Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

+5-15hp coolant line bypass LEXUS SC 300 400

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-02, 01:07 AM
slowtan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +5-15hp coolant line bypass LEXUS SC 300 400

Is this possible ?? It is the new thing on EBAY. The guy has some negative feedback but both of those were for a Mustang EGR block.. What do you guys think??
Old 04-01-02, 02:51 AM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Just do it yourself and save money.
Old 04-01-02, 04:48 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I suggest you do not do that. This is the most ghetto way to add HP.You do cheat the system when you remove that lil pipe. This makes your ECU run your engine rich. Its ok for a short period of time but might damage the engine if used all the time (damages valves). The best way to do the same thing is to get a well tumed S-AFC.

Overall, don't do that.
Old 04-01-02, 05:14 AM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

What's the problem with the coolant line bypass? I don't see how keeping hot coolant out of the TB would cause the car to run rich or damage valves.
Old 04-01-02, 06:14 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bypassing the TB in any car is bad news.

Its only benifit will be seen on the first qtr mile run with a cold engine. Don't do it for a daily driver, but thats just my opinion.
Old 04-01-02, 06:19 AM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Are you saying it would cause problems due to the intake overheating?
Old 04-01-02, 07:20 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not going to damage any valves or anything like that, guys have been performing that trick for years. It just bypasses the coolant line that flows through your t-body, the hot coolant heats up incoming air, and as we all know, cooler air is more densely packed with oxygen molecules and will therefore promote better combustion. F-body guys have been doing this for years, among others. I've done it, but not to my SC. That's not to say that I won't, I just haven't had a chance. The only concern is if you're in a cold climate. The line is there to keep your t-body from icing, the throttle butterfly could potentially stick in an open position and send you through somebody's living room. Not likely, but if you do live in a cold climate, then the bypass is not something you want to do. 5-15hp? No. 1-3hp? Yes, and every bit counts, especially with the SC, which looks alot faster than it is.
- Jon
Old 04-01-02, 07:34 AM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Yeah, that's what I thought it was for. Mine's been blocked for a while.
Old 04-08-02, 05:08 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of this procedure? I'm just curious...
Old 10-25-03, 04:23 PM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Here's an example on a GS400 perfomed by BananaGS. I take no credit for this DIY.
But I DID do this to my car a few days ago with a friend.

http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/GS_DIY/coolant_bypass/
Old 10-25-03, 05:37 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

you will gain .5 hp
Old 10-26-03, 01:47 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
You're not going to damage any valves or anything like that, guys have been performing that trick for years. It just bypasses the coolant line that flows through your t-body, the hot coolant heats up incoming air, and as we all know, cooler air is more densely packed with oxygen molecules and will therefore promote better combustion. F-body guys have been doing this for years, among others. I've done it, but not to my SC. That's not to say that I won't, I just haven't had a chance. The only concern is if you're in a cold climate. The line is there to keep your t-body from icing, the throttle butterfly could potentially stick in an open position and send you through somebody's living room. Not likely, but if you do live in a cold climate, then the bypass is not something you want to do. 5-15hp? No. 1-3hp? Yes, and every bit counts, especially with the SC, which looks alot faster than it is.
- Jon
I agree, you can also run into problems with emissions inspections if you do this... but otherwise its safe and it also makes working on the head/intake manifold easier (havent done it on the SC but on the Maxima and the 300ZX it makes things alot easier
Old 10-26-03, 03:37 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

This one of the first mods I did on my GS300 a few months ago. Installing the hose gets a lil tricky, especially with the wrong tools, but besides that it's pretty simple. As for horsepower gains... they're not noticeable. It's true that every little bit helps, but don't expect a big jump in performance. Rerouting the coolant doesn't have any negative effects unless your car is in frigid climates... living in sunny (ashy) southern california I never run in to that problem.
Old 11-26-06, 07:09 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The coolant running through the TB has also been said to reduce dirt/grime buildup in the TB itself-- by heating it up it's supposed to keep it cleaner due to EGR/ or PCV recirculation-- It seems minimal, but the Nissan SR20 TB gums up and needs cleaning because of it--
Old 11-27-06, 07:02 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
The coolant running through the TB has also been said to reduce dirt/grime buildup in the TB itself-- by heating it up it's supposed to keep it cleaner due to EGR/ or PCV recirculation-- It seems minimal, but the Nissan SR20 TB gums up and needs cleaning because of it--
3 year old dead thread resurrection.

Quick Reply: +5-15hp coolant line bypass LEXUS SC 300 400