Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

car dies out

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-09, 09:32 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car dies out

what could cause a sc400 to die out after just starting it up?
so i got offered a 1994 sc400 and his asking price is $2000. heres what he said

"i gotta project 94 sc400 4 sale.. goods:vertex rep kit (brand new), HKS hypermax coilovers, HID lights, 19"rays g35 rims, clean exterior and interior, flip up dvd screen, new ecu, and couple more little things...bad:winshield cracked, electrical problem with fuel pump, one fener small kine messed up, and it needs a tire"

btw he's including a brand new fuel pump, and a replacemenet windshield for the one that is cracked. and also he said when he starts the car it just dies out and it happened a lot of times. could it be because of the fuel pump? and do you guys think this is a good buy? heres some pics of the car

lmk what you guys think.
Old 06-26-09, 09:37 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are quite a few different issues that can make a car die after starting it could be a simple fix that is somewhat cheap, but it could also be a huge issue and cost you out your nose.

I dont know your budget or your car knowledge but if both are relatively low I would tell you not to get this car.

How many miles does it have?

Just that body damage alone is going to cost you a pretty penny to get fixed, not to mention electrical problems are a PIA to figure out. After looking at the pictures and reading it again I would not touch that car
Old 06-26-09, 09:40 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
There are quite a few different issues that can make a car die after starting it could be a simple fix that is somewhat cheap, but it could also be a huge issue and cost you out your nose.

I dont know your budget or your car knowledge but if both are relatively low I would tell you not to get this car.

How many miles does it have?
80xxx i think.
Old 06-26-09, 09:44 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by grindin8o8
80xxx i think.
That's really low miles for a 94................Engine swap maybe? I would try and get more information than what you have. See if by chance there is any record of maintenance, did you check vin yet to see if the title is valid and not salvage? Also how does he know the electrical problem is with the fuel pump and not something else?

That thing looks like it went through a war
Old 06-26-09, 09:46 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

he said it had a clean title. also said that the fenders like that because he hit a curb going around 60.
Old 06-26-09, 09:49 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by grindin8o8
he said it had a clean title. also said that the fenders like that because he hit a curb going around 60.
LOL hitting a curb at 60 makes me think that there is going to be more suspension damage to go along with the body damage, him saying it has a clean title does not mean it does, check it yourself never take a sellers word.

I'm betting insurance wanted to total it so instead of getting it fixed he decided to sell it. I still say look for a different car, this one is going to hold alot of surprises. Doing 60 and hitting a car tells me he beat the **** out of the engine as well.
Old 06-26-09, 11:45 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
LOL hitting a curb at 60 makes me think that there is going to be more suspension damage to go along with the body damage, him saying it has a clean title does not mean it does, check it yourself never take a sellers word.

I'm betting insurance wanted to total it so instead of getting it fixed he decided to sell it. I still say look for a different car, this one is going to hold alot of surprises. Doing 60 and hitting a car tells me he beat the **** out of the engine as well.
lol alright thanks for the advice.
Old 06-27-09, 09:41 AM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mileage is always a factor, see what it is with your own eyes.