Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

help/engine tapping

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 11:48 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help/engine tapping

Frustrated sc owner.i had this car for 1yr 8months,in that time i put maybe 10k on it.it's a 97 sc 300 auto.i rarely drive the car.it have 130k on it.to keep this short.i had the car serviced a month or so ago.i had the plugs,wires,timingbelt,timing belt tensioner,waterpump,serpentine belt,crank damper(underdrive pulley)thermostat,watertemp sensor,radiator hoses,antifreeze,valve cover gasket,cam seals ,front seals,and water pump powerstering and one other accessory pulley and switched over to a electric fan.now it took awhile for the shop to get this done because i was not in a rush to get the car because i'm out of town during the week.also i had the powersteering flushed.and i change the oil every 3k since i had it and changed the transmission fluid.anyway after i got the car back i took it back a few times because the valve cover gasket was leaking and the serpentine belt was shredding.those problems was corrected.their was a few issues before i got the car one was they had a problem getting the water pump to seal(claimed the wrong gasket was sent with pump)the other was the oem fan was hitting the underdrive pulley(thats why a electric fan was put in.i drove the car a total of 5hrs after i got it from shop.i drove 2hrs to an event thats when i started hearing the tapping i drove the car back home and one more time before i took it to the shop (a different shop) i was told that the engine was shot. and the knocking is coming from inside the engine after their mechanic checked it out.i thought it was coming from the cam area and maybe the shop left something loose but everything checked out the timing was on the compression was good no codes or check engine light is on the car runs fine except for the knocking i'm hearing and i never had the knocking before.the fan is a little loud maybe thats why i did not hear it in the beginning but it's getting worst and you can really hear it when you drive the car a little hard.(can't hear noise from inside car unless windows are rolled down)can the engine be really shot or can it be something else.i'm thinking about taking it to the dealership for a second opinion.after spending money to have a big tune up i really dont want to spend money to have to replace a engine.how could a car be fine and in one 4hr round trip be knocking after it just got serviced.help all opinions are needed and if i have to (where can i get a cheap 2jzge with low miles 97)thanks for the help in advance fellas and ladies.

Last edited by matrixgts; 07-26-09 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-18-09, 08:12 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Dude seriously shorten the story I am surprised my eyes are in my head after reading this. Bring it back to the shop were they fixed it and demand they find out what the issue is. You dropped all of that money and then you go somewhere else? If they broke it they are liable. If you put a good deal of miles on it then luck is not in your favor. If they won't fix it or give you some money back call the better business bureau. Make a big deal about it usually it ends up in your boat cause your the customer. If everything fails buy a motor and hope for the best.
Old 07-19-09, 04:46 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Dude seriously shorten the story I am surprised my eyes are in my head after reading this. Bring it back to the shop were they fixed it and demand they find out what the issue is. You dropped all of that money and then you go somewhere else? If they broke it they are liable. If you put a good deal of miles on it then luck is not in your favor. If they won't fix it or give you some money back call the better business bureau. Make a big deal about it usually it ends up in your boat cause your the customer. If everything fails buy a motor and hope for the best.
sorry for the long read but for me it's better to vent this way and calm down some before i do the wrong thing.the car sits during the week only one 4hr round trip was made with car.

Last edited by matrixgts; 07-19-09 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-25-09, 06:28 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

figured out and fixed problem myself
Old 07-25-09, 09:56 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by matrixgts
figured out and fixed problem myself
So what was the solution?
Old 07-26-09, 07:22 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Yeah seriously after reading that damn short story what was the issue.(short explanation though)
Old 07-26-09, 02:16 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
^^^ Yeah seriously after reading that damn short story what was the issue.(short explanation though)
just for you sho,since a paragraph is torture for you to read lol.after checking plugs and obvious stuff.i went back to the cams where i thought the knocking was coming from and also told to the mechanic that checked the car out.all i did was loosen the driver side cam bolt and retightened.no more knocking.if this place prices was better on engines i would have had them replace it.with that said i saved myself atleast 3500 and i just put in 2grand on this engine.i think they do not know what they are doing and also might have been trying to rip me off.funny thing when they brought me in to go over what was wrong with my engine their was another customer engine laying on the floor i was told that that person had to have their engine replaced also.they probably was ripping them off also.their is a big difference in retighting a cam bolt and having head and valve problems as they stated.i'm still pissed that i paid them 136 dollars for a bs evaluation.i should make a thread about this.i hear you SHOLEX i'm done talking.and thanks to rome and matt you guys kept me from pulling the trigger on a 2jzgte for no reason.

Last edited by matrixgts; 07-26-09 at 02:23 PM.