Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Serious Loud chattering noise from underneath the car..???? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 10:59 PM
klepto2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Loud chattering noise from underneath the car..???? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Pulled into my neighborhood and I'm hearing serious chattering or clunking noises from underneath the car. Started when i made a slight turn in third gear and heard a slight chatter which at the time i didn't think much of. Didn't hear the noise again til i pulled into my neighborhood when it started getting louder. It's dark outside but I can tell it's coming from somewhere around the tranny. I have a w58 and a ACT clutch. Puzzled because my car has been driving fine and drove fine from work till the last block then the noise started.....There's been no slippage or grinding at all and I drive the car everyday. The chattering kinda reduces when I engage the clutch but really loud when i let go at idle. Sounds like something's broken or has come apart. Any ideas? Think the clutch is shot or is it the tranny.
Old 06-22-09, 11:10 PM
ucfjon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like it could be either the throw out bearing or the pilot bearing. maybe the input shaft bearing?
Old 06-23-09, 08:33 AM
mcwop23
Driver

make sure it isn't something stupid like the heat shield being loose down there or rubbing against something. Mine is making an awful racket right now and I just intend on cutting it off for the most part.
Old 06-23-09, 01:47 PM
klepto2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ucfjon
sounds like it could be either the throw out bearing or the pilot bearing. maybe the input shaft bearing?
Thanx. Did some research and it sure does sound like the throw or the pilot bearing.