Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Oil change and Lucas oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 03:28 PM
terrylin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change and Lucas oil questions

I'll be doing an oil change on my 95 Sc300 with 137k on them. I live in SoCal. What oil weight should I be using? The sticker from a previous oil change says 5w-?? Is there a DIY thread somewhere on how to change oil on this car? Is it any different from other cars? I used to change my own oil on my Hondas...

Also, I've read quite a bit on the postings here regarding lucas oil as a fuel additive / cleanser. I couldn't decide to go with the positive or negative feedbacks. Bottom line question - will it harm your car? Or is the worst case scenario a loss of $10?

Please help, thanks.
Old 08-23-09, 11:09 AM
95silversc
Rookie

Originally Posted by terrylin
I'll be doing an oil change on my 95 Sc300 with 137k on them. I live in SoCal. What oil weight should I be using? The sticker from a previous oil change says 5w-?? Is there a DIY thread somewhere on how to change oil on this car? Is it any different from other cars? I used to change my own oil on my Hondas...

Also, I've read quite a bit on the postings here regarding lucas oil as a fuel additive / cleanser. I couldn't decide to go with the positive or negative feedbacks. Bottom line question - will it harm your car? Or is the worst case scenario a loss of $10?

Please help, thanks.
5w-30. Procedure is the same as every car.

Open oil fill cap and dipstick. Remove the oil filter and drain plug. Drain oil. Remove copper gasket from drain plug. Clean drain plug, drain plug hole and filter mount. Install new oil filter. Install clean drain plug with new copper gasket. Fill with oil replace oil cap and dipstick. Done.

I wouldnt use lucas oil no real need for this product. Just buy quality oil (Castrol, Mobil 1, Royal Purple for example) and change it at regular intervals.
Old 08-23-09, 11:37 PM
terrylin
Driver

Default Copper Gasket?

I got everything you said except that...and i'll need to change it @ every oil change? Also, the manual says oil changes to be every 7,500 miles, is that true?
Old 08-24-09, 06:55 AM
95silversc
Rookie

You can get like 3 for $1 at any auto part store. Ask for copper o-rings or copper drain plug gaskets. They come in different sizes. Pick ones that fit your plug.

The gasket looks like this:

Many people do not use them but nearly ever car (including SCs) is designed to make use of them. And yes you change it every oil change. The purpose is so you do not over tighten the drain plug and strip out the thin threads there. The copper smears and crushes and makes a perfect seal.

As far as the 7,500 miles interval, that would be the maximum I would let it go. I always change mine around 4k
Old 08-24-09, 03:17 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 95silversc
5w-30. Procedure is the same as every car.

Open oil fill cap and dipstick. Remove the oil filter and drain plug. Drain oil. Remove copper gasket from drain plug. Clean drain plug, drain plug hole and filter mount. Install new oil filter. Install clean drain plug with new copper gasket. Fill with oil replace oil cap and dipstick. Done.

I wouldnt use lucas oil no real need for this product. Just buy quality oil (Castrol, Mobil 1, Royal Purple for example) and change it at regular intervals.
What he said. 5w-30 group III oil or group IV full synthetic at the least! I would suggest castrol syntec 0w-30 EUROPEAN FORMULA(Also known as German Castrol). Which is a group IV synthetic. make sure It is not the one made in USA. The Syntec 0w-30 made in U.S. Is a group III Hydrockracked conventional oil.

But yes, any oils that fit what I just said, and what the quote said, will do.
Old 08-25-09, 08:27 AM
terrylin
Driver

just for kicks i purchased lucas oil ($4.99 @ Autozone yesterday) to run an mpg test. gassed up yesterday and i got 23 mpg without the air and without a lead foot. i'll put in lucas oil and drive the same way and see if it results any better.
Old 08-26-09, 02:41 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

hey Lucas may not make a difference its just not potent enough. if you want something that makes a difference, use Techron Fuel Injection Cleaner. its the only thing that keeps my SC from misfiring from dirty fuel injectors until i replace them. nothing cheaper works but that stuff.
Old 09-13-09, 11:29 PM
terrylin
Driver

Originally Posted by terrylin
just for kicks i purchased lucas oil ($4.99 @ Autozone yesterday) to run an mpg test. gassed up yesterday and i got 23 mpg without the air and without a lead foot. i'll put in lucas oil and drive the same way and see if it results any better.
just a quick update. a buddy helped me use seafoam, and i'm now averaging 25.5 mpg with air on (hot here in socal), riding no more than 80mph! didnt think my 95 sc300 could get this output! everything stock! oh yea, before the seafoam i used lucas oil to test out my mpg...made absolutely no difference. don't think i'll be pouring that sucker into my car anymore.

Last edited by terrylin; 09-13-09 at 11:33 PM.