Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Catch can install for everyone

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 12:24 PM
BoostLogic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch can install for everyone

I have looked all over CL for a good write up on how to install a catch can. I gathered some great info, and moved forward to my set up. I used a sealed IN OUT flow OBX-R oil catch can. Some high heat clear hose 5' an L junction and a few zip ties. Lows had the hose and junction just as your local auto shop may as well.

Now this is a mock up of how it's going to be minus the metal heat shield channels the hose will lay in. I will move to a higher heat hose for fear that this hose being an eighth of an inch thick seems to get just a little to soft at daily driving conditions and at high boost levels.

The set up works perfectly and if done this way your idle will stay with in limits, with no fluctuation. I'm sure many of you have some awsome ways of making things look clean and smooth, but mind you once more this is an example. My reason was clearly for reduction of build up and gunk into my intake.

Crank pressure is routed perfectly in conjunction with vacuum to the catch can. I hope that this will help all who wish to install one.

Last edited by BoostLogic; 07-23-09 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-24-09, 07:49 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

nice, and clean..
I'm looking around for a catch can myself..
what injectors are you running??
And what size turbo is that??
Old 07-24-09, 12:38 PM
BoostLogic
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bkjasonp
nice, and clean..
I'm looking around for a catch can myself..
what injectors are you running??
And what size turbo is that??
Precision T60 I was running 440cc Now I have Precision 84lb or 840cc now. Boost is at 26psi.Thanks I hope the thread helps.
Old 07-24-09, 01:00 PM
BoostLogic
Rookie

Here is the finished product. I whent with a tougher hose, more for fuel use than air. But it does the trick. I routed it better and I think it looks cleaner. I found that the vacuum from the intake and pcv were implodeing the clear hose.

Old 07-24-09, 01:13 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

nice work man. one question though, how come you didnt route the valve with the filter on it, into the catch can also? and where is the hose thats going to the intake routed to?
Old 07-24-09, 08:13 PM
BoostLogic
Rookie

Originally Posted by tularisgp
nice work man. one question though, how come you didnt route the valve with the filter on it, into the catch can also? and where is the hose thats going to the intake routed to?
The filter side really is more of a fume releif. The part that pulls by vacuum is on the pcv side. I could have ran them in conjunction with each other but the plan would have been pointless. Although it may look cleaner with them ran together,I just wanted to keep the crank pressure down and cleaner air return for my intake.
The intake hose is routed on the right side between the fuel rail and intake.Then runs up to the tube that normaly connects to the pcv. Its hard to see but I'll get another pic in for you.
I have to say that the first set up I did I connected both pcv and breather together. My idle rose to 2k and stayed there. As soon as I changed it to the current set up my idle was at 1k-1100.

One more thing, check out the pic with the clear hose. You can clearly see where those bad boys are running. If that helps..