Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGE Redline

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-02, 04:34 AM
JKAG
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2JZGE Redline

I was over at supraforums.com and they said their redline is 6800 with the rev limiter kicking in at 7200. My redline is 6500 and the limiter kicks in right about there.

Don't they have the same engine as we do in an SC300?

Can we safely boost where the rev limiter kicks in to 7000 -7200?If so, how?

Jon
Old 04-07-02, 10:57 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

You don't wanna bump the limiter on any kind of heavy boost, there's a fuel kickback, that's why all the Supra guys with N2O run a window switch. The G-force ECU raises the rev limit, you should also be using some manner of fuel cut defenser when playing around in that neighborhood.
- Jon also
Old 04-07-02, 04:37 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you lost me on that one lex.....i had a g-force and reved the car to 7000-7500 all the time...above that the stock cams run out of air....with modified cams you can take it to 8 k or so safely...just not all the time....nitrous if fine up top just dont over rev...i know very few supras with window nitrous switches.......but mabye thats an NY thing and there is no fuel cut needed on the sc300 ecu because theres no fuel cut since there not factory turboed....so no FCD or BCC is needed.....Jeff
Old 04-07-02, 05:06 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

OK, i'll clarify. Since he said he was over at Supra forums, I was referring to a Supra ECU, which does have a fuel cut at the limiter, so you would need a FCD or BCC or otherwise if you're playing around near what the factory feels is the limit. Jeff, you proved my point on the second thing, I recommended a G-Force ECU if he wanted to take a Supra past the factory rev limit, you say you've been to 7000-7500rpm repeatedly with the G-Force unit, so that backs me up. By the way, i'm surprised the stock cams are good to 7500rpm, and are doing that on a bone stock valvetrain? Maybe the window switches in Supras is a NY thing, but if you hit the fuel cut on spray (assuming factory Supra ECU here), bulletproof or not, gonna melt a piston more than likely. You're right though, I wasn't specific, no fuel cut on an SC3, just more compression!
Old 04-07-02, 05:55 PM
JKAG
Driver

Default Readline

I can see that I was imprecise.

When I said boost I meant to RAISE the rev limit. My error

Unfortunately when GForce did my chip all they did was the timing. Not the fuel, not the rev limiter. Got me a measley 3-4 rwhp.

On the plus side it sounds like you are both saying the engine can take 7000 rpm.

When I get my turbo (hopeflly this summer) I think (from other posts) I need to get the chip redone to reset the timing. If that is the case I will also get the rev limit raised to 7000.

Thanks for the information

Jon
Old 04-07-02, 08:23 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

As Jeff said the only real way to get good performance up to (6500+) is to get some cams that allow the engine to breathe better. Unfortunately no one makes GE cams.

Porting, Polishing and opening up the intake and exhaust tract may be enough to realize some upper rpm gains on the N/A engine. If you're turbo, you can just add boost up top to keep the power coming (like I did).

The only other thing that needs to be done are upgrading the valve springs. Upgraded (Ferrea or Crower) valve springs will keep the valves from floating at 8000+rpm.
Old 04-07-02, 09:03 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Stock retainers?
Old 04-08-02, 05:24 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

stock valve train will handle 7500 just fine...assuming the motor is in good shape and good oil is used......
lex- i see your point on window switches...i just did the right thing and removed the rev limiter....

sc300t you can use supra cams if you goto haltech and remove the distributor

jkag-what turbo kit are you getting?.....toyomoto can do the kit and the g-force for you....i had his g-force program in my turboed sc for 2 years but now im going to haltech.... if you have more questions feel free to ask...Jeff
Old 04-08-02, 05:48 AM
JKAG
Driver

Default 2JZGE Redline

I'm thinking of a toyomoto kit installed at Sound Performance with an SP57 turbo and FMIC. I'm optimizing for fast spool-up and reliability not max HP.

I just sent toyomoto an e-mail to figue out what everything will cost with my biggest questions revolving around the fact that my car is OBD II.

G-force basically gave up on my ECU and said that they could not remap my fuel. They blamed this on the fact that it is OBDII.

Jon
Old 04-08-02, 06:16 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

yeah OBDII is a pain in the ***...exact reason i bought a 95 sc300...but since im going haltech it really dosent matter...toyomoto will work with you ..and SP...SP is a great shop and im sure they will take care of the install for ya.....you might think of a swap to an OBDI ECU....or a stand alone to get rid of the OBDII
Jeff