Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mobil 1 - How often?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 01:26 PM
surfsunset
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 - How often?

I know our SC300 owners manual says - 5K between oil changes.

I just switched to Mobil 1 for the first time - it's been over a year since it was done, but still only has 4,300 miles on it.

My question is - how often shall I change the oil or at how many miles? 5K, 7K, 10K.

I would like to hear from the SC community.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-09, 01:59 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually use Royal Purple, but its pretty much the same thing. I usually go 4-5k between changes.
Old 08-18-09, 04:11 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I used Lubro Moly synthetic, which was great oil, but I recently switched to Royal Purple 10W40 and like it a bit better since I was using Lubro's 5W40. Typically I change it every 3,000-3,500 miles. Honestly, you can go 4-5K without having to worry much, but when you have OCD like myself, you NEED to do it every 3,000ish You definitely do NOT want to go a year on the same oil because it will break down and lost the protection you need. Change it every 2-4 months.
Old 08-18-09, 04:13 PM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's up to you, the more often you change, the longer your engine lasts
Old 08-18-09, 04:22 PM
jfb92sc300
Driver School Candidate

I'm "old school" change the oil every 3,000. Oil changes are cheap insurance
for engine longevity. I would NOT use the Mobile 1, Royal Purple is very good and German Castrol-5W 30 is the best I believe.
Old 08-18-09, 04:29 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jfb92sc300
I would NOT use the Mobile 1, Royal Purple is very good and German Castrol-5W 30 is the best I believe.
id like to hear your reasoning on this.
Old 08-18-09, 04:33 PM
tcrow31
Pole Position

Mobile 1 Full Synthetic and Royal Purple Synthetic are totally different. Mobile 1 Synthetic is actually conventional three oil and not real synthetic like it used to be. There was a lawsuit between Mobile and Castrol a while back when Castrol started calling conventional three oil synthetic. Mobile lost the lawsuit and decided themselves to jump on the bandwagon of calling conventional three oil synthetic since it is much cheaper to produce and they can still sell it for the same high price.

Companies like Royal Purple and Amsol are two companies that is still true synthetic. There are a few others that still are true synthetic. So if you are using Mobile 1 and similar companies then you should change every 3k miles. Using Royal Purple you can go longer like 4k plus. But with our older motors it is just best to stick with the 3k rule.
Old 08-18-09, 04:35 PM
Wheel_Man
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lately, I've been using Valvoline FullSyn every 3-4k with no problems.
Old 08-18-09, 04:43 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by QwkSC
It's up to you, the more often you change, the longer your engine lasts
Not necessarily true. The synthetic grp IV-V oils now a days have a very good base oil which will last quite a while and resist high temperature breakdown.

Even the super hydrocracked grp III oils like mobile 1 do a very good job in protecting the engine from wear.

In fact, these oils have certain addatives which actually increase the protection as your oil is used.

Think about when the manual was written. In a day and age where full synthetic was not a common place and the majority used conventional dino oil. In the case of dino oil. Yes every six months and three thousand miles is a good thing to do since these oils break down very quickly in comparison. (i.e. do not hold multigrade viscosity often breaking down to base oil viscosity such as 10w-30 turning to straight 30w or straight 10w oil)

They didnt take into account that a decade or so later the oils we are using now are vastly imporoved.

OP I would do a regular 5k change interval and just keep it at that. If you wan't more out of your oil, I suggest oil analysis to tell the condition of your oil. THen change the filter at around 5k and, if your oil is healthy, keep goin for another 3.5- k miles or so till more analysis is done.

Also to the poster above me. German Castrol is 0w-30 full synthetic. It is found to be an excellent oil in many respects.
Old 08-18-09, 04:47 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tcrow31
Mobile 1 Full Synthetic and Royal Purple Synthetic are totally different. Mobile 1 Synthetic is actually conventional three oil and not real synthetic like it used to be. There was a lawsuit between Mobile and Castrol a while back when Castrol started calling conventional three oil synthetic. Mobile lost the lawsuit and decided themselves to jump on the bandwagon of calling conventional three oil synthetic since it is much cheaper to produce and they can still sell it for the same high price.

Companies like Royal Purple and Amsol are two companies that is still true synthetic. There are a few others that still are true synthetic. So if you are using Mobile 1 and similar companies then you should change every 3k miles. Using Royal Purple you can go longer like 4k plus. But with our older motors it is just best to stick with the 3k rule.
Yes, Mobile 1 is a hydrockracked grp III and not a full synthetic as advertised in the US. It is still an excellent oil (coming close to full synthetics) but is greatly superior to conventional grp II dino oils due to the excellent addative packs.

Originally Posted by tularisgp
There is no "real" reason not to get mobile 1 except for their marketing claims saying that they are full synthetic. For that price you can get a real true synthetic in the form of german castrol.

Last edited by lemmiewink; 08-18-09 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-18-09, 04:59 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tularisgp

Same here..I use Mobile 1 Synthetic and I change my oil every 2 months no matter what, but thats just me
Old 08-18-09, 05:12 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by One_jZ_SC3
Same here..I use Mobile 1 Synthetic and I change my oil every 2 months no matter what, but thats just me
Well, other facts, and opinions about why you wouldn't do what you're doing is on the other posts in this thread.

Whether you believe them is up to you mate.

Last edited by lemmiewink; 08-18-09 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-18-09, 05:14 PM
sc5sdanny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

3k or less
Old 08-18-09, 05:30 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

every 3k regardless of type of oil
Old 08-18-09, 05:42 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobile 1 and other mainstream synthetic brands are like $21 for a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart.

It is definitely cheaper than smaller brands like Royal Purple and Amsoil

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 - How often?