Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pulling my 1uz-fe out of the SC400

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-09, 05:49 AM
Anti-Venom
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling my 1uz-fe out of the SC400

I bought my 1995 SC400 a few weeks ago for $800 with 232,XXX miles on it.

I bought the car as a weekend toy, and when going through it, it was a good deal for the money.

Problems:
The body has 2 small door dings and some of the clear coat is coming off of the bumper.
There is a gasket that seems to have a leak
Needed a new TPS (already replaced)
There are no seats in the car, which is okay because I'm going to put racing seats in the front and do a rear seat delete.
Needed a new radio and climate control (ordered and in route)

The engine pull
I've never pulled an engine before, but I have a good sense of direction in knowing what I am looking at a dealing with under the hood. I'm pulling the engine in order to replace every gasket and seal. I'm also considering on upgrading the head studs, valves, cams, and etc. I'm going to try to post some pictures along the way, and since I am doing most of this on my own, I'm not really doing a DIY.

Hopefully I won't run into any problems, but any tips that people have or answers to a random question would be appreciated.

I will try to update my progress as I go. Since this is my weekend toy, I'm expecting this to take several weekends to get back to order.

08/21/2009
My engines new home for the next couple of weeks

After the radiator was removed (not sure if that was necessary, but helps make more room.)

I think I gained 4 inches lol

Time for the shocker

My current issue is getting the exhaust headers off the engine. I may be able to disconnect the first set of cats since the headers are pretty short, the problem with that is that the bolts are frozen/siezed and wd-40, liquid wrench, and breaker bar have all failed, but they did succeed at rounding out the nut. I think I may need to borrow a blow torch.

Any tips?
Old 08-26-09, 06:45 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude thats os damn funny good luck with the proiject ill be keepn a eye on it
Old 08-26-09, 07:55 PM
Anti-Venom
Driver

I appreciate the kind words. I was excited to be able to pull it this coming weekend, but work has called me in.... I'm anxious to get it out.
Old 08-27-09, 02:21 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You need the show stopper.
LOL!
Attached Thumbnails Pulling my 1uz-fe out of the SC400-shocker_tshirt1.jpg  
Old 08-27-09, 04:17 AM
Anti-Venom
Driver

that pic should come when the motor goes back in

Last edited by Anti-Venom; 08-27-09 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-27-09, 06:25 AM
GRN MNSTR
Pole Position

LMAO @ the show stopper

Looks like you're making good progress
Old 08-27-09, 10:09 AM
100mgbluep
Lead Lap

Car looks good for only $800. As far as the exhaust goes, you might just hack it off... You can get manifolds for next to nothing around here and wasting your time with liquid wrench and beating the **** out of your hands just isnt worth it in my book.
Old 08-27-09, 07:54 PM
Anti-Venom
Driver

Originally Posted by 100mgbluep
Car looks good for only $800. As far as the exhaust goes, you might just hack it off... You can get manifolds for next to nothing around here and wasting your time with liquid wrench and beating the **** out of your hands just isnt worth it in my book.

I hate to admit it, but I got the car for a really great price in my opinion. I haven't surfed the internet enough yet, but are there any after market options for exhaust manifolds that are any better than the stockers? Or are most gains from removing the 17 cats/resonators/mufflers/etc?

PS. I know there aren't 17.... I'm just exaggerating.
Old 08-27-09, 10:32 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Headers, TQ Converter (Precision), Nology wires, stroker kit, etc. Go to Lextreme.com and search for info on there to improve the performance of your V8 Lexus.

Ryan

Originally Posted by Joe@Stance
I hate to admit it, but I got the car for a really great price in my opinion. I haven't surfed the internet enough yet, but are there any after market options for exhaust manifolds that are any better than the stockers? Or are most gains from removing the 17 cats/resonators/mufflers/etc?

PS. I know there aren't 17.... I'm just exaggerating.
Old 08-28-09, 01:56 PM
Anti-Venom
Driver

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Headers, TQ Converter (Precision), Nology wires, stroker kit, etc. Go to Lextreme.com and search for info on there to improve the performance of your V8 Lexus.

Ryan
I'm going to check out that forum. I've looked around a little before. Seems like there is a lot more to offer about the performance aspect on that forum vs this one... or maybe I'm just not in the right sections. I'd love to supercharge this thing, but I'm trying to stick to a budget and I want to take care of some other things first.
Old 08-28-09, 04:24 PM
schase
Pole Position

i did a engine swap last week took me 2-3 days cuz of heat
for some reason taking out the 400 engine aint that hard
hardest part 2 me be the wire harness n clutch fan
post some more pics interior
Old 09-07-09, 05:31 PM
Anti-Venom
Driver

Well.... since I couldn't get the engine pulled this weekend, I focused on some interior. I was able to get my hands on a radio, climate control, and cup holder. The tan carpet was stained to hell.... I guess the previous owner was a major coffee drinker. So I opted to use some left over fabric to recover the carpet. I'd give myself and 8 out of 10 on that job. So here are some pictures of everything put back together. I still have some interior work to do.... but that will come soon.

Before

After

Once I pass my licensure exam coming up in October, The boss (Wife) is going to be letting me purchase some racing seats and harness bar for the interior. In the meantime, I'm starting to mock up my rear seat delete for the nitrous bottles and amps. I also recovered the back deck panel that holds the speaker grills in the same black material. I'm going to cover the rear seat delete and headliner in the same black fabric. I'm going to finish the door panels with the fake leather and also with suede. The rest of the tan interior pieces will be replaced over time until I have an all black interior. I'd rather put the money into performance and necessities first.
Old 09-08-09, 07:37 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im in love with ur new interior how did u get it so creamy tan wow did u pain
Old 09-08-09, 08:05 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... another exciting build to look forward to and seing the finished product... Keep us posted....
Old 09-09-09, 03:16 AM
Anti-Venom
Driver

Originally Posted by jdm93400
im in love with ur new interior how did u get it so creamy tan wow did u pain
I haven't seen any other SC's in person, so I can't tell if I did a really good job cleaning it up, or if it's my iphone taking some favorable pictures. I have been cleaning my interior plastics with the armorall interior protectant wipes. It's what I had laying around, cheap at target. I didn't paint any of the interior. Just cleaned it up a bit.

Originally Posted by masagsxr
Wow... another exciting build to look forward to and seing the finished product... Keep us posted....
I appreciate the kind words. It's motivation to keep moving forward.

Quick Reply: Pulling my 1uz-fe out of the SC400