Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 and 95 Sc400 engine differences

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-09, 06:26 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 97 and 95 Sc400 engine differences

We're talking about the 1uzfe here.

I'm putting a 97 engine into my 95 chassis.

My plan is to use the wiring harness and ecu off of my 95 on the 97 engine.

I have the 97 ecu, maf, and harness just in case I can't

Both engines are sitting side by side on roll around carts and I'm doing a comparision and getting a game plan together on how to handle this.

I have 3 questions:

The big difference is the fuel rails. Can I run 97 injectors and fuel rails etc with a 95 OBD-1 computer with a 95 maf without issues?

The EGR routing is different between the two. The 97 has a EGR manifold on the black of the block. Can I get by without changing this?

The coolant routing is slightly different between the two. Can I keep it the way it is and get it hooked back up with the chassis correctly without issues?
Old 07-04-09, 08:22 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a document listing the differences between the 95 and 96. For 97 (looking at a similar document) it only states that the evap diagnostics are different.

You will definately need to use your 95 MAF as the 96 and 97 MAFS are hotwire instead of Karmen Vortex.

For the EGR, you might need to swap intakes. You might be able to use the 97 intake if the EGR port on the exhaust manifold is in the same place. But, I do think that the manifolds changed at some point, just not sure when.

I wouldn't think you would have much trouble making the coolant lines work some how.

On a side note.... While looking this up for you I found out that the 96 switched to an aluminum radiator and heater core for weight reduction.

Hope this helps!

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1uzfeeng.pdf (166.7 KB, 1425 views)
Old 07-04-09, 08:24 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Thinking about the EGR, if the manifolds are different they are probably better. I would use the 97 EGR and manifolds if they line up with the rest of the 95 exhaust.

KC
Old 07-05-09, 12:33 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesn't the 96 and 97 engine have a higher compression? So I'm not sure if its safe to use your 95 ecu. It might be harder to do this than you think.
Old 07-05-09, 04:20 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc-driver
doesn't the 96 and 97 engine have a higher compression? So I'm not sure if its safe to use your 95 ecu. It might be harder to do this than you think.

Are you concerned about the 95 ecu's timing being too aggresive?

Maybe a problem but I wouldn't think so. I'm running 10-11 psi on the stock 95 ecu which I would think would be more likely to cause a problem than half a point of compression.

Also, the fuel system is controled differently. Don't know if the actual parts are much different though.

KC
Old 07-05-09, 06:03 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Thanks KC... The 97 EGR system has smaller diameter pipes and a manifold(edit, must be a cooler) on the back of the intake. I'll take pictures on monday of the differences, that should help. I can't imagine why the 97 EGR would pose problems but I wanted to ask to be sure.

The coolant hook ups look easy enough also.

The intake plenums are identical in terms of where stuff hooks up.

It's the fuel rails I'm concerned with mostly. My injectors have 192K on them, the 97 has 27K. I'd like to use the new injectors obviously. So I may swap the 95 fuel rails/pres. reg/lines/etc and use them with the 97 injectors if they're the same physical dimensions. See how it works.

Do you know for sure if they have different flow rates??... if so I won't mess with it.

Half a point of compression will make 0 difference in the grand scheme of things.

On the other hand, I have the 97 harness, ecu, maf. Would it be easier and better with SFT to go this route? Then I'm doubting if I'll have the correct diagnosic posts, etc on my 95 chassis being obd-1.

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 07-05-09 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-05-09, 11:37 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

just making sure about the compression. Well, good luck man.
Old 07-08-09, 04:41 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

How about gauges and the cluster?

Will the 95 cluster and chassis harness work with the 97 motor/harness/ecu?
Old 07-08-09, 07:52 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
How about gauges and the cluster?

Will the 95 cluster and chassis harness work with the 97 motor/harness/ecu?
Just to be clear, you want to use the 97 engine with the 95 ECU if possible correct?

I don't think the 97 ECU will work with the 95 cluster or if the connectors would even match up but I'm not at all sure.

Wouldn't it be easier just to find a 95 motor, less guess work.

KC
Old 07-09-09, 05:30 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

I was hoping that someone would know definitive answers and take out the guess work for me.

I don't even need a new engine. Mine has 197K and runs strong. It's just that I got a great deal on a 97 engine/trans with 27K miles on it. And I'm 'OVERHAULIN' my car right now, so I figured what the hell.

So far:
It looks like I'm going to have to swap the throttlebody and fuel rails from the 95 intake onto the 97 intake and I should be good to go.

I'm really tempted to pick up that Supercharger that guy in florida is selling right now too.
Old 08-07-09, 12:00 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
We're talking about the 1uzfe here.

I'm putting a 97 engine into my 95 chassis.

My plan is to use the wiring harness and ecu off of my 95 on the 97 engine.

I have the 97 ecu, maf, and harness just in case I can't

Both engines are sitting side by side on roll around carts and I'm doing a comparision and getting a game plan together on how to handle this.

I have 3 questions:

The big difference is the fuel rails. Can I run 97 injectors and fuel rails etc with a 95 OBD-1 computer with a 95 maf without issues?

The EGR routing is different between the two. The 97 has a EGR manifold on the black of the block. Can I get by without changing this?

The coolant routing is slightly different between the two. Can I keep it the way it is and get it hooked back up with the chassis correctly without issues?
So the swap is over. I'm following up to share info with anyone else who may decide to do this in the future.

The first thing to do is strip the upper plenum, fuel rails, both wiring harness (Major is the fuel injector, sensor wires, etc and Minor is engine starter, power and ground and 02 sensor wires) lower intake manifold, EGR tubes, and rear aluminum coolant crossover tank off of the 1997 engine. Leave the starter and front aluminum coolant crossover tank in place as well as the stainless tube running longitudnally across the intake galley.

You'll need an intake gasket set and I replaced the valve cover gaskets while I was at it.

The Injectors are the same but fuel rails/regs/and routing are all different due to the 97 engine being SFI instead of MPFI. It makes the most sense to change the upper plenum, fuel rails, and major wiring harness as a complete unit from the 95 and install it on the 97 engine after having swapped over the minor harness.
The starters are different and you'll need to change that whole harness as well because of the connector on the back side of the motor will not match up with major harness (see pics). Also you'll need to replace the starter selenoid connector on the 95 harness w/ the one from the 97 if your like me and don't want the hassle of changing starters.

The front coolant crossover pipe is identical, but you'll need to replace the rear coolant crossover pipe with the 95 one because the major harness from the 95 will foul with the 97 crossover. Which also means you need to swap over the egr tube from the 95 motor. I tried to get around it, but the 95 harness is designed to fit and bolt to the 95 cross over tank.

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 08-07-09 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-07-09, 12:38 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

1997 1uz engine top view

1995 1uz engine top view -Notice the large connector on the left side of the EGR tube is different than the 97 engine's connector.

1997 1uz engine rear iso view

1995 1uz engine rear view

1997 1uz engine under valve cover- only 27K miles-Looks brand new

Re-assembled 1997 w/ 1995 injection w/ custom engine mounts

That's the Avanti in the background- still a work in progess-400sbc w/m-22 4speed~ 450hp, the SC is in the back covered in plastic by the paintbooth.
Old 08-07-09, 07:02 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on a job completed!

And....I vote you go for the supercharger!

KC
Old 03-06-17, 04:11 PM
WadeNelson
Driver School Candidate

Default Zombie Thread Alert -- but valuable info for starter swap

If you'll look at the coolant bridge on the back of the motor, you'll see one routes EGR THROUGH the coolant bridge, the other bypasses.

I have no @#$ idea how you can lift that bridge to replace the gaskets if you lift it to replace the starter. It'll only come up 1/2" or so. The lower EGR hose bolts where they attach to the bridge are utterly inaccessible

I've read about guys loosening the lower egr hose from the exhaust manifold --- but half way down it's SECURED to the side of the head, see that?

If you can use the Harbor freight tool to swap the starter WITHOUT loosening the bridge you will be WAY ahead of the game.
Old 03-06-17, 05:36 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I've never seen this thread before. That EGR pipe on the '97 is absolutely nuts! I didn't realize they had changed that from the earlier setup. It really looks like they designed it to where you have to pull the engine and unbolt the EGR pipe to do anything there.

Quick Reply: 97 and 95 Sc400 engine differences