Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz Y-pipe for twins: OneJay's Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 04:50 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1jz Y-pipe for twins: OneJay's Review

Well, after going through the pains of removing the front turbo to install it, it had better be worth it. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this piece, it is this one.

It is intended for the MKIII supra w/1jz, so I didn't even try to find the attached downpipe. I got mine used off of Supraforums for cheap, so decided to give it a go.

After removing the front turbo, and trying to get the pipe to fit, I saw that I would need more clearance from the engine mount bracket, so I had to dremel about 1/8" off the rear side.

Also, as mine was used, I could see what modifications the pipe itself needed. Some of the studs from the turbos would hit the pipe, and prevent a proper seal, so a couple of the surfaces were hammered flat, but it does not look like flow was obstructed a whole lot.

I'm still waiting on a new oil return hose from Toyota as mine was so brittle, it cracked on removal, so I'll let you all know of any noticible performance/noise differences hopefully by tomorrow. I'll also post some pics of the install.
Old 07-14-09, 07:01 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a major PITA. Quick question, would you have had to remove the turbos to change out the downpipe by itself?
Old 07-14-09, 07:35 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering how hard it'd be to install that thing.

I have this boost controller to install, but getting to the rear turbo vac lines is making me real lazy just thinking about it.....
Old 07-14-09, 07:45 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanV
I was wondering how hard it'd be to install that thing.

I have this boost controller to install, but getting to the rear turbo vac lines is making me real lazy just thinking about it.....
Might as well throw a y-pipe on it while your that deep man.

One jay- I bet your going to hit the boost cut with the y-pipe, If you haven't hit it before.

Also waiting for the first post after you take it for the shake down run. I am this excited and mine don't even run yet. Damn.
Old 07-15-09, 02:26 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

You don't need to remove the turbos for a dp. There are three bolts under the stock Y pipe, so it shouldn't take more than 45 min to do a dp.

I have an AFC Neo, and I've heard that it takes care of boost cut. I haven't hit it before, so thus far I'm guessing it works. It should be done tomorrow if my oil return hose comes in, and the new DP should be made by the weekend.
Old 07-15-09, 07:18 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

im interested in seeing how it works. From my understanding everyone that i know that did y pipes their twins blew out with in the next month or 2.
Old 07-15-09, 08:13 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

mine has been on since feb of 09 and yes i hit boost cut A LOT. i dont have any electronics until recently. i purchased a boost controller and after i turned the boost to 10lbs (i know i could go more) it felt like a dream. i have the y pipe from the mkiii and had the shop custom make a down pipe that also took off the cat. at 10lbs it feels much fast than when i did not have the y-pipe.
Old 07-15-09, 08:26 AM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Biggu
im interested in seeing how it works. From my understanding everyone that i know that did y pipes their twins blew out with in the next month or 2.
Well that sucks.

Originally Posted by soardrft
mine has been on since feb of 09 and yes i hit boost cut A LOT. i dont have any electronics until recently. i purchased a boost controller and after i turned the boost to 10lbs (i know i could go more) it felt like a dream. i have the y pipe from the mkiii and had the shop custom make a down pipe that also took off the cat. at 10lbs it feels much fast than when i did not have the y-pipe.
Thats better, I have heard of people running 15lbs all day everyday but then again that might push it into what Biggu was talking about.
Old 07-15-09, 08:59 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

i hope to turn the boost up after the afc install and the dyno. always better safe than sorry.
Old 07-15-09, 12:49 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Well hopefully the twins don't fail me any time soon. Because I am NOT taking them off again any time in the near future.

Here are some pics of the install.

Had to dremel down the engine mount bracket for clearance.

Old 07-16-09, 12:49 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Took it for a short spin today. Its super loud with just the open ypipe, and I didn't give it more than 50% throttle because I need to change the oil, but it did feel pretty responsive, and I feel like the twins spooled up a lot quicker than normal.
Old 07-16-09, 12:31 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Took it around again today after I changed the oil and got on it through the first three gears. For some reason it feels slower than before, but it says it's making 14lbs of boost now (previous was 13). It may just seem that way though because I've been driving my mom's GX470 for the last few days and that thing has gobs of torque. Although it felt slower, it seemed to get up to certain speeds faster. Once I get my wideband hooked up I'll check the AFR's and see if I need to adjust the fuel or anything.

Oh and I'm leaking a bit of coolant. Need to go back and double check that something isn't loose.
Old 07-16-09, 05:21 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Thats no good man. That 470 might be messing with your head. What wideband are you going to run? I have an LC1 that I need to wire in.
Old 07-16-09, 08:28 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

LOL that looks like the y pipe i just sold on s.f.... also sold it to a guy in cali... is it you?!? same user name on s.f. nice work with the install i think its a good upgrade. i would hit fuel cut all the time till i put on an exhaust but even with that i would hit it at night when it was cooler.
Old 07-17-09, 12:16 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

No I got mine a few months ago from crameur. I just need to figure out where this coolant is leaking from and I'm all set. And I scared a woman in a Prius today too with the NOISE!!!

Quick Reply: 1jz Y-pipe for twins: OneJay's Review