Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel additives or oil additives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-02, 06:53 AM
akmpres
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel additives or oil additives?

Fuel additives or oil additives?

can anybody recommend some!

i bought slick 50 gas treatment, but after reading the comments on this forum ive decied to return it back to the store,

I have a 92 sc400 91000 miles runs brand new, fully dealer serviced, i just wanted to know if there was anything that i could add to keep the engine clean and running strong, if not make it run better!

What is the best oil to use when changing, i bought the toyota filter, and stuff like that, but i think ill just take it to the dealer, i dont feel like going through the hassle of taking off that gaurd that they have on the bottom, let the dealer take care of it!

ill just give him the parts to use!
what do you guys reccomend

thanks!
Old 04-07-02, 10:51 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your money and forego the infomercial add-ons. Use Mobil1 synthetic for everything, though they don't make a formulation for the SC4 automatic, so use only Toyota Type T-IV, and clean the metal mesh filter and re-install. For the rear axle, M1 synthetic 75W90, for the engine, depends on your climate, I use M1 5W30 Tri-synthetic, and the M1-102 hi-efficiency oil filter. Use only Dex-Cool type long-life coolant, and Lexus/Toyota parts for things like the plug wires, caps, rotors, PCV, fuel filter, etc. Air filter, Lexus or K&N replacement. When I first purchase a vehicle (used), I do a motor flush on the first oil change. For plugs, oe is Denso Platinum, which are great, otherwise you can upgrade to the Denso Iridium, which I use. Make sure there's no soot on the throttle body bores or butterflies (they make an aerosol cleaner for this), change your thermostat and o-ring if you feel like being cautious, and clean your injectors, if the car runs like new, just throw in a bottle of Techron every couple months, if it's not totally crisp, find a place with the 3M kit, and have your injectors pressure-cleaned. Timing is not adjustable on the SC4, so you won't have to sweat that. If your pwr steering fluid and your fan fluid is fresh and filled, and your brake fluid is fresh, filled, and free of moisture, then you're all set. Looking for bolt-on performance? Consider an ECU, a torque converter, custom exhaust front section, cold air intake, or a small shot of N2O.
- Jon
Attached Thumbnails Fuel additives or oil additives?-compressed-01-25-02-service.jpg  
Old 04-07-02, 12:11 PM
akmpres
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thanks alot for the advice, where is this mesh that you are refering to? is that when you have to change the tranny fluid? And what do i use to do a motor flush? I live in new york city, but i dont really drive much in the city, maybe 50 miles a week in the city but then on weekends i go places, sometimes floirda, up to vermont, lots of miles added there. I have sat in other sc400's and they all have a rough shift to them, are they all like that? or do they need to have fluid replaced? Does the dealer do that (motor flush)?
For gas i use sonoco 94 is that an ok gas? I had a Caddy Seville STS before this car, and the engine blew up at 132K miles, i used to put all that infomershal crap in it. Luckly now there are more SC enthuseasts than there were STS ! I wont let this one go on me!

thanks again!