Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The 1 year plan Teaser- 1uzfe meet Holset

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 10:38 PM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Unless I missed it, what's the actual plan? BTW, pretty sure those turbos aren't the same. Clean all the crap off of them, pull the housings off and MIC them and I bet you get different specs. I'm for sure they at least have different compressor housings.
So run them as sequential turbos if they are different sizes
Old 08-31-09, 10:47 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did a little more research in the last few min. I found evidence of BOTH style compressor housing used on the HX35's, that are the exact same turbos. Thanks for pointing it out, good to know this info.
Old 09-01-09, 01:14 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
I thought the EXACT same thing! The compressor housing looks slightly different. I already pulled them apart, they match 99.9% (may of missed something). The exhaust side both match (12cm)... From what I can see (and researched) they are the exact same. I am not going to worry about it until I find something that points me in the direction of thinking they are completely mismatched.

The plan is pretty obvious... Twin HX35 1uzfe.
Yeah that's not really a plan... Lol. I just think it's funny everyone's all ecstatic about turbos and noone even knows what you plan to do about EMS, fuel, how you're going to do the plumbing, or anything for that matter, haha. Don't get me wrong it sounds like a hell of a project, I'm just interested in the other 99.9% of what is going to be involved.

Glad to know you're up on what's what with the turbos, that could cause some problems. If they really are the same it's a simple fix by just running the same housing.
Old 09-01-09, 01:47 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Redphoenix,

Another boosted V8 on the road! Very nice indeed! In case if you care about the W58 that won't hold up, IPT has a hi-performance rebuild kit for it. If you have the engine outside and know some welding, you can finish fabricating the system by tack-welding it within a week or 2. Then take the rest to the pro welder for another couple of days. The other tasks will take another week or 2. That sounds a little bit optimistic, but it's possible and it also depends on how much time you'll put in each day.

Are you teasing with rebuilding the engine, too?
Old 09-01-09, 01:58 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

damn...every year more awesome than the last
Old 09-01-09, 07:17 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Yeah that's not really a plan... Lol. I just think it's funny everyone's all ecstatic about turbos and noone even knows what you plan to do about EMS, fuel, how you're going to do the plumbing, or anything for that matter, haha. Don't get me wrong it sounds like a hell of a project, I'm just interested in the other 99.9% of what is going to be involved.

Glad to know you're up on what's what with the turbos, that could cause some problems. If they really are the same it's a simple fix by just running the same housing.
Aw yes... the meat and potatoes. Ill sum it up, because the list is really long.

Manifolds - Schedule 40 SS 304 ; 4 into 2 setup with divided flanges, so cyl 1/3 and 2/4 will be connected to the turbo's divided flange.

Downpipe - Really depends on the room I have, either will be dual 2.5" or single 3", depending on the room I have allowed.

Dual Tial 38mm wastegates

Oil Sandwich plate for the oil feed, dual -3an, dual -10an or -12an oil drain. 2x aluminum fittings welded into the upper pan

Large Single or Dual A/W intercool (I have a large Spearco core I want to use thats laying around in my room)

AEM EMS or Mega Squirt

Whole new fuel system (from scratch using the stock tank)

looking at 500+ CC injectors... I have Supra 315's laying around that I will probably use in the beginning, but after about 350/400whp I should change them.

Thats kinda the basics of it... There are 1,000,000 other things that will be needed.

I am posting up all my progress of my blog.

www.mysoarer.blogspot.com

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Redphoenix,

Another boosted V8 on the road! Very nice indeed! In case if you care about the W58 that won't hold up, IPT has a hi-performance rebuild kit for it. If you have the engine outside and know some welding, you can finish fabricating the system by tack-welding it within a week or 2. Then take the rest to the pro welder for another couple of days. The other tasks will take another week or 2. That sounds a little bit optimistic, but it's possible and it also depends on how much time you'll put in each day.

Are you teasing with rebuilding the engine, too?
The W58 will probably be changed out way before I even boost it... it all really depends if I find enough time during the semester to rebuild my R154, finish up the adapter plate, etc...

About the welding. I am not too shabby at tig welding. I could probably accomplish it all if I practiced a little more. My original plan was to tack it all together and give it to a friend of mine (who is master elite pro tig welder lol) and have him finish it... but we will see how I fair in completing it myself.

The engine rebuild isn't a joke. Have not decided if I want to go as far as doing a non vvti 2uz (1uz crank) and have that build or stick to a MUCH simpler build and do a 2uz block with the 1uz goodies. Advantages to both, really depends if I score a 2uz thats not blown to bits and is complete for a good price.
Old 09-01-09, 10:01 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aw yes... the meat and potatoes. Ill sum it up, because the list is really long.

Manifolds - Schedule 40 SS 304 ; 4 into 2 setup with divided flanges, so cyl 1/3 and 2/4 will be connected to the turbo's divided flange.

Downpipe - Really depends on the room I have, either will be dual 2.5" or single 3", depending on the room I have allowed.

Dual Tial 38mm wastegates

Oil Sandwich plate for the oil feed, dual -3an, dual -10an or -12an oil drain. 2x aluminum fittings welded into the upper pan

Large Single or Dual A/W intercool (I have a large Spearco core I want to use thats laying around in my room)

AEM EMS or Mega Squirt

Whole new fuel system (from scratch using the stock tank)

looking at 500+ CC injectors... I have Supra 315's laying around that I will probably use in the beginning, but after about 350/400whp I should change them.

Thats kinda the basics of it... There are 1,000,000 other things that will be needed.

I am posting up all my progress of my blog.

www.mysoarer.blogspot.com

The W58 will probably be changed out way before I even boost it... it all really depends if I find enough time during the semester to rebuild my R154, finish up the adapter plate, etc...

About the welding. I am not too shabby at tig welding. I could probably accomplish it all if I practiced a little more. My original plan was to tack it all together and give it to a friend of mine (who is master elite pro tig welder lol) and have him finish it... but we will see how I fair in completing it myself.

The engine rebuild isn't a joke. Have not decided if I want to go as far as doing a non vvti 2uz (1uz crank) and have that build or stick to a MUCH simpler build and do a 2uz block with the 1uz goodies. Advantages to both, really depends if I score a 2uz thats not blown to bits and is complete for a good price.
Now we're talkin.
Old 09-01-09, 04:02 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When do we get to se real pikx
Old 09-01-09, 05:44 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering about the internals as well. Were I you (and keep in mind that I've not researched this in depth yet, just glanced around so far) I would go with 2UZ displacement (be it shortblock or just internals), just for that added power and possibly strength. I'm contemplating that as my initial power project, before FI.
Old 09-01-09, 08:15 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Asha'man
I was wondering about the internals as well. Were I you (and keep in mind that I've not researched this in depth yet, just glanced around so far) I would go with 2UZ displacement (be it shortblock or just internals), just for that added power and possibly strength. I'm contemplating that as my initial power project, before FI.
Ill sum it up...

92-94 1uzfe's are A LOT stronger than the 2uzfe's.
2uzfe has the "skinny" rods, in which TRD stop production of the TRD supercharger because it kept busting rods.

What I plan on doing is running stock 1uzfe for awhile.

In the mean time I will be building either a:

1uzfe with a 2uzfe block and pistons, using the 1uzfe crank (probably like a 4.5L or so) but it will rev nicer than a 2uz.

Pro's - Nearly a direct swap in, no wiring at all
Cons - No coil on plug, heads dont flow as nice as the 2uz, side facing manifold

OR

2uzfe with a 1uzfe crank (same reason as above).

Pro's - better head flow, forward facing intake, COP,
Con's - OBD2 bs, lots of wiring, the many CEL's I will have...
Old 09-01-09, 10:01 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

...The W58 will probably be changed out way before I even boost it... it all really depends if I find enough time during the semester to rebuild my R154, finish up the adapter plate, etc...

Another alternative for the fuel injectors would be the 2nd generation RX7. The turbo model has 460 cc/min with high impedance and they fit right onto SC clips. The non-turbo has 440 cc/min (may be 460 cc/min) with low impendance and they won't fit the SC clips. The latter will need an inline resistor for each injector and a modified clip. I'm currently using 2 sets of the turbo model and they're all perfect. They should handle 400 rwhp easily, especially with a manual with less lost whp.

When you mentioned you're not shabby with welding, then I know you can do it. You'll just need a cheap mig welder and tack-weld everything. When you weld by yourself, you can control of how your system will be, will be able to cut the cost down, and the main thing is you won't have to worry about where to find a shop that can really do it. Most performance shops just don't know how to do it, including the welding shop. The knowledge to do it combines both.

The 2UZ blocks only weighs 80 lbs more than the 1UZ. I think the manual tranny is lighter than the stock auto, so that's the make-up for the heavier block. You're having the bests of both worlds. Danggggg!
Old 09-02-09, 04:55 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

RX7 injectors are a great alternative, thanks.
Old 08-11-10, 09:39 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The year passed some time ago. It´s your car turboed now?
Old 08-11-10, 10:41 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

looks sweet good luck on the project. The 2nd gen rx-7 turbo II injectors I am running are 550, Im not sure where the 460 number came from but be sure to double check (I think different year ranges came with different injectors or something wierd like that), mine are red tops and they drop into the 2jz-ge fuel rail, not sure about the 1uz though.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-11-10 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-11-10, 12:48 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
The year passed some time ago. It´s your car turboed now?
true, but all good things take time..even if longer than originally planned.

any plans on ditching the w58, or do you think its going to hold up?

Quick Reply: The 1 year plan Teaser- 1uzfe meet Holset