Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My 93 SC400 1UZ-FE + R154 Swap ::PIX::

Old 07-30-09, 03:30 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRFTSC400
Oh ok... well what do you need? here's my parts list.

Turbo MK3 R154 Transmission
Howe Racing Hydraulic Throwout Bearing
Howe Racing SS Lines for Hydraulic Throwout Bearing
Driftmotion 5 spd Clutch pedal and brake pedal kit from. (all parts are OEM from Toyota)
Driftmotion Clutch Master Cylinder
Driftmotion Shifter Boot Assembly from Lexus
Driftmotion VSS Sensor from Marlin Crawler (on backorder)
MR2 Turbo Flywheel
MR2 Turbo 6 puck Clutch Kit, 1900lb Pressure Plate from F&S Clutch Performance.
Adaptor plate (is being made currently at the machine shop. I purchased the drawing for it on Ebay. Lets see how it comes out.)
Don't forget the driveshaft:

MK3 R154 front section + SC center carrier bearing + 92/93 SC300 Rear section

The SC4 stock driveshaft neither mates to the R154 nor is of the appropriate length. However, the combination outlined above will get the drivetrain extended from the transmission to the differential without needing any fabricated parts. A driveshaft balance at a local drivetrain shop would be all that is required in addition to the parts themselves (since the driveshafts are coming from two different vehicles and will need to revolve without vibration).
Old 07-30-09, 03:40 PM
DRFTSC400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Don't forget the driveshaft:

MK3 R154 front section + SC center carrier bearing + 92/93 SC300 Rear section

The SC4 stock driveshaft neither mates to the R154 nor is of the appropriate length. However, the combination outlined above will get the drivetrain extended from the transmission to the differential without needing any fabricated parts. A driveshaft balance at a local drivetrain shop would be all that is required in addition to the parts themselves (since the driveshafts are coming from two different vehicles and will need to revolve without vibration).
Lol I forgot about that haha... I'm going to the junk yard this weekend to see if i find the mk3 front part of the driveshaft. As for the rear section... I thought you could use the sc400 stock auto one? what's the SC carrier Bearing?
Old 07-30-09, 03:46 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Yeah I know damn sensor lol. Aaron from Driftmotion called me and told me he'll refund me back the money or if I want to wait. I said i'll wait cause I really need that sensor. Yes i can but i have everything at home. I'm at work right now so i'll do it later on tonight. you need the whole kit or what do you need?
Just concerned about DM's prices vs. ordering direct from dealer. He obviously makes money on these parts. I saved quite a few bucks ordering from Elmhurst/Champion/Carson when doing my R154 swap.

BTW, I talked to MC about the VSS. They told me that you need to get on a waiting list and they will call you when VSSs become available. It has nothing to do with if/when you order. So call them up and get your name on the list.
Old 07-30-09, 03:57 PM
DRFTSC400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shern
Just concerned about DM's prices vs. ordering direct from dealer. He obviously makes money on these parts. I saved quite a few bucks ordering from Elmhurst/Champion/Carson when doing my R154 swap.

BTW, I talked to MC about the VSS. They told me that you need to get on a waiting list and they will call you when VSSs become available. It has nothing to do with if/when you order. So call them up and get your name on the list.
Oh well Aaron did that for me. And well yeah you're right about the prices. I didn't think about that one. Maybe I should have researched this before I purchased the parts. too late now lol. Hey you used the mk3 driveshaft and sc300 rear section driveshaft? would the auto sc300 rear shaft work?
Old 07-30-09, 06:53 PM
OMD
Pole Position

Oh ok... well what do you need? here's my parts list.

Turbo MK3 R154 Transmission
Howe Racing Hydraulic Throwout Bearing
Howe Racing SS Lines for Hydraulic Throwout Bearing
Driftmotion 5 spd Clutch pedal and brake pedal kit from. (all parts are OEM from Toyota)
Driftmotion Clutch Master Cylinder
Driftmotion Shifter Boot Assembly from Lexus
Driftmotion VSS Sensor from Marlin Crawler (on backorder)
MR2 Turbo Flywheel
MR2 Turbo 6 puck Clutch Kit, 1900lb Pressure Plate from F&S Clutch Performance.
Adaptor plate (is being made currently at the machine shop. I purchased the drawing for it on Ebay. Lets see how it comes out.)
damn,all i have now is the r154 transmission from the 1jz soarer.. still a long way to go.. and i'm broke right now..

Last edited by OMD; 08-01-09 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 08:29 PM
DRFTSC400
Pole Position

Lol oh well you'll get there man. Just be patient... it all pays off in the end.
Old 07-31-09, 08:13 AM
DRFTSC400
Pole Position

So today I'm going down to the machine shop. Hopefully they're ready to run my adaptor plate. And I also gotta see about the shifter extension.
Old 07-31-09, 11:23 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

keep it comming sergio!

gonna boost the UZ anytime?
Old 08-01-09, 09:24 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I have a few questions, if you were going to go w58, wouldn't that mean that you'd be able to use a 5-speed sc300 drive shaft? Same with the R154, if you were to use a soarer r154, wouldn't you be able to use that drive shaft?

Also I've never really understood how the hydro throw out bear works....
Old 08-01-09, 09:17 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dorikaze
keep it comming sergio!

I'll vote for it.
Old 08-02-09, 06:51 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
I have a few questions, if you were going to go w58, wouldn't that mean that you'd be able to use a 5-speed sc300 drive shaft? Same with the R154, if you were to use a soarer r154, wouldn't you be able to use that drive shaft?

Yes on the driveshaft part.

The Howe bearing is a slave/TO bearing 1 in unit - popular on many American cars (some T56's, Rangers, etc). Its a diaphragm that expands when you fill it with fluid.
Old 08-02-09, 07:49 AM
DRFTSC400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dorikaze
keep it comming sergio!

hell yeah dude I plan on boosting but first I want to do this 5spd swap. After all this is done I'll start saving up for a twin turbo kit. I already have the intercooler so that's a start lol.

Originally Posted by ihiryu

I thank Matt for the quick explanation on the Hydraulic Throwout Bearing. About the driveshaft... I need an MK3 Turbo Driveshaft because that's transmission I have. Its off a 90 MK3 Turbo. So i need the front part of the driveshaft and the rear side of an sc300. I don't know if I can use the rear side of my sc400 driveshaft. does anyone know?

Last edited by DRFTSC400; 08-02-09 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-02-09, 08:17 AM
DRFTSC400
Pole Position

Hey Stevechumo what kind of turbo kit are you running? Where in Cali do you stay? Well onto the next... The adaptor plate will be ran next weekend and the shifter extension will be done as well. the only parts i'm really waiting for are
Adaptor Plate
Shifter Extension
Drive Shaft
VSS Sensor from Marlin Crawler
Oh yea I forgot does anyone know what size drill bits to use to make the holes for the Clutch Master Cylinder?
Old 08-04-09, 02:55 PM
DRFTSC400
Pole Position

Ok so I got news... Aaron over at Driftmotion contacted me today and told me my VSS sensor has been shipped. So i'll have that soon. Also got news from the machine shop that my adapter plate and shifter extension will be done this weekend. So SHERN you should have your sensor pretty soon too i'm guessing. All in all I should have my car done by the end of this month.
Old 08-04-09, 02:59 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Ok so I got news... Aaron over at Driftmotion contacted me today and told me my VSS sensor has been shipped. So i'll have that soon. Also got news from the machine shop that my adapter plate and shifter extension will be done this weekend. So SHERN you should have your sensor pretty soon too i'm guessing. All in all I should have my car done by the end of this month.
Yep, order placed with MC today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 93 SC400 1UZ-FE + R154 Swap ::PIX::