Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jzgte-vvti

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 01:02 PM
scturbo28
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jzgte-vvti

Hello community i currently have a 1jzgte-vvti in my sc 300 but i wanted to know how to correct my speed cut ? the car won't go passed 120 and thats because of the speed cut ? someone mentioned disconnect your speedometer but i don't want to do that , also with a standalone that would correct the problem as well but aem does not make a standalone for the vvti version as of yet? Is there a device i can get that hooks up to my ecu to eliminate that problem ? for example i know greddy and hks sell fuel cut defencer but i don't think they sell speed cut defencer ? anybody who has had this problem can you please tell how to by pass it besides using a standalone or dissconnecting the speedometer, thank you very much.
Old 07-10-09, 01:21 PM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Got the same set-up but my computer is "special" so i don't have a speed cut; however, you can pick up a Speed Cut Defender from HKS and that will solve your problem. You will also want to pick up a Boost Cut Defender at the same time. They will run you about $118 each from Murray's. No matter where you go, they will need to order it as well...TRUST ME.

Where in FLA are you? We have a guy down here that did most of the installs for SC's down here.
Old 07-10-09, 10:28 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean
Got the same set-up but my computer is "special" so i don't have a speed cut; however, you can pick up a Speed Cut Defender from HKS and that will solve your problem. You will also want to pick up a Boost Cut Defender at the same time. They will run you about $118 each from Murray's. No matter where you go, they will need to order it as well...TRUST ME.

Where in FLA are you? We have a guy down here that did most of the installs for SC's down here.
He is right, but just get the Greddy Speed cut..easier to wire in and less headache than the HKS
Old 07-11-09, 09:53 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is everyone finding these VVTi 1JZ's. I live in South Florida and no one will tell me. And +1 on the Greddy. So much easier.
Old 07-11-09, 10:01 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ When i was getting my engine the Guy trying to get me to buy the vvtI ,it was even cheaper than the non VVti.
Old 07-11-09, 10:43 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by One_jZ_SC3
He is right, but just get the Greddy Speed cut..easier to wire in and less headache than the HKS
Old 07-11-09, 11:42 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by quickGS300
^ When i was getting my engine the Guy trying to get me to buy the vvtI ,it was even cheaper than the non VVti.
Really...this was a 1j VVti??
Old 07-11-09, 11:50 AM
roy1928
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TougeSC3
Where is everyone finding these VVTi 1JZ's. I live in South Florida and no one will tell me. And +1 on the Greddy. So much easier.
+2!
Old 07-11-09, 09:31 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by One_jZ_SC3
Really...this was a 1j VVti??
Yes the VVTi GTE i guess because they don't sell them like the Non VVTi
I was just kind of Scared tat why i didn't get it
BTW sorry not trying to go off topic on your Thread
Old 08-12-09, 05:42 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

LOL..it was a no-brainer for me. The STOCK 1jgte VVTi puts out the same power as the 2j VVTi. Yeah, not a lot of ppl have it...over here, but there is tons of stuff on the net about it and most parts are interchangeable with the 2j.

BTW, the Greddy one may be easier to deal with, but the HKS boost cut/fuel cut is what everyone with the JZX100 is using (unless they are running AEM). Trust me, when ppl start realizing wasssup, they'll start messing with these motors the same way they did when the K-Series motors came out for Honda.
Old 08-12-09, 05:43 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Oh, and the reason why HKS instead of Greddy is b/c of the MAF sensor...VVTi have a different sensor than the 2j's (FYI)...the Greddy is "universal" and I don't believe in "universal" parts unless its a BOV or something similar. Just my $.02
Old 08-12-09, 05:59 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean
LOL..it was a no-brainer for me. The STOCK 1jgte VVTi puts out the same power as the 2j VVTi. Yeah, not a lot of ppl have it...over here, but there is tons of stuff on the net about it and most parts are interchangeable with the 2j.

BTW, the Greddy one may be easier to deal with, but the HKS boost cut/fuel cut is what everyone with the JZX100 is using (unless they are running AEM). Trust me, when ppl start realizing wasssup, they'll start messing with these motors the same way they did when the K-Series motors came out for Honda.
I can see the potential that this motor has, which is why i want to get one for a swap during the winter. The major problem is that the VVT-i technology is still hard to work with. VTEC is very simplistic in design and function and was easy to manipulate with the right technology. VVT-i is a little more difficult to deal with, but it can be done.

Another problem is the lack of aftermarket turbocharger support. Turbo choices are plenty to come by, but the VVT-i head is designed differently and has different exhaust ports, meaning a custom manifold. A few have done it before, and i think if you could ask them, they can give you blueprints for the exhaust flange and then you can go make one yourself.

Overall aftermarket support is also a problem. I can hardly find aftermarket bolt-on parts to go with this engine. I have found parts that would bolt on to a normal 1JZ, but not the later version.

I'm not trying to badmouth this engine at all. From a beginner's standpoint it's not ideal but in the right hands this can be a kick-*** engine. Anyone that can give more info on this engine would be great!
Old 08-16-09, 09:10 PM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

JUST AN FYI, most of the 2j parts bolt up to this motor. I'm begining to find this out daily...