Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can you use non-turbo parts on the sc300 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 08:55 PM
gully06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you use non-turbo parts on the sc300 engine

My question is on performance parts for a 1993 sc300. I would think that you would be able to use performance parts from a same year non-turbo supra considering it is the same engine. Just wanted to make sure before i started swapping out parts and things go wrong if in fact you can not do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Last edited by gully06; 07-26-09 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 09:50 PM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

Yes they are the same engine.

Not sure if the headers would be the same or not tho, but they make headers for our cars.

But not much power can be made on a N/A 2jz. (for the price)
Old 07-27-09, 04:33 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

they may have the same engine code 1j 2j 1u 2u 3u etc.

individual parts are different

the tt has oil squirters for the crank and piston
the tt pistons and rods are different etc
turbo water and oil return lines
heads are totally different (ports, cams, valves, springs etc.)

lots of other little things
Old 07-27-09, 10:27 AM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

He said the supra N/A motor. Not the TT
Old 07-27-09, 02:32 PM
nghty89
Driver School Candidate

The 2jzge and 2jzgte are very similar. The crank, block, and rods are the same. The pistons are not, but all internals are good for around 700hp TESTED. Wouldn't push them beyond it, but they can do it. Make sure you go with ARP studs for the head though... and a couple of other things.

The gte has oil squirters and a 12 point distributor system (iirc), where-as the 2jzge does not. The heads are completely different, but both hold up well with boost. For more info on the differences check www.clubna-t.com. I am running a 2jzna-t setup on my supra as well. Will have video of her running here as soon as I get my motor back from the shop.

Doesn't matter which motor he asked about, he should know what he has in there and the similarities for further upgrades He could always go NA-t instead of spending $$$ to make it powerful on all-motor He should be safe with 6-8psi on the stock motor, just retorque the stock head bolts, tune it right, and use a small-ish turbo and he'll have plenty for a DD that is fun and reliable. If it's not VVTI, he can pick up a set of MKiii 7mgte 440 injectors and swap them right in. They fit like a charm. Just TUNE IT RIGHT.

The decision is not up to me though And it all depends on what condition his motor is in and what he can spend on it.
Old 07-27-09, 04:15 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

^^
Originally Posted by DRFT103
He said the supra N/A motor. Not the TT

NA supras and sc300 engines are the same damn thing and interchangable. no need for a GTE vs. GE write up.

I only buy NA MKIV parts on my sc300 since lexus parts have lexus tax
Old 07-28-09, 09:53 PM
TumblerZ30
Driver

Originally Posted by nghty89
The 2jzge and 2jzgte are very similar. The crank, block, and rods are the same. The pistons are not, but all internals are good for around 700hp TESTED. Wouldn't push them beyond it, but they can do it. Make sure you go with ARP studs for the head though... and a couple of other things.

The gte has oil squirters and a 12 point distributor system (iirc), where-as the 2jzge does not. The heads are completely different, but both hold up well with boost. For more info on the differences check www.clubna-t.com. I am running a 2jzna-t setup on my supra as well. Will have video of her running here as soon as I get my motor back from the shop.

Doesn't matter which motor he asked about, he should know what he has in there and the similarities for further upgrades He could always go NA-t instead of spending $$$ to make it powerful on all-motor He should be safe with 6-8psi on the stock motor, just retorque the stock head bolts, tune it right, and use a small-ish turbo and he'll have plenty for a DD that is fun and reliable. If it's not VVTI, he can pick up a set of MKiii 7mgte 440 injectors and swap them right in. They fit like a charm. Just TUNE IT RIGHT.

The decision is not up to me though And it all depends on what condition his motor is in and what he can spend on it.
What is a "small-ish" turbo? What size turbo are you referring to? I've yet to begin my NA-T project therefore I have not done much research up to this point. But, 6-8 psi seems low for the efficiency range of most single turbos applicable for the 2j. I'm not saying you cannot do it, but in order for your motor to run as efficiently and safe as possible you need to research compressor maps to make sure the turbo you run/the amount of boost you run with that particular turbo is correct. Efficiency is paramount because the further you a stray from a turbos efficiency range, the hotter boost temperatures become which result in an unhealthy motor. Additionally, you need to consider a thicker head gasket to offset the higher compression pistons in the GE. In which case, would allow you to increase boost and be within the efficiency range of most single turbos I know recommended for the 2j. On a side note, proper tunning is equally important to a proper set up, so I agree with you 100% there. My efforts in the post are just to provide gully with the most acurate information as possible. If you know you are correct about singles running 6-8 psi on a 2j application, please give me info (size, compressor map) on this turbo for my own NA-T project I will be starting soon.

Last edited by TumblerZ30; 07-28-09 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts
Old 07-29-09, 01:53 PM
nghty89
Driver School Candidate

Well, I do have a copy of Maximum Boost as well as all of the 1jz and 2jz TSRM's, so I know exactly what you are saying, and I know how to map compressor charts too lol As for small-ish, by this concept I mean something around the size of a 57-60 trim. Wouldn't take long to spool, nor would he need to run very much to have fun. Keep in mind, I have not done these compressor maps, so I have no idea which turbo specifically, these are examples only. If you would like, I can look up some sizes and recommend them to you and show you via compressor mapping how they would fit your car, but the turbo type depends on the manifold type (t3/t4, etc). But enough thread-jacking : )

A turbo does not have to be huge, just efficient enough to do what the owner wants it to do. Smaller turbo (yet within efficiency for this motor) = faster spool, wont be running higher than 8-12 psi daily. Larger turbo = Monster boost, Monster fun. Plain and simple lol Of course, every subject has many facets to it, its not as easy as saying 'Oh I want this turbo! I want to go fast!' *install follows*