Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 01:41 AM
Mashie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it possible?

so i recently just took my car to auto zone to check it because i have something been draining my battery away. and it turn out its my alternator i think still not 100 percents confirm on that one yet. when they test the alternator it was at 14.1 v and the alternator amperage was at 40 which its suppose to be at like 50-60 from my understanding. but is it possible that the alternator drain the battery life away b/c of the alternator amperage? not when its driving. it hold the charges while driving and it does not die randomly. but it does drain the battery when its sitting there in the garage. so is it possible that the alternator can drain the battery over night? any info. are much appericate it.
Old 07-11-09, 01:32 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

The alternator can definelty drain the battery overnight depending on the issue though. If the alternator ground out to the retifyer it will turn the alternator into a big magent. To see if it has that issue put something metal that is attracted to a magnet next to it and if it stays on the alt. pulley it is bad and needs replacement. That would drain the battery overnight. If one of the cells on your battery is bad that can also drain power from it real quick. Make sure there isn't corrosion on any of your charging system components including all grounds.
Old 07-12-09, 01:19 AM
Mashie
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info sholexman. i am definitely going to check on the corrosion. i know its not the battery due to i already change out 2 new battery in it and the terminal as well. i am going to check on the ground thats hook up on the alternator and etc. just to make sure as well. i was thinking about getting a test light and start pulling fuses to see which part is draining the battery. i am also going to check on the alternator rectifier as well. and thanks again as i will post the update about it as well.
Old 07-12-09, 11:29 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Another thing to add make sure you don't have lights on because of a bad switch either in the door,glovebox,trunk. If the plastic pin breaks or falls out the light will stay on and then drains the battery. Using a test light won't show you drain on the battery only if power is supplied,but go ahead if you want too. You would have to use a osciliscope (I don't know the spelling on that) and that measure drain on the battery. Also if you have any accesories plugged in IPOD,phone charger,navi that could be the other possible drain. Good luck bro....