Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pulling my 1uz-fe out of the SC400

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 01:09 AM
2700$oarer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, i was gona crack a joke or say something smart.... but that interior flip around definitely gave it a boost in the right direction. yes i agree with the person a couple of post up, cut the exhaust off so you can move on with it. as for headers, there is a company in texas that makes headers for gs400 that will fit, though pricey around 600 give or take. and there are some installation issues when putting them in but with the motor out of the car it will easier... keep it up and go crazy its you toy!
Old 09-13-09, 09:57 AM
Anti-Venom
Driver

I'm getting very close.....

I need a little help from you guys that have pulled motors before. I'm trying to figure out where I disconnect the drive shaft at. This photo shows a picture from under the car, but I am not sure which bolts to unbolt.

The top of the picture is the front of the car and the bottom of the picture is the rear.

If I have to unbolt the larger bolts, how do I spin the drive shaft to get access to the bolt closest to the floor board of the car....do I put it in neutral and twist it?

Also, which area should I be marking?
Old 09-13-09, 01:44 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll need to put the shifter into neutral, but to do that without the key, you'll need to use a flat head screw driver and push down into the shifter lock to unlock it. You'll see a little slot to the left of the shifter above the "P".

Then the tranny & drive shaft should spin freely. You'll need to have a 17mm socket/wrench and 17mm wrench to unbolt the bolts. Just rotate the drive shaft around until you have enough clearance to take the bolt 1 at a time. The drive shaft bushing may be stubborn, so hammering on it to take it out first. Push the drive shaft back to the rear and pull it down. Then remove the tranny mount bolts. Watch out when the tranny drops down. You may need to also disconnect the tranny mount from the tranny to gain clearance when taking the engine out.
Old 09-13-09, 04:23 PM
Anti-Venom
Driver

I actually figured it out from the 2 minute engine swap video.... I saw that I needed to focus a little further down the drive shaft.

Good news....engine is out!!!!

I will post pics after I clean up, because I no longer look like a fly white guy!
Old 09-13-09, 04:26 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats! It's time to do the tidious stuffs.
Old 09-13-09, 05:18 PM
Anti-Venom
Driver

Ok, so here are some shots.... stupid iphone grainy shots...

Breaking the horizon

Needed to pitch it up some more, so I got some help from my father-in-law

Triumph!

I wish I could photoshop myself talking to Vin Diesel from fast and the furious for a lame factor.

When it's back together, this will be necessary!
Old 09-14-09, 10:48 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Nice! That drive shaft looks like it's stuck in there like a tail. LOL. When you put the engine back in, you should remove it or you'll spend hours trying to push it through the tunnel. Even if you can let it through, it'll tear off the firewall's insulation right at the tunnel's mouth. It happened.
Old 04-11-10, 09:31 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SO did you ever finish the install? I am going to be undertaking this process in a few weeks hopefully!!
Old 04-11-10, 06:02 PM
Anti-Venom
Driver

I've been working on the interior...converting from tan to black. I also added some racing seats, belts, and harness bar. I just got my NOS Launcher System. Painted the Intake Manifold... Just a few more touch ups on the interior and door panels, then the engine comes apart. 3 jobs keep me pretty tied up.

Here's some progress pictures. I also ordered the Koul Tools kit so I can make my own steel braided lines for everything.

Old 04-12-10, 04:27 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good man, where in FL are you?
Old 04-12-10, 06:16 PM
Anti-Venom
Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Looking good man, where in FL are you?
I'm in Naples Florida.... not much of an SC scene over here. Mostly Old people with some well preserved SC's due to being snow birds.
Old 10-05-10, 09:12 PM
wernersl
Driver School Candidate

Well this is my first post in the forum. Just picked up a Pearl White 93 SC400. Pretty stoked about it. Sure its no F1, but has decent pick up and a fun to drive factor. Anyway, just wondering where you are at with the build......
Old 10-06-10, 04:12 AM
Anti-Venom
Driver

Originally Posted by wernersl
Well this is my first post in the forum. Just picked up a Pearl White 93 SC400. Pretty stoked about it. Sure its no F1, but has decent pick up and a fun to drive factor. Anyway, just wondering where you are at with the build......
My Cylinder heads are currently being built. Port and Grind, Aggressive Cams, Upgraded Springs, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something with that.... These mods should allow me to raise my rev limit to 9000rpm with an extra oil pump. I should have the heads done by the end of this month and back in my possession.

I'm currently saving for the 2uz short block conversion, rods, pistons, bearings, and etc. When all is said and done, this will be a pretty complete built motor.

I just recently got the plumbing in for the direct port nitrous and I'm about to order an Individual Throttle Body setup. I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to do with the transmission and rear end. It would be pretty stupid to ignore these components after dumping a lot of money on the motor.
Old 10-06-10, 05:57 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

awesome thread =) wish I was closer to Naples, I'd come by and help just for the experience!!

gl
Old 10-06-10, 08:26 PM
Anti-Venom
Driver

Originally Posted by keskipper
awesome thread =) wish I was closer to Naples, I'd come by and help just for the experience!!

gl
Thanks.

I know this project is slow going, but I gotta work to keep the bills paid and take care of my 3 month old daughter. It's coming along piece by piece. I can't wait to get it on a track though to see how it does.

Quick Reply: Pulling my 1uz-fe out of the SC400