Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jzgte single turbo for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 01:21 PM
HardHitter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jzgte single turbo for daily driver?

I had a 2005 Header and cam GTO pushing 423 to the wheels. You think I would have liked that, but I don't know, there is something about turbo cars (even if it's less power) that make me just so happy. Maybe it's the sound of the turbo spooling or just the "oh *****, we hit full boost" moment as it's pulling.

My plan is to have a daily driver that I can also have fun with (basically, something comfortable to drive, decent mpg, decent maintenance yet have the power to do some fun WOT runs)

I was pretty set on finding a Stage 3 S4. I test drove one and it was a blast to drive. Full boost hitting at around 3k and pulling all the way. Recently I found a 1jzgte SC300. The car has an upgraded Precision PT67-76 Turbo
Custom Turbo Manifold with a Tial 38mm external wastegate andHKS 264 Exhaust and Intake Cams saying it is dyno'ing arund 480rwhp.

I went to see the car today and test drove it. Sadly, the needles were not working so I could not tell where boost was hitting full boost as well as where to shift, so I never got on the car but I was wondering how much lag there is with the turbo. It seemed once I hit the pedal in 2nd gear, it would build...build...build and then hit boost and I'd get off the gas right away due to not knowing how fast the RPM's would raise or knowing where in the RPM range I was.

My question is, how would a car like this fit my wants/needs?
Old 07-30-09, 08:43 PM
HardHitter
Driver School Candidate

Bump for some answers
Old 07-30-09, 09:31 PM
omidg89
Pole Position

i drive a 2jz so i will leave that for someone who daily drives a 1jz...but 480 to the wheels daily driving seems like a lot of trouble to me!
Old 07-30-09, 09:35 PM
HardHitter
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your input

I've had to deal with the "smog" on my 94 RX7 (catless and all bolt ons for stock twins) and my 2005 GTO (long tube headers, catless exhaust, large cam) and luckily I've never been bothered by cops, but when it came to me wanting to sell the cars, I had to find others who were willing to take on the smog or I'd have to shell out to get "smogged"

Again, the SC300 isn't going to be my "power king" just a daily driver and fun to have the power when it's there if I find something I wanna play with. I will be buying another RX7 and doing a single turbo conversion on that so I'll have to daily with smog for that too. Some of the guys are saying to swap the turbo for something that'll build boost a little faster and give me a better power band. Is it simple to do this when the supporting mods for a larger turbo is already on the car? What are the associated costs for swapping for a new turbo?

I have 425rwhp on my GTO and I was going to slap on twins. Most APS twin turbo GTO's are running around 550-575 to the wheels. The GTO was my daily driver.
Old 07-31-09, 09:15 AM
omidg89
Pole Position

what tranny and rear end are on the sc?
Old 07-31-09, 12:16 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily a 1jz single with the t67. It really isn't bad around town.

Then again, it's also an automatic.

I say go for it. It doesn't get good gas mileage (less than 18 mpg) but it still is a nice car to get around it. Needles aren't hard to fix at all and maintenance is pretty minimal
Old 07-31-09, 02:50 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Question since you're in Cali... How the hell would you ever get through SMOG with a 1jz engine, let alone a single turbo one?
Old 08-01-09, 11:05 AM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

I have a Manual 1JZGTE with a greddy T78 kit on it in california. The car drives wonderful out of boost. I get near 30MPG... But when boost hits and my 800cc injectors kick in the gas needle drops like theres a hole in the tank
I think a T67-76 would be a perfect turbo for the car. But if not I am sure you can sell it for enough to get the right size turbo.

Also check the air/fuel on the car cuz when boosting with that turbo if its not tuned correctly it will pop soon. It would be best to get it on a dyno to make sure the tune is perfect.

I love my 1jz T78... It lags alot but when your on boost(aroung 5000+rpm) its amazing.
I dont care at all about the turbo lag because I DONT EVER RACE ANYONE...
In california its is alot easier to get away with driving a race car at speed limit or below but when you risk racing with anyone the cops can take and keep your ride and maybe even jailtime...
You can PM me if you have any questions.
Old 08-01-09, 09:21 PM
Marti
Driver School Candidate

whether a setup is good for daily driver is completely up to you. Taking the time to chose the right setup is key! There are A MILLION options out there. Needless to say if you get a GT42 that requires serious fuel, tuning and more it will be a bit more of a pain in the ***. If you pick a turbo to fit your real needs and not one to look cool next to the "other" guys, you will find that the car is a lot fun. I love 61-67mm turbochargers on the 2.5 or 3.0. A nicely prepped 62mm will make for a very fun car. Not too much lag, great torque and tons of fun on the street.

I'm putting together a 6265 with my new setup and I expect it to be very fun and streetable.