Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS300 HKS axle backs fit an SC?

Old 07-07-09, 06:54 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GS300 HKS axle backs fit an SC? NOPE!!!!!!!!!

My friend has his HKS axle-back mufflers for sale off of his GS300 NA-T, I was wondering if they would fit my SC by any chance, remind you this is axle-back, not cat-back. Bends look similar, and I used the search button yes. Anyone had experiance with this?

Do they fit?
NOPE!

scroll to bottom

Last edited by Spooled; 07-13-09 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-07-09, 07:53 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any good exhaust shop could make it fit. all they gotta do is mod the hanggers and the piping from your cat to the muffler
Old 07-08-09, 05:36 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RMM Axle Back system that was originally designed for the GS300/400 proved to be cross compatible with the SC300/400 -and to my knowledge the LS400 as well.

While that in no way will guarantee you fitment with the HKS system, it should give you confidence to assume that if the axle-back fits on the GS300's factory exhaust, then it should fit the SC300's factory exhaust.

Worst case scenario: you can remove a single muffler by removing two bolts (19mm, I believe) near the tailpipes and a pair of nuts (12mm, I think) where the midpipe meets the axle back to compare the two geometries up close and personal.
Old 07-08-09, 08:55 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Blizzy
The RMM Axle Back system that was originally designed for the GS300/400 proved to be cross compatible with the SC300/400 -and to my knowledge the LS400 as well.

While that in no way will guarantee you fitment with the HKS system, it should give you confidence to assume that if the axle-back fits on the GS300's factory exhaust, then it should fit the SC300's factory exhaust.

Worst case scenario: you can remove a single muffler by removing two bolts (19mm, I believe) near the tailpipes and a pair of nuts (12mm, I think) where the midpipe meets the axle back to compare the two geometries up close and personal.
Wow, I wish i had this info before. I actually started a thread a while back about putting a full GS catback onto the SC because they were so cheap. I was concerned about the length difference in the end between the chassis but the bends looked just right to me. also the spacing between the exhaust holes on the bumper.

If your friend has em laying around, do us all a favor and slap em on your SC!!
that will be some concrete eveidence at least for axle-back.
Old 07-08-09, 12:27 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

They're laying around, and I just happen to work at Toyota with a lift. lol, just lazy. I will get them here and try them on ASAP and let you guys know.

HKS axlebacks FTW
Old 07-08-09, 05:59 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Wow, I wish i had this info before. I actually started a thread a while back about putting a full GS catback onto the SC because they were so cheap. I was concerned about the length difference in the end between the chassis but the bends looked just right to me. also the spacing between the exhaust holes on the bumper.
I do not believe a cat back system made for the GS would work on the SC. From talking with the GS guys, their piping has different geometry and different pip sizing, off the cat in particular. The midpipe might be quite different as well.

The only confirmed applications that are directly cross-compatible -to my knowledge- are axle-back in nature. For that matter, I have heard of no other axle-back systems that have been used other than the RMM system...although I am rather out of the loop at the moment.
Old 07-09-09, 09:23 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Im gonna have to disagree with you there Blizzy.
There midpipe is exactly in the middle just like out cars, with the differential and rear suspension in almost the exact same positioning relative to eachother.
The catback for the gs300 I have seen online, the bends look almost exactly the same as my Zee's exhaust.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-an-sc300.html

but yeah, I dont think the full catback will work without lengthening it or shortening it in certain areas.
Old 07-12-09, 04:11 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

how did we get on the subject of cat-backs, I was asking about axle-backs specifically.

I'm gonna go into work tomorrow on my day off and put the car up in the air and find out. I'll take the camera and report back.
Old 07-13-09, 05:11 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Went into work, raised my car up, DENIED.

The angle, length, everything looks correct, expect..... the flange.

The SC flange is vertical, the GS flange is more horizontal when held up to the bottom of the car... If I had removed my stock muffler and put the GS HKS HI-Power axle-back up to my exhaust the flanges would form a "+" shape.

DOES NOT FIT.

My friend can fab it, but I noticed I need tires more than exhaust right now. new 285's here I come.

Last edited by Spooled; 07-13-09 at 10:17 PM.